Island Expeditions Schedule

(Vertigineux) #21
If I'd actually had better experiences with loot drops, or if they didn't require you to go out of the way to get your chance to actually trigger, this might be enough to rope me in.

Ideal: "Hey, these are themes, and simply by completing the scenario, in any way you choose, you have a chance at loot. Winning and higher difficulties increase your chances a little, to better the risk vs reward balance."

Actual: "Here's the theme. You have to kill this rare, open the hidden 47 chests in a secret order on your first try while everyone in the group is transmogged into a red coloured chest piece, sitting exactly 33.8 inches off the ground, listening to Never Gonna Give You Up in perfect sync. That will then give you a .001% chance at an extra reward!"

(Rankin) #22
10/12/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Nathure
It's not impossible, at the 4º consecutive attempt you get to open the chest. Just click fast ;)

I tried clicking well over four times, and could never get it to open up. It definitely needs to be looked at and fixed.

(Yura) #23
Never get to do any invasion because they spawn when we're 5 sec away from capping azerite and the island ends.

(Rekknots) #24
Edit: Posted in the wrong thread. I tried to delete this post but it is not letting me for some reason.

(Bustò) #25
What about the Azerite Elemental event that happens midway through EVERY expedition and drops nearly enough Azerite to end?

(Nathure) #26
10/12/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Yura
Never get to do any invasion because they spawn when we're 5 sec away from capping azerite and the island ends.

Thats because they are very bad desinged for mythic... for normal both teams need to have about 2.5/3k points to invasion pop, and heroic your team and the other faction need to have about 6.5k for the invasion come, but like i said, you need to let the other faction score as well, and for mythics is so bad that somethimes you never get one invasion, even with both factions at 11k points, and you usually can kill a single rare cause they give 800 points ,-,

(Xyona) #27
10/12/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Yura

you're not missing much either way but I understand your point..

you still might not get anything from killing the portal rare or whole invasion..

(Dathras) #28
The only thing Expeditions give you are the potential for cosmetic rewards that are time and RNG gated. What about people that aren't really interested in cosmetics? Feels like a huge waste of dev time for only a subset of the playerbase.

(Soeroah) #29
Oh damn. I didn't realise the invasions were gated. Now I feel like the chance of getting any specific item is going to decrease over all as the weeks go on..

Kinda wish there was an Island event along with the Dungeon/Pet battle etc events that makes the special items drop more, or helps us farm them better.

(Soeroah) #30
10/12/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Dathras
The only thing Expeditions give you are the potential for cosmetic rewards that are time and RNG gated. What about people that aren't really interested in cosmetics? Feels like a huge waste of dev time for only a subset of the playerbase.

It's also a big source of weekly Azerite.

Also, why does it matter when collectors finally get something (even though it's not really designed around collecting as an endgame... at all...)? Pet battles, battlegrounds and raids are all things that were designed for "only a subset of the playerbase". They may be larger portions of the playerbase, but people who hunt cosmetics are by no means an insignificant portion of players. Thus all the complaining about the drop rate being too low, the success of addons like All The Things and the reason Arathi and Argus and soon Darkshore have a bunch of pets, toys, mounts and mogs to collect.

Besides which, the majority of the Island cosmetics (the weapons and armour sets) are, as far as I'm aware, old data from previous expansions that have never actually been available until now. The only really new things are the 12 toys, 28 pets and 5 mounts. And then hundreds of weapons and armour pieces.

So, basically, and this'll sound harsher than I mean it, if you interpret Islands as being just for people who hunt cosmetics, it logically follows if you aren't interested in those rewards the content isn't for you, so you can safely ignore it and all the problems the design has.

(Maizou) #31
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769457141#post-12

So... I was right? Lol.

I also made a post on Reddit about it that went largely unnoticed, lol.

(Frerin) #32
i am 32k Azerite away from Azerite Admiral and not one mount........I HATE THIS MODE!!! i cant express enough how much i hate this mode and its RNG..............

(Killingit) #33
This is great and all but all it does is dilute us from getting already seemingly impossible to obtain mogu and pirate mounts.

(Frerin) #34
10/12/2018 09:01 PMPosted by Killingit
This is great and all but all it does is dilute us from getting already seemingly impossible to obtain mogu and pirate mounts.

Right? ive killed countless mogu and pirates(non invasion ones do they even count?) and nothing.

Be great if we could choose the invasion mobs we would like to see and get grouped with like minded people. atleast that would allow us to target stuff. Kinda like the checkbox list for specific dungeons only for invasion mobs.

