Is wow just an esport now?

I’ll admit I may be overreacting, but I had such a horrible time levelling my spriest to 120 that it made me not want to play the character. I figured I’d try levelling my horde dk to 120 to see if that was better but I just didn’t enjoy any of it at all. It’s kinda a shock for me to go from legion where you had a unique weapon with a huge backstory and lots of unique mechanics to losing the majority of said perks and having them replaced with azerite armor that allows you to heal for 600 health every time you take damage…

1 Like

Ok I totally understand your frustration friend, I’m not a fan of azerite either I think the system blows.

But what does that have to do with esports?

2 Likes

No you can still play this game on your own or with others. Esport is just something extra for high level players to do you literally don’t have to pay attention to it at all to play this game.

Nothing, I was just salty. Wrong thread on my part, sorry about that.

It’s argued that blizzard made classes less complex so that it’s easier for viewers to follow, like in 3vs3 matches. A 3s match in MoP vs now is vastly different.

So just a conspiracy theory.

The Esport shift in mentality is obvious.

Timed runs in place of adventure. A slow shift from WPvP to battlegrounds to centralizing arena.

Then they have literal competitions based around these things. Dungeon race competitions! Aka Esport mentality.

Also pruning in WoD was minimal compared to what we have now. The major class overhauls came with Legion.

20 Likes

thats what im talking about the only thing in wow thats not an esport is leveling…lol.

as soon as blizzards pet phone battle game launches you can bet there will be pet battle esprts…lmao.

2 Likes

No you can still play this game on your own or with others. Esport is just something extra for high level players to do you literally don’t have to pay attention to it at all to play this game. I feel like i needed to say this twice.

buu the wow name has shifted from a mmorpg to an esport.

3 Likes

Existed since MoP, with challenge modes, before the MDI. Actually, even in Culling of stratholme, there was an extra boss based on how fast you completed it.

Arenas became the focus in BC, way before esports.

1 Like

So let’s break this down.

What do you mean shift away from WPvP? They just released war mode, a massive boost to the wpvp content.

Timed runs instead of adventure. Mythic plus didn’t replace anything, it added on to it. Before, you ran heroic dungeons for a few weeks at xpac launch then literally never again. Those heroics still exist, it’s just now 5 mans can stay relevant during an entire xpac.

So again, do any of y’all have actual points or do y’all just wanna be mad?

1 Like

Except timed runs were not the central focus. They existed, now they are central to gearing.

And no, arenas were not the focus in TBC. They were new, growing. Now, you are flat out behind in PvP if you don’t arena (or BG every single day to compensate). The system is set up for it.

Before BFA, it wasn’t only “do a single bg of each type for conquest.” You could spam BGs in place of arenas even in WoD.

9 Likes

all warmode did was remove pvp servers.

2 Likes

It’s because they change every aspect of the game to be compatible with esport mentality.

10 Likes

And set up ways for people to participate in pvp regardless of their server. It’s been a major boost to wpvp participation

I disagree with the PVP part. They absolutely were a focus in TBC. And in other expansions. I think they’re less of a focus now actually.

Back in other expansions, you needed rating to even get certain slots. And conquest came only from arenas. Nowadays it’s a lot less arena focused. Especially with the introduction of RBGs, which popular or not, does show that it isn’t just arena or nothing.

I think what they’re getting at is esport type games are easy to watch, they’re friendly to twitch viewers. When you tune into an esport type game like a MOBA or FPS the first thing you notice is how easy it is on the eyes, not a lot of buttons or abilities for one class.

Usually the top games on twitch are esport type games, I guess Blizzard is dumbing this game down to reach that type of audience as well or perhaps even get WoW to a point where you can port over to console.

Tinfoil hat theory ofc.

3 Likes

Do you have a specific example of a system in the game drastically changed in the name of “esports”?

1 Like

First thing that comes to mind is the talent tree

8 Likes

If you listen to PvPers?

The input of GCD was created because people couldn’t follow what Pro PvPers were doing because abilities were being hit too fast.

6 Likes