Is unbound chaos good now?

Havent played for some time, missed the change
600% seems pretty decent, whats dh community verdict?

It’s pretty decent, but the main reason almost every DH uses it for keys is because it’s uncapped aoe. Glaive tempest is capped at 5 targets

It’s good in pvp, and for mass pulls. I’m just not huge fan of it. I’d rather take glaive tempest in M+. Don’t wanna run the risk of awkward butt pulling with it in dungeons.

Run through the pack and Fel Rush back the way you came. Or Fel Rush into a wall or other obstacle. It’s fairly easy to avoid pulling extras with it, tbh.

1 Like

is good damage, but only if you have more than 6 enemies together, other wise you will fly pulling extra mobs, falling from edges etc… you will have a blast!

in normal 14 16 wont be that much difference since glaive tempest have lower cd

Ya, Glaive has a lower CD, but the offset is that it costs fury where UBC does not (permitting that Fury to instead be spent on Chaos Strike, which can then translate into faster Eye Beam recharge). UBC also only “costs” a 0.5s GCD, versus the full 1.5 (hasted) GCD of Glaive Tempest, though time spent out of melee range from the Fel Rush also counts against it. UBC is also instant damage rather than over 3s, though that’s rarely that relevant.

In terms of raw damage, UBC is Fel Rush’s 31.625% * 7 = 221.375% AP, while Glaive Tempest is 14 ticks (2 immediately and then 2 every 0.5s for 3.0s) at 15.3% each, for a total of 214.2%. Both are Chaos damage and thus scale identically with mastery.

So in terms of raw damage per target, they’re nearly identical. Glaive Tempest has 2/3rds the cooldown, but also costs 30 * (1 + haste%) Fury per second, while UBC is free. Realistically, the two are essentially equal up to 5 targets, where GT stops scaling and UBC does not. And that is why UBC is often the preferred of the two, because it’s basically the same at 5 and under targets, and superior at 6+.

It’s about a 200 dps increase overall throughout a dungeon IE you can expect 6K vs 5.8K but it comes with it’s own challenges

I still have ptsd from fel rush bugging out and launching me forward 500 feet. Personally I’ll be sticking with glaive tempest for pve.

Well, Glaive Tempest is about to win anyway, they un-buffed UBC in 9.1, back to 500% instead of 600%.

Thank god. I can go back to saving fel rush for its movement instead of using it for damage.

2 Likes

The point of it being better than GT is it doesn’t cost Rage, whereas GT costs a heavy bit. Also much less if a cooldown (as well as off global? Don’t remember, am at work and too lazy to look up lol).

GT has a shorter cooldown, not UBC. UBC is tied to Immo Aura, which is a 30s hasted CD, where GT is a 20s hasted. However, yes, GT costs a full (hasted) GCD, while Fel Rush is on a fixed 0.5s GCD (though any time that you then spend out of melee range on smaller targets also counts against it. Doubly so because no AAs).

The fury cost is the biggest piece, though. I ran the numbers in another thread, and the net is that UBC is still going to be on top for single target, but it’s lead is shrinking from ~3% to ~2%. Part of that is that any buff to Chaos Strike is indirectly a relative nerf to anything else that costs fury, so the boost to CS and DB is also effectively a nerf to both GT and any Blade Dance based build (though as another poster pointed out over there, the buff to CS is also an indirect buff to Chaos Theory, which can offset the relative weakening of Blade Dance vis-a-vis Chaos Strike).

1 Like