Is there gonna be a shaman tank?

Right now theres no mail tanks, so do you think theres going to be a shaman tank that uses earth to protect themselves and stuff?

3 Likes

there never was a shaman tank.play a tank class if you want to play one prot pally is really fun.

2 Likes

Not true. Enhancement was originally meant to be able to tank back in vanilla. This can be seen in the shield and armour talents, and the increased threat on rockbiter weapon. But it was poorly implemented and didn’t work so Blizzard swept it under the rug.

2 Likes

I would never play said spec, but would welcome it as it would add another tank class to the tanking pool. Would also make sense since the other three elements are represented, wind for enhancement, water for restoration, and fire for elemental, earth could be the tank element.

6 Likes

I wish but unfortunately probably not :confused:

no he wasnt paladin tanks couldnt tank hardly and they were in plate they had no taunt mea while enhance shamans had a few taunts but couldnt take a hit.

fyi enhance couldnt tank past lvl 40.

Enhance can tank all dungeons and some raid enstance mechanics. I have seen it on many occasions.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible but very doubtful, if it were to come I think it would be as a 4th spec but so far I haven’t seen any indication that Blizzard could be considering it.

That is why I said it was poorly implemented. But the fact the talents and threat generators were there shows clear intent.

3 Likes

they should have gave paladins a taunt and not shamans in vanilla but it is what it is.

if people want a shaman tank tho why not a rogue that uses dodge or a priest that uses shields.

there are much better classes that could be tanks over shamans.

Hush your filthy mouth with that blasphemy!

5 Likes

There are currently 6 classes that can tank, and 3 of them wear leather. Why would we add yet another leather wearing tank?

None of those classes wear mail (or cloth). Mail is, in every way imaginable, better than leather for holding up to incoming damage, it would suit a tank much better than leather would, yet we have no mail tanking classes. Cloth’s lack of tanks is understandable, due to it offering practically no protection at all, but in some situations I could see magic making up for that (I’ve often suggested a mage tanking spec using kinetic shields).

Between the two mail classes we have, hunter and shaman, Shaman makes more sense as a tank - in vanilla, shamans were originally designed with tanking in mind, but that idea was scrapped partway through development and only some aspects of it remained (shield block/parry talents, for example).

Originally, blizzard had planned for shamans, paladins, and druids to all be capable of all 3 roles, though we all know how the hybrid tax worked out for them.

3 Likes

what about a melee hunter tank?

I don’t think that shamans should tank, but we should have some class-wide earth spells that function as defensive spells. It’s really sad that the earth element is only used in rockbiter, earth shock, and earth shield.

Shaman tanking will be the most difficult tank spec rotation that only the most skilled players will bother to master, with the highest dps and healing potential baked into their tanking mechanics, making them highly coveted jack of all trades tank/dps/healer all in one.

1 Like

I think shamans need some love from blizzard. And i also think we should have a 4th earth warden spec too

4 Likes

I would love one and it would be really easy to implement by just having some earth based abilities. But I don’t think it’ll ever happen as much as I would love it to.

1 Like

I don’t want to lose ele, enh, or resto.

So I sincerely hope there won’t be a new shaman tank spec.

That’s a good point, I do like our specs the way they are. Though it’d be cool if they could make it in a way that you could tank and dps in enhancement. Like how gladiator dps used to be a thing.

1 Like

That would be really hard to balance/design. Its why druids have 4 specs. To break away from 2 roles in the same spec. Its ultimately why (imo) gladiator never lasted.

Having 2 roles in the same spec will cause one spec to hurt. Either in ability (as in, being able to perform the role its there to do), or in gameplay. (having a dumbed down gameplay due to having 2 roles within the same spec).