Ivar Bloodfang is a pretty cool guy

Oh well that’s no fun. I was hoping to do a gag image of me going “HANG ON I’M FIXING IT, HORDE STYLE” by kiting one of the feral worgen to Bradensbrook but they auto-die if they wander too far from their spawn point.

2 Likes

Aw man I would’ve love to see it.

Ivar is a pretty odd situation, and it remains weird that he’s just sort of accepted out of hand. I mean, he and his pack were literally villains. They outright started as Gilneas’ own Wolf Cult, serving Ralaar/Alpha Prime and brutally murdering innocent civilians in the streets of Gilneas City as a form of initiation to “earn” the worgen curse.

Yet none of that ever comes up again once he’s pointed at the Forsaken during the leveling zones. He and his pack (notwithstanding any who were innocent victims that got turned during their attack on the capital) were straight-up a bunch of psychopaths butchering defenseless people for fun every night and deliberately spreading what amounted to an infection to the rest of their people. The very fact that there are Gilneans cursed as worgen at all is basically their fault, but it just sort of gets ignored.

Ivar’s not just “shady.” He and the willing members of his pack are legit awful, honestly pretty evil people who lucked into being useful to the rest of the Gilneans after their cult lost its leader and was predictably betrayed by Sylvanas.

6 Likes

Nah, those people left GIlneas pre-worgen outbreak. It honestly seems like Blizz has no interest in the worgen as a race, and just wants them to be humans from Gilneas. When you combine the lore developments of the curse NOT spreading to offpsring, and the fact that the heritage armor storyline was about a human Gilnean advocating that the curse should not be taken on by the unaffected, that pretty much dooms the worgen to being only a single generation of Gilneans. A hundred years into the future it’s entirely likely that Gilneas will be worgen-free and completely human again.

2 Likes

Yeah I… I really hate that.

Working a cultural curse into a society is a hot bed of story potential, they have a very cool potential but it seems like they want to get Gilneas back to an easily digestible human kingdom with gothic wallpaper.

5 Likes

Ivar Bloodfang took over the pack after the original Wolf Cult leader was taken down without the leader. Sylvanas decided it wasn’t worth using proxies to end Gilneas and decided to do an invasion herself. We don’t know how involved Ivar was at that point if at all. He just took over the remaining forces and joined Crowley.

I know, but I thought he’d have been involved in that stuff anyway. That’s what the cult did, after all. Just because he wasn’t the leader at the time, it wouldn’t make him innocent.

1 Like

Kinda, but remember the Wolf Cult initiated members, but they quickly became feral and were led by Alpha Prime Ralaar Fangfire, Night Elf Worgen, and Ivar wasn’t involved with those actions.

Relaar Fangfire

2 Likes

If true, that’s disappointing to hear. :confused:

I’m assuming horde races must be immune to ‘the curse’. There doesn’t seem to be any cases where the curse has been transferred. Imagine a Tauran worgen, or goblin worgen - a bigger meaner vulperish beastie.

Plus could make an interesting addition for a forsaken ‘allied’ race. Ex sons of Arugal perhaps, kept partially sane through apothecary concoctions.

On the alliance side I think there could be some interesting stories to be had for a pack mentality to assert itself within Gilnean society, that could even threaten or challenge the notion of government solely through hereditary kingship.

On Ivar Bloodfang himself. Was he Gilnean, Hillsbrad, or something else?

The only example of a Horde race being a Worgen is back in Classic where one of the Forsaken Apothecaries, Berard I think, is a Worgen in Silverpine Forest.

Now, that is not normal, in lore there are only two ways to become a worgen:

1. Being bitten or drinking the blood of a worgen, this is the main way and how just about every worgen in WoW currently became a worgen.

2. Having one of Arugal’s shackles placed on you. We see this in Classic with the Moonrage pack in Pyrewood Village, and this is why during the day the citizens are all human but at night they change into worgen. This is because Arugal made the shackles and altered the worgen curse with them so that they only change at night, although we also see some of the worgen who stay in that form so it’s possible some of the shackles just turn you into a worgen all the time, which would explain Apothecary Berard.

