Is WoW truly dead?

According to sources online (google sullygnome > most watched games), WoW was the 12th most watched game on Twitch… beating New World and FF14

Even in December, twitch viewership suggests that Final Fantasy is nowhere close to beating WoW (despite it being the launch month, and people stuck waiting in queues)

Is WoW truly dead, or is it just TBC classic/SoM propping it up?

2 Likes

Wow-watching on twitch is dead?

Wow isn’t dead until they pull the plug on it and turn out the lights.

11 Likes

I don’t think it’ll ever die, whenever the population bottoms out (if it hasn’t already), the people who just won’t leave no matter what will be able to keep the game afloat, mostly because of the whales that keep buying gold.

3 Likes

It was never alive.

I’ve read that if there were fewer than 1 million players it would no longer be profitable.

Viewership on Twitch is not reflective of active game users. Nor is it reflective of profitability for the company.

New World is an absolute garbage game with a very dim future ahead, for example

3 Likes

Expansions are pretty anorexic when it comes to content these days, they’d be a lot cheaper to make than the big high quality ones of the past, plus with all of the merged servers, CRZ, sharding and whatever other nonsense is going on saves Blizzard on hardware costs. I think no matter what happens, Blizzard will just keep adapting and find ways to milk as much money is needed from those of us that are left.

6 Likes

I think if they can’t stop the bleeding Activision isn’t going to invest in an engineering project to make this a much smaller infrastructure.

1 Like

As long as Blizzard keep the cinematic dept. with a good budget, it’s all good.

Let’s be real… every single release cinematic ropes everyone into a new expansion HARD.

Breaking sales records thanks for that dept every time LOL

3 Likes

There’s no new content, and the game is slow so why would people watch it.

Is it dead? Hell no, it’s just slowed down. Still has more players than the selfy camera patch of WoD

No point stressing over it

I think WoW is close to walking the EQ path - it’ll remain, just downsized to a fraction of what it used to be.

4 Likes

WoW’s been dying since it released in Nov. 2004

4 Likes

What’s the metric for death? No brain activity?

:thinking: You may have something.

1 Like

Twitch views are meaningless either way. Only a fraction of players actually watch those streams.

But no WoW is not dead. It gets occasional rocky or slow patches, but this is nothing like a game that’s really failing and dying. People are overdramatic. We’re fine, we’ll survive.

Yep.

This is the end.

Just like Wotlk.

And then mop.

Then legion.

1 Like

for me , viewers are still relevant and show the potentiel of players , games can pull .$
Every top pc games on twitch are the most played

wow is kinda ‘’ dying ‘’ but even if they have only 1-2M subs , when 10.0 will pop , they will go up to 5M-10M subs again

Pretty sure wow has more of a older game base. We play the game and not watch someone else play it.

My kids on the other hand , will watch people play games. So can’t base it that.

2 Likes

Twitch does not equal game health.

WoW doesnt die or revive. It goes through cycles. True, it has been going down more than up last few years, but all blizz has to do is bring fun back. Stop metricing everything.

Will they? Dunno.

The the combat system in wow is still one of the best with easy excess to many addons.

This alone will keep it alive.

Final Fantasy players hate watching external sources as they don’t want the story spoiled.

They really REALLY hate spoilers…

Which is a testament to how different WoW and FFs story style are, FF’s crowd still treats their cinematics and stuff like a new movie and somewhat positively reviewed movie, waiting to experience the magic themselves and are hearing how good it was from others. WoW? we see the new stuff and are just like: “Yeah we all saw this coming and knew it’d be terrible!”… FF to WoW is like comparing the first movie of a promising new series to the 19th Nightmare on Elm Street movie…

7 Likes