Is this the worst writing in warcraft ever?

The Kyrian know they are sending souls straight to the maw.

They explicitly acknowledge that they’re doing that, and their reason for not stopping is just because “It’s their duty”.

There wouldn’t even be an expansion if the Kyrian had two brain cells to rub together and just decided to take all the souls to bastion just to hang out for a while until everything gets sorted out. There’s writing characters to be wrong or misguided and then there’s writing characters to be literally insane just so you can have the plot you want.

24 Likes

I still don’t understand how death in the shadowlands works, and I don’t think the writers do either.

62 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. None of the questline I’ve done has the Kyrian sending souls anywhere.

5 Likes

Bad writing is typical to the warcraft series.

11 Likes

That’s their whole job. They bring souls from their place of death to the shadowlands. In the covenant questline, they explicitly say “Yes, we know all these souls go to the super mega hell and power up super satan, yes, we could just stop working, no, we won’t do that, it’s our job.”

3 Likes

Eh? I’ve seen none of my Kyrian friends mention that on Discord.

The specific dialogue is
“Why do we continue to ferry souls when we know they are being sent straight to the Maw?”
“It is not out duty to ensure that souls are reaching their proper realms, it is our duty to bear them through the veil.”
“The Archon, along with the rest of the Eternal Ones, is working to solve the problem. We must support her by fulfilling our duty no matter what.”

11 Likes

Sure they’re ferrying souls but you’re also rescuing the souls after.

I mean, it makes sense. The Kyrian are devoted to the path, to the point where they’ve lost all memories of what they were before entering the path. The path is all they know.

They could take all souls to Bastion, but even if they were inclined to deviate, Bastion is in an anima drought so they probably couldn’t support having so many souls coming in.

1 Like

Souls ARE anima.

It only makes sense if the Kyrian aren’t even supposed to be characters but utterly mindless automata - which is clearly not the case. If it WERE the case, the right thing for the PCs to do would be to put them down to stop causing problems. Hell, the jailer should be supporting the actual Kyrian, not the forsworn! The Kyrian’s blind devotion to the path is the only reason he’s having any success, why would he ever try to ferment discontent with it?

3 Likes

It’s from Chapter 3, so we’re only hitting it this week.

I looked it up.

Holy crap that is straight-up stupid, what the hell Blizzard?

6 Likes

I think the writers bit off way more than they could chew with the lore here.

9 Likes

the entire shadowlands has civil wars except ardenweald which is attacked by the drust and the draught and you’re asking why they don’t do anything about that? :roll_eyes:

how do you ignore important lines?

All they have to do is nothing.

3 Likes

And then we get those souls the kyrians theoretically threw in the maw out. :blush:
5 at a time per week. :laughing:

Meanwhile. Those souls must be like. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy…

2 Likes

Yeah, if this text is live, it’s beyond Idiot Ball. Absolutely beyond. We see even high-ranking Kyrians reacting and improvising to new situations prior to this, if not one has stopped delivering souls to the Maw this is pants-on-head-on-fire-in-a-blizzard stupid. I’ve dealt with real cult behavior IRL, not only do the Kyrians generally not act stupid enough to qualify, this is actually dumber than general cult behavior.

The previous quest in the series has you rescuing souls from the Maw! What the hell?

9 Likes

no blue post?
sad.

1 Like

The kyrians duty is to collect souls, currently all souls are going straight to the maw becase the arbiter is borked, the kyrian know the arbiter is borked, the kyrian continue to collect souls.

I think it’s literally the dumbest thing they’ve ever written. Ever.
Worse than “Draenor is free”. The expansion’s very existence is a plot hole.

10 Likes

Do they ever explain specifically how Bastion gets anima? I assumed it’s through the path. I think having a lot of uncooperative souls who shouldn’t be in Bastion would create a lot of issues with the path. Worse even if there are evil or deceptive souls in Bastion, since there’s nobody really vetting them.

Also I think the idea is the Jailer wants the Forsworn to take up the work in Bastion, who would be loyal to him once he takes over the Shadowlands.