Is this an attempt at exploiting AH?

~~https://i.imgur.com/bCitvtU.png

Now and then someone lists one item at very low price. I can’t tell who is the person selling one item at very cheap price. But this person relists a new one when the cheap item is sold so it is not a one-off deal to get rid of just one item quickly.

I am getting a strong impression , it’s to attempt to trick people who dumps stuff on AH and not paying attention would list them at cheap price.

If this is possible exploiting AH market, check my purchase history for cheap ores and track it to the seller and check seller’s history. If this is happening a lot, then you’d know the person is trying to scam the market by driving price artificially low to get cheap material, possibly to resell at higher price.

I would have tried in-game report but I can’t figure out the name of the seller, and the in-game reporting is somewhat convoluted to use without the name of the suspect.

As long as the items being sold were legitimately obtained, the seller can sell them for whatever price they choose to do so in the AH. If they wish to undercut by that much, then that is on them. Is it an exploit? NO.

8 Likes

That is entirely possible, but the Auction House is considered a free market, so players can list pretty much whatever price they wish.

Someone could equally purchase all of one item on the Auction House and relist them at a much higher price to drive the prices up. That is the nature of the market. There isn’t a set price for what anyone should be charging, it is entirely up to them and we don’t consider that an exploit.

10 Likes

Yes and teach them to read first.
it is not an exploit, it is not against any rules, anyone can sell for any price on the AH.

5 Likes

Actually if we all just paused a sec before posting, these “super undercuts are they really trying to trick people” listings would be a thing of the past, because they’d always just get bought out.

I have all the “popular” crafting mats on my favorites. Best believe that every time I open the AH, if I see Lightless Silk or blue enchanting shards (name escapes me at the moment) or Elysian Thade for 1g76s, it’s all mine. All mine, all day.

I say keep the mats on a 99% discount coming.

I see the frustration it causes people who rush through their postings, and I am sorry for that. But you must see that my angle is as valid as any other. I personally quite like buying these silly 1g50 listings and just flipping them straight up for 10000% profit.

I’ll add that as far as I can tell, my way is the only way to stick it to these sellers, if you believe in your heart that their actions are nefarious and want to combat the “bait” auctions. Since what they do isn’t against any rules, the hardest hit they will take is losing the profit they could have made posting the items normally.

Win/win for me. They lose profit, I gain profit (I sound like Quark now) and I keep someone else from getting hit with the “bait.”

8 Likes

I always list my stuff lower than the lowest price. If it doesn’t sell then I vendor it. I am one of those players that don’t really need gold lol, but still play and still use the AH.

1 Like

I have a friend that made millions at start of BFA before AH rework just cornering ore and herbs at launch. Made another mil or so at SL launch doing same.

Had the gold to buy it alm up and realist at a higher price knowing the demand was there. Works from home so could constantly scan AH to make sure he was pretty much the only choice unless players listed higher than hin.

2 Likes

It is one of the suggested activities from the big gold-makers. List one at a low price and monitor it. If someone posts it at the low price, buy and relist high.

They could be working on lowering the default price used by AH addons. The same way that some players lists items for around 500,000 gold, like Synvir ore in your examples, to play with AH addons.

It’s annoying, but they are only listing one so if you keep your price on the next-lowest tier yours should sell as well.

2 Likes

We’ve been seeing posts about this a lot lately. Everyone has different concerns and annoyances about the process. There are addons that will set your default sell price to however you want to customize it, or how many items, or can help you find these low priced items and snag them for resale. It’s simply not up to the auction house/game mechanics to decide what I post something for. If I wanted a set price, I’d use a vendor.