ISO Laptop recommendations

I have a cheap chromebook that I was using for amazon books, but it kind of died and I need a replacement. So I was thinking about maybe a Windows laptop instead. I want it to be physically small, but something that could run WoW.

Any recommendations? I haven’t purchased a computer in a while and I’ve lost track of specs.

Is this going to be what you play wow on primarily, or just sometimes

Just sometimes.

@Hokushan usually does pretty good reviews on entry level laptops.

Awesome, tyvm!

I don’t know if tagging works. But search his name here Hokushun or Hokushan…let me search because i forgot how to spell his name, LOL

here we go:

He also has a youtube channel with reviews. Great dude.

1 Like

I bought this a few weeks ago. It runs WoW fine. The battery sucks and the fans get loud but it’s my only experience with a gaming laptop.

https: //www .microcenter.com/product/621617/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-5659-156-gaming-laptop-computer—black

I was looking at that myself. I’ve never had a gaming laptop but have played on my work laptop at very low settings.

I see it has the GTX 1650 - how has that been running? I put a 1050ti in my (now retired) desktop last year and a 1060 in my son’s - the 1060 was much more robust (the 1050ti was great for me). I was thinking I would want at least a 1660 in a laptop just for (hopefully) a bit more longevity.

Also, just a quick FYI, if you put the URL inside Preformatted text (</>) then you won’t need the spaces.

OP - what kind of settings are you looking to run? High settings is going to mean a gaming laptop which will be more expensive and probably a bit bulkier. If you want entry-level/low-settings then you will have more options.

I can’t speak for Shadowlands, or even BFA, but in Legion, i mainly used this type of laptop for WoW and it ran great (well, relatively)

Intel Core i5-6300HQ
16GB DDR4 RAM (Pretty sure it was slow 2133, but dual channel)
GTX 960M 4GB

It played on a 5 pretty decently. Was satisfied with it.

It doesn’t really play games very well now (struggled to play Doom 2016), but I gave it to my dad and he loves it. Came with a nice 1080p IPS display.

That was before the mobile GPUs were able to be comparable to their desktop counterparts. So the 960M back in the day was closer to a 750 ti or something on the desktop.

A genuine 1650 mobile should perform pretty well, as long as it’s mated with a higher TDP CPU.

So your mom got the desktop and your dad got the laptop … let’s see if that helps me figure out who your favorite is … will report back soon.

Do you have a new laptop? Mine is no longer working well, but no need to upgrade yet since I’m not doing any remote work. I may end up getting one for the winter when I prefer to be in the living room with a nice fire going in the fireplace!

I haven’t really done enough to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down but I was impressed with how WoW ran on it. I bought it for FFXI (which only uses the Intel on-board graphics so that’s wretched) and Steam games that prefer a controller. Micro Center also has a version with a 2060 for $999.99 but the extra cost wasn’t worth it for me.

Yeah, I’m with you there. I won’t pay that much for a laptop either. I really prefer a desktop, my laptop tends to be something for remote work or convenience.

Lol well, my mom already has a laptop and my dad already has a desktop.

I picked her up Dell laptop with an i3-7200u, 8gb of ram, and i added a 500gb ssd on it. So she has my old i5 desktop but mostly uses the laptop.

I got my dad a refurbished HP SFF 8100; it has an older i5-3470, 8gb of RAM, and a 240gb SSD. Perfect for their uses. He uses it in his office for printing, browsing, etc.

The laptop was just because well, he had an ancient one, and I never use mine anymore since I bought a new house (previously, we had a small house and i didn’t have room for an office, so we gamed on laptops) and build desktops.

They’re happy with them, and rarely ever call me for problems.

I have a work-issued laptop so I don’t need to worry about work uses.

1 Like

This is one of the reasons that I almost always build/buy a whole new rig (other than maybe a GPU or storage upgrade) - there is always someone who can use the old one (or something I can use it for).

I’m also going to use your post to shame my son and tell him he should be giving me stuff! :wink:

1 Like

haha well

i owe them more than i could possibly repay

they took care of my kids when they weren’t old enough for school, and the wife and i worked.

and gave me life, there’s that too.

I do what I can - but these days with covid i don’t visit too much outside of weekly supply drop offs.

1 Like

I hear you Sal… My parents were there for me and my son - as with you, they took care of him before he was school age, while I was working.

Man I miss them…

1 Like