As for Ivar Bloodfang, I don’t think it is ever stated anywhere where Ivar is from. Most of the Bloodfang pack are the orginal Kaldorei worgen, so I always assumed that Ivar was a Kaldorei worgen.

I agree. I loved the dark gothic themes of the Gilneans, then add the whole worgen curse on top of it? SIGN ME UP! It was what sold me on the Worgen. Imagine having Gilneans/Worgen end up being like a dark, gothic people who are werewolves and they have this whole witchhunter vibe… using their curse as a strength to fight other monsters.

That’s what I wanted! But instead Blizzard has decided to go the dumb as hell route of, “LOL the curse doesn’t define the Gilneans and they want to get rid of it after this generation. Also we are going to change the Gilnen flag to have the Stormwind crest on it because lawl Gilneans/Worgen are just furry Stormwind Humans now. Forget giving them their own identity they will be boring now.”

10 Likes

The armor’s not so bad if you turn off the shoulders.

Mine is better though.

Agreed, but what pisses me off about the Worgen Heritage armor is that:

A) It is just a glorified version of the Nobleman’s Set from the Darkmoon Faire.

B) The Leather Set from the Castle Nathria raid literally uses the same assets as the Worgen Heritage Set EXCEPT they made the raid set an actual long coat…

WTF? Worgen players have been asking for a long coat for their heritage armor since they were announced and Blizzard was like trolololol no.

5 Likes

Still waiting for my trenchcoat

We are getting it in Shadowlands in the Castle Nathria raid. They couldn’t give Worgen the trenchcoat with their heritage armor, nah, they just took the assets of the worgen heritage armor to make the raid set and give that the trenchcoat look…

and monocle? for my tea parties …

Unfortunately we don’t get a monocle LOL

Well not all worgen need the ritual that the Gilneans went through to control themselves, although these worgen do tend to be more feral and vicious, we see see several examples of this:

1. The Wolf Cult were able to control their shifting before they attacked Gilneas as they hid in the city in human form until it was time to attack, turning those who wanted to be a part of the cult.

2. We see the Worgen in Grizzly Hills who can change at will and try to turn the PC.

It seems some are just better able to control the beast within, and I do think part of that is whether someone became a Worgen by choice or not. Notice how all the Gilneans turned during the attack on Gilneas was against their wills so they lost their minds when they transformed. But the members of the Wolf Cult that chose to become a worgen didn’t lose their minds and were able to control it without doing the ritual. So I think this explains Ivar being able to have his wits, he just likely had a stronger will, but he is still way more feral and vicious compared to Gilnean worgen.

As for why he was in Darkshore, that is likely because there was a huge amount of Forsaken there and he hates the Forsaken and wants to see them hunted to extinction. It was more of an alliance of convenience with the Alliance because they had a similar goal of getting rid of the Forsaken in Darkshore.

After that I’m legitimately worried the Forsaken heritage quest is going to be wandering around dream Lordaeron learning about how they’re really just Lordaeronians and the whole undead thing is irrelevant.

It would of course end with the invention of a nice chemical gas weapon called Bloom which makes flowers grow, clears up rainy days and brings Scrambles the Wonder Dog back to life.

4 Likes

After the Worgen Heritage quest, and the introduction of Calia, this is exactly what I expect. Maybe not a dream sequence, but something where the Forsaken players go back to Lordaeron, maybe clean up the Blight, and come to realize their undead curse doesn’t define them. Sylvanas’ Legacy doesn’t define them, they are Lordaeronians first and foremost.

I am willing to bet money that is what will happen. Then I will be doubly pissed if they give you guys a cool long coat like Nathanos since that is what I wanted for the Worgen since Genn was the first one to get a long coat LMAO.

Man, I’ll always be forever salty that worgen didn’t end up as a horde race. I get the intent on why they were added to the alliance, but they just would have seemed too perfect to me on the other side in like 5 different ways I can think of.