Is this the expansion

…we finally get rid of Rune of Power?

4 Likes

I think they will double down on it. Ion will probably say,I want to make RoP smaller and the mage can’t move while standing in it.

1 Like

I’d love to see RoP be given the boot, but I doubt they’d do so. Dreamweaver granting a stationary effect, and I think Mistweaver’s receiving a RoP-like effect from their tier armor, make me think they really like RoP.

I cannot count out the possibility of their using the other two mention effects to serve as inspiration to turn RoP into something other than a glorified on-use trinket.

Affliction with the decaying soul satchel legendary plus Dreamweaver field of blossoms feels good. It actually changes the feel via granting haste rather than a damage modifier that offers no change in feel. It feels more like a nuker burn phase ability than RoP. I find this funny given they made 9.0 affliction a nuke spec with an awkward DoT conditional attached to the nuke.

I hope all three options on that talent row don’t make it into DF. If RoP does transfer over, then I hope they change it to grant something other than what it currently does.

I also hate it bro

I really hope so. While I’ll admit it’s less terrible to use than previously, it leads to extrememly flawed playstyle design where you need to stack everything into those little windows and then do nothing outside of it. Thematically it fits Arcane, but not the other two specs.

I’m still not convinced that anyone actually enjoys using it. They might like the numbers (because big number give dopamine) but I’m yet to hear any sort of argument as to why it’s fun or exciting to use compared to just having no talent in that row.

Hopefully with the new talent trees they’ll reconsider just how terrible a flat % damage increase is and essentially just delete 90% of the existing talents. More likely though, it will become baseline regardless of spec because clearly someone at Blizzard has a rager for it. That makes me sad, because this would be the perfect opportunity to actually fix gameplay aspects.

FF14 refuses to get rid of their version of it, but at least they made it HUGE and you can teleport directly to it if you have to move.

What is Rune of Power? Oh, that talent I never use…

After they finally made it less awful? I highly doubt it.

They won’t get rid of it bc it forces mages to decide whether to move or to do more dmg. Essentially, it’s their way of punishing us for having more dmg.
Honestly, any static ground spell is completely obsolete and needs changed. The game has progressed into this nearly full mobile high movement playstyle. Anything that is a static ground spell is just a hindrance. ROP, blizzard, flame patch, even frozen orb is just a headache to use. This is especially accurate during necrotic weeks when tanks are consistently kiting mobs.

Blizz needs to move towards target oriented spells, not ground oriented ones.

4 Likes

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I thin the current [Rune of Power] is fine as it is, as long as it justifies the drawbacks. It is in a version that doesn’t make me want to gouge me eyes out whenever I have to use it and it’s enough of a DPS gain that picking it is justifiable and its radius is big enough so it’s actually desirable, so the only problem is it has no real competition.

1 Like

Tend to agree, with the possible exception of RoP, where staying in the area is generally much more in the control of the player using it, instead of depending on a tank to hold the mobs in place.

Yea, but nothing feels worse then using rop and having to move after it.

1 Like

Which is fine but outside of Fire, Mages are already having to choose between moving and doing damage. It’s also worth noting that despite being movement restricted Mages are still below-par damage.

Honestly, in that day and age with the potential options I think there’s real opportunity for them to give us something that is a little more that “increase damage by % for Y seconds”

You would think that they would have enough imagination to come up with something better then “stand here for number buff.” However, they really haven’t proven they can, so idk if the actually can or not.

1 Like

I think that possibility to off-GCD move the Rune 1-2 times to selected location with mechanic similar to Vesper Totem could make it much better - you could move it out of dangerous mechanic / AoE and still utilize at least a part of remaining duration. So, if they want to keep it in 10.0, they could make an optional talent in Mage tree that allows doing that.

100% agree, which is sad. Part of me wants to think that their design team would be able to think up something more interesting than a % buff because they have done it for other classes, but at the same time with RoP existing for a decade I just don’t feel they’re ever going to remove it.

Personally I’d prefer to see some of the other active talents get tweeks to make them not only more viable but more fun than see RoP for another expansion. At this point it feels like a glorifed trinket, and it being tied into our major CD doesn’t make it feel any better to use. Maybe keep it for Arcane because of the RP factor, but for Frost at least I’d much rather send off an Ebonbolt or GS or IN or anything really that even remotely changes the rotation. If the end result (more damage) is the same, I’d be fine with not having IF, ROP or FM in the game at all.

I hate it and I refuse to use it. The minor DPS gain of using it perfectly and getting the most out of it is not enough to justify the irritation of doing so in my opinion. I’ve been told I should use it but my choice seems to have no effect on gameplay and I have no regrets. Rune of Power can go kick rocks for all I care.

1 Like

Dragonflight? Yes! NO MORE RUNE OF POWER!!!

But that’s only because we’re all throwing away our mages and rerolling Evokers … who don’t have Rune of Power.

1 Like

That or make Rune of Power the size of what us balance druid’s star fall is a huge circle.