It doesn't fit anymore ... Drop it

Probably about 50-50 gen X and gen Y I’d say.

1 Like

FYI, Millenials are the generation born between 1981-1995, according to Pew Research. Generation X is 1965 to 1980. Generation Z is 1997-2012. Generation Alpha was born in 2013-Now.

1 Like

only reason there easnt a mage boosting the first few months because there wasnt any maxed lvl/gear. 100% would have had boosting day if possible.

no one thinks they boost because they are lazy, they do it because it optimized way to level, and if you play classic ALL THERE IS TO DO IS OPTIMIZE.

so limited it how much your character can grow, so you better do it right and not waste time

Huh, I always thought millenials were more spread out than that.

I like how retail players continually come into the classic forums to get updates on what classic players think of them. Must be at peak boredom in bfa.

1 Like

tl;dr?

Leveling is always the worst part of the older MMOs. Why do you think so many P-Servers have sped up leveling on the older games. DAoC is a great example of games with that tooks months to level but are sped up now. The end game it the place people want to be. It has the most to do and everything on the way up is just a stepping stone to get there.

When leveling becomes a chore thats the issue i have (and the reason why i only leveled 2 Chars total). I would relevel in TBC if i had to though.

That being said most people want to get to the part of the game that held the most content for them. Yet when they got there the content was so easy as to be a joke. Even if people had issues, apperntly its still 8 months till we got to a point in the game where the gear MAY catch up to balanced state in AQ.

So what changed then? The answer, to me, is the mentality of people to want to min/max to the nth degree. The idea that Parse is the only thing that can rule your destiny.

You want to look back and think how you did the content back in the day and it was still go fast and have fun. Now its go fast or youre a scrub.

Im not even against min/Max or speed clears. But i will point out that this content for the most part was cleared without BIS gear. People wore tier because it was tier. I think in the end people are going to be dissapointed with content. Yes even Naxx once the feeling of new wears off and they start to slog though the content for weeks.

In the end i hope that people look beyond the numbers and look to the connections they made going into TBC or Shadowlands and think, " I want to play with these guys more".

3 Likes

Not only that but it turned out that all of the private servers were either totally wrong on things or purposely increased the difficulty of everything so people were approaching it from completely the wrong direction.

But in the end it’s min-max and the modern player culture being at odds with the philosophy of the original WoW. People approach the game way differently to how they did then, and it shows. Today’s culture is concerned with complete min-maxing, “most optimal” and parsing to show how great they are doing, and nothing else matters. it’s not enough to just down a boss, you have to down it and have a high-ranking parse for it. You need to speed clear the raid in 45 minutes rather than just clear it.

Totally different approach to the game because while the #NoChangers pushed for classic to not change, the world changed and we’re seeing how that mindset has polluted Classic with a mentality that wasn’t there when it was current.

4 Likes

Nobody to level with in open world, doesn’t feel like Vanilla - needs a different approach.

Ah.

I think anyone who thinks this right now needs a copy of Dale Carnagie’s book.

1 Like

You are all right in certain way.

Because my point, is just that … something doesn’t feel " right " anymore.

I love that game, i can’t deny. What I like about it is that everyone evolved at their own pace during Vanilla.

The purpose of leveling was to develop your professions, your reputation, gain gold …
But the change came faster than during Vanilla.

Auction House prices exploded, Items and Components are now incredibly expensive, people rush everything, difficulties to find a group for dungeons …
I don’t know maybe I am the one who can’t fit anymore :smiley:

2 Likes

Nah, you fit just fine, you just haven’t found the right home. :slight_smile:

Again I will express my hope that the bulk of the ones causing the above will move on to tbc, leaving the classic servers a bit more even keeled. Even better if when tbc occurs, they open a couple fresh vanilla servers, free of the damage done by it all. Extra credit if blizzard tweaks things on them such that gold cannot be shoveled up as easily and content is not a joke difficulty wise.

There is considerable debate and overlap on those years.

1 Like

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

3 Likes

Vanilla wow in 2005 was also full of retail players

5 Likes

I dunno, I don’t think it really started in full swing until TBC.

Thanks for the TLDR

3 Likes

Wow was ALWAYS a relatively easy MMO. Way back 15 years ago, when we all jumped over from other MMOs, the most common thong people said about the game, starting in OB, was exactly that, it’s an accessible dumbed down MMO (but it’s made by Blizz so we all knew it was gonna be big.)

People power leveled and min-maxxed all the time back then. But since the game was evolving rapidly with patches and entire class reworks coming every couple months, it was hard to get data and figure out what was ideal before the next wave of content/patches changed everything again, but the mentality was no different. The only difference now is we’ve had 15 years with the same patch and better tools to determine EXACTLY what is optimal, (and even that has evolved in some instances even after 15 years and Pservers.)

Tldr: Nothing has really changed but your perspectice

5 Likes

Oh I know it was happening, and people were clearing content, etc. - I just don’t think it became overly popularized until TBC - when the casuals who were introduced to Vanilla started to get interested in raiding and min/maxxing and the raid content became a lot more accessible.