Is this the end of Mac support?

Since the last patch, the game has been plagued by problems. First, it was the constant freezing which lasted for more than a month. Now I am getting random drops in FPS to the point where the game is unplayable. It starts out fine for about 20 minutes, but then things begin to deteriorate to the point where I’m looking at a slide show.

Is Blizzard no longer going to support a Mac client? I don’t want to mess with Boot Camp or buy a new PC. It’s unfortunate, because prior to the last patch things were working quite well.

2 Likes

I think the writing has been on the wall for awhile now. The Mac client has had very little attention with some bugs ongoing for months. The new Diablo isn’t even being released for Mac. I think it’s safe to say that our platform of choice will continue to receive the very minimum of attention from Blizzard at best and it wouldn’t be surprising to see support dropped altogether. It sucks. This company used to be a lone beacon of light for Mac gaming but now it seems that beacon is flickering out.

1 Like

8.3 didn’t cause such major problems on my Mac. I certainly experienced no freezes, let alone constantly.
I did hear about some sort of instance-based issue at one point when I hadn’t been doing instances for while (i.e. some sort of issue that only happened in dungeons or raids, maybe BGs too idk). Is this what you are referring to?

Regardless, what version of Mac OS are you running?
I don’t know whether the major problem interactions between WoW and Mojave have been fixed, but I certainly heard about them when Mojave was new.
And given how new Catalina is, I would definitely reccomend not using that yet.

Catalina is approaching 8 months old. Is that really new?

The developers are working on shadowlands. It’s as simple as that.

But I can say that 8.3 is running beautifully for me on Catalina on my 16 inch MacBook Pro. So the problems some people are having are not universal.

1 Like

I have been thinking the same, but with Shadowland still having Mac support it is save to assume that they will not drop it until the expansions after. But, the performance has been terrible for me, with freezes and disconnects on a daily basis. Once Diablo 4 has a release date I will make concrete plans to switch, although I am not looking forward to it. Windows machines are pretty awful in their own way.

It’s also been mostly trouble free on my hackintosh w/catalina.

What I’m seeing is more Blizz dropping the ball on support for old/low spec machines more than on Mac support.

A lot of that ties with apple doing literally same thing.

I promise you, a lot of problems people have are problems in the OS that blizz can only do so much about when apple is really getting to point of treating macs like iphones “Oh it’s 2 years old? you better get our latest one if you still want good software support and no throttling/bugs”

Also, hackintosh really is best way to get best of both worlds. Generally speaking they run mac games the best. In worst case though a game lacks mac support, instantly reboot into windows and have a state of art gaming PC too.

This is what apple has pushed us too. I still do miss the days of the great mac pro towers, but they are long gone and what we have now are throw away low to mid end laptops and imacs with crappy mobile AMD hardware and thermal issues because they’re still stuck in jony ives land with crap designs that are completely impractical for COOLING a machine. Or a ridiculously overpriced mac pro that is tailored to the wealthy that would still fall behind a custom built PC for less than half the cost, made hackintosh.

Only down side is lack of access to nVidia cards :frowning:

Yeah that’s a real downer. I’m HOPING big navi can make some difference but honestly i expect that as usual it’s too little too late. it’ll match 20x0 cards but get blown away by 30x0 cards.

AMD has typically been in a situation where they can’t keep up with nvidia. What’s going good for them is they are having an easy time with intel on processor sde, since intel has been in a slump for years now.

I still think this is restricted mostly to entry/low-end machines. My 2015 15" MBP is still a killer machine even running Catalina, but maybe Mac minis, MacBook Airs, etc aren’t faring so well (but then again, the 2012 Mac mini hooked up to my TV is humming along just fine as an emu box).

Have to take it with a grain of salt, but the rumors are saying that the mid-to-high-end big navi cards won’t just match the 2080Ti but exceed it by a good margin. What’s more is that there are already model numbers that represent Apple-specific variants of these cards (presumably for Mac Pro, but potentially for 27" iMac/iMac Pro too), so macOS should support them pretty much right away.

Even if Nvidia 30x0 are significantly more powerful than big navi, “better than a 2080Ti” (if true) is a great deal more than enough for me and it would still represent a turning point for GPU power in Macs.

same here, my 2019 MPB 15" with vega 20 or the 5700XT egpu don’t seem to give me any issues for the moment on Catalina

I wish Apple would release a Mac tower (non pro). Last year my old 2010 iMac was on its last legs, so when replacing it I had to compromise with what I want in a computer, and purchased a 27” i9 9900k model. I upgraded the cpu for the purposes of longevity, but with 512GB ssd the system was $3000 and I kept the stock 580x gpu.

I don’t really want an all in one system. I want to be able to game on a Mac by connecting a 144hz monitor and buying a new off the shelf gpu when they become available. I want to add a second m.2 ssd, and not have to plug in an external one.

I don’t want Blizzard and others to drop support for MacOS, but if they did I couldn’t really blame them, since people like me end up buying a second computer (PC) to game on.

I guess joke is on me for spending $3000 on an iMac. I’m stuck with this system for years now.

If AMD can get their act together with GPU’s, apple will for sure put them in their systems. That is a major step towards people actually playing games on their Macs.

Though it might be YEARS until someone like me gets around to buying one.

1 Like

Brand new 16" MacBook Pro with all the upgrades on Catalina, and I am getting less than 10 fps consistently, while my wife’s older I Mac is still running beautifully.

Have you played with the settings? E.g. render scale, turning off “extras” like ambient occlusion, etc? I don’t own a 16" MBP, but the 2015 15" MBP I used to own and the 2017 15" MBP I currently own did not fare well beyond low settings at 100% render scale and medium settings at 50% render scale.

New Mac OS upgrade versions often seem to have problems running WoW at first. I know Mojave sure did from reports on this forum.

THe ironic part of this thread is that the main reason I ever played Blizzard games was BECAUSE of their Apple support.

Mac gaming in the 90s sucked but when you went to the Mac gaming section of a store, you could find something like Warcraft. I never thought it was a great game, but it was a game to pass the time. Same with WC2. I fell in love with the original Diablo though.

If it wasn’t for the Mac, I most likely would not have played WoW for the last 15 1/2 years

5 Likes

So it sounds like Apple doesn’t want us and Blizzard doesn’t want us.

Oh well, I just bought a bunch of games for the Switch.

1 Like