(Maizou) #35
10/12/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Soulprison
Oh goody, more time gated cosmetic/pet rewards. Let me guess. These events drop items that will ONLY appear during these event essentially giving us only a couple opportunities a year to get them.

They're permanent additions to the invasion rotation after they start.

As I detailed in my other post in the pet battle forums, Kvaldir and Fire/Earth Elementals were added after Island Expeditions launched.

All it does is add another species type to the roll when an invasion is rolled for.

So once everything is unlocked, instead of rolling for like 1 out of like 6 invasion types, it'll roll for like 1 out of like 14.

On top of that, Black Dragons, Tol'Vir, Twilight Dragons, and Old God Minions are also in the game files as possibilities for the Main Inhabitants of a few of the Islands. I assume after their invasions are unlocked, they also enter the main inhabitant roll as well.

So no, if anything, this just helps add even more variety to Island Expeditions.

Yes, the timegating is stupid, but honestly, in a way, it actually helps make some of the gear less rare, as it means we had 2 months with it competing with less mob types.

In a month, for instance, those Fire Elemental Druid pieces will be even rarer, because those fire elemental invasions will be competing with 14-15 different mob types as opposed to like 8-9 it is now. So the people who did Island Expeditions early, or played BFA early will be at an advantage.

No? Do the Rotting Mire this week. Pirates are the main inhabitant. You will encounter Pirates on every Rotting Mire.

Likewise, Mogu have a chance of being the main inhabitant each week.

When mount farming, you want to do it when they're the main inhabitant. You don't mount farm from invasions. That's ridiculous. Invasions are mainly for transmog and pet farming.

(Killingit) #36
Could the bug with the coldlight surfrunner pet not dropping be fixed? It's currently impossible to even finish the pets achievement because of this. Not a single person in the game has acquired it. Please don't make this like the pandaria sha mount where it did not drop for who knows how long.

(Caféaulait) #37
10/12/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Frerin
i am 32k Azerite away from Azerite Admiral and not one mount........I HATE THIS MODE!!! i cant express enough how much i hate this mode and its RNG..............

Waaaaaaaaa, some people got Azerite Admiral in the first week of BFA launch. Damn whiners.

(Maizou) #38
10/12/2018 09:08 PMPosted by Killingit
Could the bug with the coldlight surfrunner pet not dropping be fixed? It's currently impossible to even finish the pets achievement because of this. Not a single person in the game has acquired it. Please don't make this like the pandaria sha mount where it did not drop for who knows how long.

To be fair, we still don't know if it's bugged or if it's set to drop off a mob type that hasn't shown up yet like Old God Minions. It's not a normal Murloc, it's one of those mutated dark murlocs, so it dropping from Old God Minions -would- make sense, especially with the flavor text of the pet suggesting that all the coldlight murlocs randomly vanished one day.

90% chance it's bugged, 10% it's set to drop off a mob type we haven't seen yet.

But yes, some acknowledgement, as a pet collector, would be nice.

(Killingit) #39
10/12/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Maizou

No? Do the Rotting Mire this week. Pirates are the main inhabitant. You will encounter Pirates on every Rotting Mire.

When mount farming, you want to do it when they're the main inhabitant. You don't mount farm from invasions. That's ridiculous. Invasions are mainly for transmog and pet farming.

What do you mean no? Clearly it's dilution as many people actually go for invasions in their island runs and less chances at those invasions is less chances at mounts period end. I have no idea what you mean by people farming invasions for pets either. There is maybe 1 pet that can think of the mantid drop that can be obtained from invasion.

I'm no tourist an understand the island rotation and inhabitants. But we have to grind 2 islands in between chances at the pirate island and it would be nice to have as many chances at mogu/pirate first and 2nd invasions. When you are on your 10th giggling flame and see another fire invasion its just a waste.

(Maizou) #40
10/12/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Killingit
10/12/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Maizou

What do you mean no? Clearly it's dilution as many people actually go for invasions in their island runs and less chances at those invasions is less chances at mounts period end. I have no idea what you mean by people farming invasions for pets either. There is maybe 1 pet that can think of the mantid drop that can be obtained from invasion.

I'm no tourist an understand the island rotation and inhabitants. But we have to grind 2 islands in between chances at the pirate island and it would be nice to have as many chances at mogu/pirate first and 2nd invasions. When you are on your 10th giggling flame and see another fire invasion its just a waste.

You have an equal chance at every island each time.

I've gotten the same island twice in a row before.

And every island starts with a "mini-invasion." There's always one group of small mobs that invades the island at the start. So you have two chances at pirate/mogu.