Is WoW toxic?

Hi there! Since the pandemic hit, there is not much to do in terms of doing stuff outside our homes, so with the new expansion out, I´m thinking in returning to WoW.

I played a considerable amount of time from Vanilla days up to Wrath. I did pvp, raids, etc. Then I took a break and returned casually for Legion, for about a month or two.

Since then I have been absent from the game and the community, and I wanted to know if the community is in any way toxic or how is it nowadays?

Thanks!

It’s no more toxic than the rest of the internet. (Which I realize probably isn’t very reassuring.) Honestly, it doesn’t feel much different from how it was in the Vanilla-Wrath days.

1 Like

The best bit of advice I can give you is to keep trade chat turned off unless you actively need it for something. I hardly ever have an issue using this tactic.

7 Likes

Haha no, but that´s not far from what I expected . Thanks for the heads up

WoW in of itself is not full of toxic players, but you’ll run into them. From the past few months I’ve really ran into 2 people who were really toxic, both in heroic dungeons. I’d reckon you’d see a lot more toxicity in very competitive content, like m+ or high arenas since it gets really heated.

I’ve been playing SL 40 hours a week and have experienced very little toxicity only a few. I haven’t noticed a difference between Mythic + and queues in regarding toxicity.

Thanks for the advice!

I’ve got to add that I run into more highly helpful and friendly players than highly toxic players.

Thanks! I suspected that. I guess there are guilds and people that like to play on the casual side of things; and that´s what I would be looking for if I decide to return.
Thanks for the answer!

i totally recommend wow… to ppl i don’t like

lately wow is as friendly as a political debate in a biker bar

4 Likes

Yes just look at these elitists in the forums. Toxic af.

1 Like

the forums are a place for angry players to air their grievances. Most folks in the game arent toxic

your comment is misleading. maybe most ppl aren’t toxic, but you can’t turn on trade chat for an hour or do more than one epic bg without being hit with toxic diatribes

1 Like

It’s only toxic if I go looking for toxicity in places where I know it lives? Stop hitting yourself.

1 Like

who knew logging in was ‘looking for toxicity’?

your comment only illustrates my point

If you opened an online chat room with a million gamers, there would be about the same percentage of toxicity as in WoW. Toxicity is very rare in groups where there is accountability.

1 Like

With as large a population as WoW has, there are bound to be some toxic people. It’s going to vary by server, faction, guild, time of day you’re playing, etc. Just don’t stick around a toxic environment.

For example, my guild switched servers because our old server was so toxic on Alliance. Our new server is awesome, a lot less toxicity. To make it even more interesting, my Horde alts are now on my old Alliance server, and the Horde side is not nearly as toxic (although it used to be, but a lot of the toxic people left a long time ago).

WoW toxicity level is equal to LoL.

trade chat is and always has been toxic, don’t be shy about muting anyone offensive and forget them.

That’s incorrect. Other games are less toxic. I’ve just played ff14 for over 6 months and haven’t had a single rage-quitter or toxic encounter the entire time.

WoW is undeniably very toxic, and it’s mostly because it isn’t moderated. People can act in disgusting, rude ways and unless they’re literally broken a law it’s very unlikely anything will happen to them.