Itemization in WoW Classic

Can you link that? Thanks!

Thanks Kaivax for the really well thought out post.

Someone else earlier in this thread made a good point, those who have the “knowledge” about future stat changes may decide to bank a particular piece of gear where others without that knowledge may vendor it, leading to other player frustrations down the line.

Better to just have it all out on the table now.

It’s easy to see who the content creator fanbois are as they’re all bringing up BRE and R14 weapons (as featured in crappy YouTube videos). How about thinking for yourselves? BRE has a super low drop chance and you’ve gotta kill Rag first. And R14 is a whole ‘nother story. It will be fine.

Um…I started playing WoW in June of 2005. In that time I never accomplished the following before TBC:

• Having more than 2 characters at 60
  • Playing Horde side at all
  • Trying out Paladin, Mage, Druid, Shaman, Warrior
  • Completing ALL the quests for each zone
  • Clearing AQ or Naxx
  • Getting above rank 8 on any character

The above items will keep me occupied for well over a few years. This is especially true if I’m playing at the same rate as I was back then. Likely, it will be a bit less.

:cocktail:

2 Likes

GL on r14 gear. Hope they have 10 hours plus a day every day for months.

Time: 31:21 to 32:15.

No, it was gather materials/buffs/etc for raid, raid, then log off. Except we raided 5 hrs a day 5-6 days a week.

This is my first official concern with classic. I think this is a bad move. Itemization should be progressive. The first warrior to get Bonereavers Edge is going to be a god amongst men for a very long time.

Not well thought out at all. If private servers with little to no budget can do it why can’t a billion dollar company?

Because the databases no longer exist and they don’t want to guess what the numbers are supposed to be, they don’t want to guess at anything.

Besides, it’s not going to be that big of a deal, MC/BWL may die a week earlier but they were still going to die a lot quicker then Vanilla.

And honestly… I’d rather not deal with the first few rounds of itemization… they were extremely bad.

There are plenty of screen shots and videos with original stats all over the internet. With the amount of employees and money Blizzard has it wouldn’t be a problem finding the info needed.

And I don’t even care if it means raids will be conquered a week earlier. I’m PvP first – and it will have much more impact on PvP than it will in raid progression.

Except there’s very few people working on this project, and not every stat is perfectly preserved.

And it’s not like vanilla pvp was ever balanced anyway.

Blizzard would also have to verify that the screenshots and videos are authentic, and not from illegal servers, which are not always accurate; there may not be verifiable evidence of every item and its stats on the internet.

MC is a joke
BWL will humble you for the first month.
AQ40 will humble you for the first 3+ months
Naxx, I almost guarantee you that you will NOT kill KT. Unless you literally have a guild lined up right now with pserver experience.

People on this forum are making the mistake of generalizing all vanilla raids, they have been used to the retail model for too long. The retail model ensures that upon release, all raids are relatively the same difficulty, but with the expectation that you are semi-well geared up from the prior tier. Vanilla raid tiers scale exponentially. MC will likely be a joke even in full greens. BWL, even if your raid is near BIS MC geared, will be significantly harder. AQ40 will be far harder than BWL was upon release, even if your raid is full T2’d out. Naxx is even worse, I don’t think people truly realize what is required to be a guild that raids Naxx. 40 people need to spend atleast 200g per week on consumables, stack DM:T buffs, onyxia/nef head buff, ZG buffs, etc and play somewhat flawlessly, as wiping costs you all of those world buffs, tons in consumables and repairs, etc. Wiping in vanilla is atleast 10 times more severe on the raid than it is in retail.

The scaling difficulty of vanilla raid tiers is going to be even more severe in blizzards classic than it was in retail vanilla or than it is on any private server because of buffed pre-bis due to this itemization change, allowing 16 debuff slots, 1.12 talents and threat changes trivializes MC and BWL to a lesser but still significant degree. Come aq40, those buffed blues are barely going to matter, as you are expected to be in BWL+MC gear in order to raid AQ40, and these bosses will have proper spell resist and armor debuff stacking values (these two are huge wild cards).

tl;dr
people might get bored with vanilla in p1-p2 because they think the raids will all be as easy as MC is going to be. There will only be a handful of guilds per server clearing naxx by the end, if any.

2 Likes

Exactly, within a few months to a year or so we would reach all of these points amyways even if they did adjust itemization. The fact we are even getting rolling content was a shocker to me tbh. I fully expected them to just dump full 1.12 content and call it a day.

1 Like

Naxx is the only one that MIGHT stumble experienced people, and that’s mostly due to sudden group makeup changes for a certain boss (at least 6 geared tanks for horseman).

Only thing that will hang up ANYONE is they don’t understand how to gear, since the fights themselves were never very hard.

We were super bad back then because no one knew wtf they were doing, specially with gear.

Actually… the hardest part is picking the right server so you don’t get left on a dead one when 50% or more of the starting people quit.

Thanks for the update look forward to coming back to the game.

1 Like

Kaivax,

Thank you so much for this big update we have been waiting for.

I have two quick follow up questions to this:
1: Now that we have a pretty good idea that itemization will be 1.12, can we assume that early vanilla mounts (sometimes called “OG” mounts) will be in-game at launch? (Example - all black Nightsaber or all white Frostsaber in the case of Night Elves) - Or, will we instead see 1.12 epic mounts and no “OG” mounts?

2: How does this apply to Hunter pets? Big examples being BrokenTooth in the Badlands and Lupos in Duskwood. (For those unfamiliar with the topic, these Hunter pets had a unique attack speed and shadow damage). Presumably if we are in 1.12, these pets will be normalized.
(Perhaps this question is somewhat off topic given that the topic of discussion is itemization, not pets).

Thank you again for your reply and hope to hear more info as it becomes available.
See you all in Classic!

This is what I thought too; I thought they’d just give us a final product and say “Here you go, enjoy”, while thinking “Now please shut up…”. :laughing:

My biggest concern has been what we’ll be left with when all of the content has been released, and based on what we’ve been told it will be the proper 1.12 balance and content.

1 Like

I would presume they are guaranteed normalized, if we are really in the 1.12 version of the game.

As for your point one, I’m going to say probably not, pretty sure they were gone by then.

Thank you again for the timely update.

Sadly, I suspect you are correct. They certainly were LONG gone by 1.12.