It’s a shame frost is shaping up to be poor in DF

I was on the fence about it during SL. The fact it’s in even worse condition moving forward is sad

3 Likes

It’s a real shame. They seem to have made some minor changes in an attempt to fix it, like making GS maybe viable but for the msot part they are doubling down on the things that made the spec kinda sucky for SL and BFA. What could have been an amazing opportunity to re-work and re-design Frost has turned into just chucking our exiting spells, legendaries, covenants and conduits randomly into a tree shape and calling it a day.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who thought 2 charges of Flurry meant 2 charges of Brain Freeze? Is there a hardcast Flurry build I don’t know about? Getting a second proc just refreshes duration on Brain Freeze, doesn’t add a second stack. I guess I completely misread that talent. That was the fix everyone had been wanting for a while… not sure what 2 charges of Flurry even means… so what if I can hard cast two flurries in a row? I need to be able to save up Brain Freeze charges…

You’re not. Nobody hard casts Flurry, so it wouldn’t make sense to give it charges. Where have you seen that those aren’t instant casts?

I just looked online, and Flurry is no longer a cast; it’s an instant with charges that refresh from casting frostbolts. Your understanding was fine.

I honestly can’t imagine frost build being bad in PvP at all.

Flurry itself is entirely independent of Frostbolt; it’s just a two-charge instant-cast cooldown (just like Shimmer, if you take that talent). Brain Freeze is triggered by Frostbolt, and modifies your next Flurry.

The extra charge on Flurry basically means you have it available for a couple of instant casts during movement, even if you don’t have Brain Freeze active.

Charges get reset from casting frostbolts—30% without frozen touch and 36% with it. But yes. You start a fight with a charge that resets every 30 seconds if you somehow get unlucky with your frostbolt spam. XD

That’s what I meant to say

Maimed frost for SL in pvp. It was really lackluster. The aoe slows for big fights in ashram were nice I guess, but that was niche. For the most part it wasn’t that strong.

My biggest issue is that you just feel like you are tickling people whenever you play frost.

1 Like

you know, frost would be more fun if they werent the only spec in the game with an arbitrary crit requirement to function at full capacity.

shatter capping felt bad when i started playing it in legion, felt bad in BFA, and felt bad through SL. i gave up.

the worst feeling in a game where loot is supposed to feel good, is when you get loot you cant just… put on and roll with. you have to start mix and matching any garbage nonsense you had lying around (because youre a frost mage so you know you have to keep a bank full of horse crap around), trying to get that 33.34% crit cap without dunking a bunch of your stats into mastery, just so your spec will play properly.

you get to be squidward inside while spongebob is runnin around outside havin a great time.

the number of frost mages, that built their toon from the icy veins guides, but still couldnt figure out that the crit req was keeping them from doing more damage than someone 15-20 ilvl lower than them is insane. its not super intuitive. its confusing for players that just wanna go go go, and its tedious even for those of us that have been playing mage for a long time.

the design philosophy for frost is whack, and whoever insists that this is great and good flavor for the class is delusional.

sigh

sorry, ive been bottling that one up for a while. it’s one of the easiest specs to learn, one of the easiest to master even, held back by poor design philosophy and a development team that doesnt learn from their mistakes.

1 Like

Are you saying that you don’t want the crit cap for PvE? I’m confused

Having to hold an arbitrary amount of crit isnt fun. Its the only spec in the game with that sort of mechanic.