Is this really how to fix professions?

both which save you or some1 who buys item with it procced money. (repairing gear can be expensive over an xpacs duration)

be happy your not eng and get the royal FU.

until blizzard devs realize that professions need to be mroe than just “entry lvl gear” …like it was back in early xpacs …they are never goign to be useful long term (unless ur alch/jc/chanting)

2 Likes

You said:

We CAN craft BIS pieces. For very little work honestly. Gear from professions really should not be any better than that, otherwise they become requirements for every toon. Seriously did you see what Method did for their world first? EVERYONE maxed out engineering, made their helm, then dropped engineering just so they could trade gear as needed. Some of their primary swappers, “guys who use multiple toons,” did this on MULTIPLE characters. And that’s with professions as “weak,” as they are now.

The way to improve professions is with profession specific upgrades. For example blacksmiths used to be able to add a socket to an item. Engineers had special gears( more powerful gems) that only they could use. But even things like this have to be limited or the other professions fall behind to the point where everyone has to be X profession and one of 3 Y’s depending on their armor type.

As for getting rid of the RNG factors, as nice as that would be you should realize by now it will never, ever happen.

1 Like

I agree - this was my feedback on the PTR regarding some of those things they are putting in.

1 Like

So … ummmmm … are you respinding to me or the person you quoted?

Assuming you’re responding to me, I’m not sure using Method as an example in any situation is realistic. While I don’t dislike you’re idea, it’s still only addressing the hobby-esq aspect of professions, not what would actually make them feel like an impactful part of my gameplay. And I didn’t say get rid of the RNG altogether. My point is that there should be avenues for dedicated crafters to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

I would also add that it would be more accurate to say that we can craft something resembling BiS, assuming you’re playing the right spec/proffesion combination. And honestly we’ve pretty much moved away from BiS since WF/TF can easily upgrade beyond anything we can craft. Even class discords and guides have started to move away gtom BiS lists got thsi very reason.

1 Like

Yeah sorry. The guy i was replying to in my first post said that, so i replied to it.

And of course Method isn’t a good example, they’re crazy. But it’s a sign of what professions could become. I played back in BC, and all casters had to have tailoring because the set bonus you got from the epic crafted set back then was stupid good. We don’t want that.

This would matter, but again it’s an engineering HELM. Azerite pieces cannot titanforge so it is impossible to have a better helm than they have. Until the mini raid comes out anyways.

True, but that’s one piece for one profession. I’m speaking of professions as a whole. I’m fine with mythic, and even heroic quality items only being obtainable for that specific character, but given the abundance of lfr and normal quality loot that can be obtain from mundane activities, i see no reason crafters can’t make BoE versions themselves.

1 Like

JC will still be the worst. Prospect and lose money. Craft gems and lose money.

2 Likes

You forgot the “some” at the start of your sentence and therefore answered your own question.

1 Like

I’d like to see this, too.

They did something like this in Mists by bringing back the old weaponsmithing specialization weapon models with the Isle of Thunder. Gave non-raiding crafters like me plenty to do and it didn’t break the game.

3 Likes

To be clear, this is not a “fix,” this is a doubling down on “fail,” now becoming SOP for Blizzard and the clueless devs.

5 Likes

Changes can go either way, not too excited to resub.
In my opinion Professions were dead out of the gate, they’d need to revisit it with an overhaul 'cause these changes won’t really inject any life into them.

4 Likes

all talking about WoD but I sold a lot of gear in the ah that xpac.

they put a long grind and rng with the patch 8.1.5 and only 2 have a real reason to do them.

1 Like

I’m level 150 engineering, it took me lots of skinning/leather working/marks of honor, but I got there. As for 415 helmet, I’ll make that eventually…but thanks to the whole breath of Bwonsamdi thing, it’s gonna take me long time since I don’t want to join a guild and do mythic. Every road I take always comes back to join a guild and do mythic. No thanks.

Best way to fix professions is to require everyone attend Trump University then get their profession.

1 Like

Crafting is literally a mess now. As horrible as WoD was it was the best expansion for Crafting except for Jewel Crafting. Why did Blizz nerf Jewel Crafting when they could have thought of a way to make it fun and exciting like in Cata and MoP?

1 Like

Not sure what you mean…that only some people can make 415 gear? That people can only make “some” 415 gear?

Who can’t? People that didn’t pick gear making professions?

Yeh pretty much its funny its one of those systems that are core to mmorpgs and blizz have devolved the system over 15 years.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say you have my new favorite character name. Yes, I’m a former dog’s boy of that particular breed. Miss 'em every day.

And to you and everyone else, thanks for the feedback. Regarding engineering, I guess I would like to see that same avenue replicated to tailoring, blacksmithing, etc., as much as possible. Or allow the return of spellthreads and sockets and whatnot to upgrade a different piece to BiS.

No, they really aren’t. BoP gear isn’t fun. Professions that have almost no use aren’t fun. Gems that aren’t used as often as they should be and won’t sell aren’t fun. Enchants that only work for a couple few slots when we’ve got so many others aren’t fun. Inscription is almost worthless nowadays compared to what it used to be so it’s not fun. Engineering isn’t much better which also means not fun.

I’d like better BoE gear to sell that has mats that can be gathered in a more normal fashion. I’d like to see enchants for more spots again. I’d like to see more glyphs and reasons to use inscription. I’d like to see gem slots be a part of gear again to make gems more worthwhile.

I’d also like to see some more profession perks return. Not like the old ones where raiders only took certain professions because of it, but other ones just to make the professions more interesting and fun.

4 Likes

they need to drop the stupid ranks too, as it is now, its basically there to let us craft the same 6 things and gain levels cuz its a higher rank… rng stats… rng to go up in quality… i miss when we had sets we could make for leveling or getting started into end game. people would actually buy them. and you could use other people mats to make their set of gear! players communicating and working together…

thats how i used to use my crafting professions, someone looking for a set, or gems or something, id say i can make it, they said they had the mats, ok then, lets meet up and ill craft it. and they would throw me some gold. My JC character became known, a guild didnt have one, and several of them used me for gems, so next thing i know i get a guild basically putting in a order, giving me gems to cut for them, and they all got to know me. was a fun time! even had someone years later remember me as i used to cut all their gems.

thats what we need to bring back, no more BoP mats to make anything worthwhile, let people craft stuff for other people. and give us more stuff to make, different sets, fun stuff, higher level sets.

3 Likes