Is there meaningful choice?

Nah I think most other games have far more meaningful choice.

Unfortunately everything is on the rails with wow now. Killing reforging guaranteed that.

In terms of your question: again nope.

They have made the system so hopelessly over-complicated yet so hopelessly imbalanced that the Metas are easy to work out.

And blizzard have just made themselves that much more work attempting to balance all this crap they are going to throw out after two years.

Its astounding when you think about it.

The covenant choices are less meaningful now after the heavy nerfs.

The only real ‘meaningful’ choice I think covenants add is…

“do I prefer aesthetics or gameplay”

People will either pick the one they like the themes/aesthetics of or they’ll pick the one that offer the best gameplay benefits.

Unless your one of the lucky ones in which both those option are the same covenant.

If the numbers are in a spot where its not as wide as it used to be, then people will pick and choose what covenant to go with.

Let the min-maxers, min max.

At the end of the day, I have more thought that people will still be restricted by their IO score and/or gear score than by what covenant they choose. Simply because min-maxing doesnt make you a better player.

If no class can say that covenant X is “BiS” for them in all content and under all circumstances then Blizzard has done their job.

We’ll see when we get into the expansion. I’m sure they’ll continue to iterate on the system early on but things look solid so far.

For rogue, no one covenant feels like it’s 100% the play. It’s actually a tough call and that’s a good thing.

It sounds like if one Covenant is outperforming the others, Blizzard will not nerf it so that it underperforms, since they don’t want to infuriate the players who made their choice based on the “best” numerically. Where they will step in is when it is egregiously out of line.

Rogues are one of the few classes where they all feel close enough to not matter…you are lucky!

There’s the meaningful choice of whether or not you want to be playing your class well. There are some covenant abilities that just straight up do not work with the synergy of some classes, and just add a button to your GCD.

1 Like

I’m gonna go with no

More like they started of as Pepsi and coke now you get the local grocery store and the walmart generic

Echoing Timbo, Blizzard have nerfed every Covenant into the ground because there’s only a 1% difference if they’re 1% of your output.

The very nature of power in an MMO, or really any halfway competitive multiplayer game dictates that balance is necessary, and instead of going the route of talent balance (or at least the well designed talents), where every row is strong, albeit in different situations and balancing it by allowing you to freely switch, Blizzard went the profession/racial bonus, where they’re hard to switch and the power impact as a result is essentially worthless.

1 Like

we don’t know yet

The players know the game better than its masters.

There is no choice. Only the meta.