Is Wrathion really Wrathiona?

Is Wrathion really Wrathiona?

I’m sad, boring fanfiction writer who was kicking around ideas on what to do next in one of my stories when something dawned on me…what if Wrathion is a female dragon that has taken on a male mortal form? Please bear with me and I apologize if this has already been brought up. This concept has already happened at least once in Warcraft lore or did until it was retconned. Chromie was originally a male bronze dragon that took on a female gnome form because he thought it was cute. For some odd reason, Blizzard changed it so that Chromie was a female dragon (Maybe she had the operation or magical version of it /shrugs).

There are a few hints towards Wrathion actually being female, which can be seen in his dragon form. Please take a look at some of the dragons of note we’ve seen so far, especially the breeding age males and females. The males either have no horns, small multiple tiny growths that could be horns, or relatively narrow horns when in dragon form. They also wear no or very little jewelry. The females generally have large, thick horns and they put on the bling.

Wrathion’s dragon form has rather think horn buds and he’s already started putting on the jewelry in the form of gold bands around them.

Then there is another possibility, he’s both. Wrathion was created from three different organic sources; a wild egg, a dead whelping and one of Nyxondra’s eggs. What if two eggs were female and the whelp male? Or visa versa? Or one egg male the other female? You get the idea. That may also be the reason for the very unique model he has, he has the markings of both a male and female dragon.

Just a thought or two that I figured couldn’t hurt to share after being up for almost 48 hours.

Now I’m gonna go hide in my fire-proof bunker and wait for the flames to die down. Bye!

4 Likes

Either way I think we ought to respect his gender identity.

10 Likes

This is actually a cool what if as like you said we can never know if he is a he naturally as like you said Chronomu was a Male Dragon in a female Gnome humanoid form. But if he is really a She then it would be weird that she is basically fighting her older brother for control of the flight when I think most rules like that go to the next of kin if male.

1 Like

While I’m not saying it’s not possible, there are a few holes in your theory.

Part of your premise is that Wrathion has horns, which you state are less prominent in males. However, if you look at models of Nozdormu, Senegos, Arygos, Itharius, Eranikus, and most importantly, Nefarion and Neltharion/Deathwing, as he’s a black dragon, you’ll see they all have horns.

While some of them seem to be a more generic dragon model, those with unique models show prominent horns, especially the black dragons.

One of the reasons we knew that something was up with Chromie is the naming convention. In the bronze dragon flight, male names tend to end in -dormu, while females end in -dormi. While there are exceptions, you see similar differentiation in names with the red, blue, and to a lesser extent flight the green and black flights.

While Chromie had a female as her mortal form, their full dragon name is male. Whether in error or on purpose, this difference was noticed when the avatar and the full dragon name were made known, and that is when discussion of Chronormu’s preferred gender identity began.

Wrathion is a little different in that both his dragon name and presented mortal form match. His dragon presentation is also very conceivably male, the more attention to decoration being explained by the more prominent role he plays as a reoccurring character in the narrative. The more screen time you get, the greater the chance of you getting a detailed, unique model, as can be seen with Azshara’s evolution over the years, and even more so with Sylvanas

Is Wrathion a female presenting as male? Possibly, but we don’t have much evidence to corroborate said theory

1 Like

It’s a pressing issue because…?