Is too many alts bad

hi everyone sorry to be a pain but i wanted your opinion on something i started playing wow again since the pandemic and since 2 months ago i been making tons of alts lol never really been a alt guy i was just gonna keep with my dh but when i unlocked all the allies i started making them and a lot and ended up with the 12 classes lol 2 are 120 one in 100 and the others are all in 20 i figured i just make all the classes and let them chill in a inn to build rested exp so i can level faster when i want to play them so what are you thoughts about that is it not advisable to do that lol im a pain i know just was asking for your opinion thanks in advance .

2 Likes

There are people with hundreds of alts. You’re fine.

10 Likes

Hello, my name is Brahmina, and I’m an altoholic.

The only thing bad about making a lot of alts is if you let yourself get stressed about playing them all, getting them geared, etc. I think that your plan of letting them chill in an inn and playing them only when you feel like it is a sound one.

16 Likes

Do you enjoy it? If your answer is yes, then no, it’s not a bad thing.

8 Likes

Wow has long been heading an a direction that one could consider “alt-unfriendly”. Shadowlands looks no different. Keeping alts at a competitive level was always hard but it’s about to get harder.

If you don’t play the game to be competitive at a high level of PvP or PvE then no, alt away my friend.

Alting could absolutely drain power from your established “main” character however.

You can only have up to 50 characters though

Serious altaholics get more accounts. I’d never do that, but there’s people that have.

3 Likes

NEVER!!!

12 Likes

I have (cough) more than one account. Many with my affliction (altoholism) do the same.

6 Likes

Oh god I can’t imagine. I’m already stressed out with like 20

1 Like

No, not bad. They are extra weekly mount rolls.

1 Like

I feel you. I got 24 because I wanted to have one of each class on each faction, but it’s just too much. I should have done 6 and 6, but it’s too late. I love my toons too much to delete any :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Sometimes I login and go “who should I play on…” then I can’t make up my mind and log off lmao

11 Likes

Shadowlands is squishing the time to level by more than half and letting you start endgame content on alts at level 50 once you’ve been through all the zones on another character.

Shadowlands is arguably the most alt-friendly expansion in recent memory.

2 Likes

The better question is what your goals are in game.

If it’s something like organized raiding and PVP you may want to have a “main” along with 2-3 “main alts” you focus on, and play the rest more sparingly. Otherwise play what you want.

DUDE, I thought I was the only one. I haven’t played seriously in days 'cause of that :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Berelth, I’m Mooriartee, and I’m an altoholic.

Admitting the problem is the first step on the road to recovery, although I must warn you that with altholism, there isn’t really a recovery, more like coping mechanisms.

One such tactic is to use the Altholic addon, which will help you track what alts have what stuff on them, in their banks, etc. It can also monitor your mail for you, in case you leave messages in an inbox on your alts and warn you before they expire whenever you log into a member of your alt army.

Also, in the Horde, we have Altholics Anonymous meetings in all the major cities, and I’m led to understand that there are similar meetings in the Alliance cities. You can check the message boards for locations and times.

Welcome to the Club!

/moo :cow:

7 Likes

I don’t log in if I don’t have a plan/character/goal in mind. Otherwise I’d probably be overwhelmed and log off.

2 Likes

I have 21 characters at 120. Seven of them have cloaks. I think at least 5 of them are at rank 9.

I’m working on 3 more. When I’m done, I’ll have one for every DPS spec.

I’ve never used heirlooms outside of the heirloom axe Garrosh dropped in Siege on my two-handed DPS toons. Oh, and I think one of my guys is running around with a 1-60 ring right now because he didn’t have a ring to wear.

2 Likes

Is too many alts bad?

I do not know, you tell me.

8 Likes