Is there an Ankoan race megathread?

title. and I believe this race would compete with Zandalari as the most played allied race if made playable

just look at these bad boys

3 Likes

Not yet. Waiting to see the extent to which we interact with these guys on the PTR. Hard to make a megathread about a race that we barely know anything about.

Current lore is that they’re offshoots of the Jinyu that chose to hunt in deeper waters. But obviously that’s all subject to change until we get to live.

But yes, I desperately want these guys too. A mistweaver or shaman Ankoan?

Delicious.

3 Likes

What about them receiving a female model as well?

That would need to be something that happened, yes.

Allied race threads are basically just there to exhibit interests in concepts and inform future design decisions. It’s been confirmed that the devs actively read them, and depending on what happens with the Vulpera they may or may not turn out to be successful exercises.

But even if they don’t; hey, why not, right?

2 Likes

I’ve heard someone say that there are some female Ankoan voice lines in the datamined files, but only male models at this time. I haven’t confirmed this myself, but if this is true then it might turn out some of them may get a female model before Nazjatar is released.

Maybe you should consider creating one yourself. I would actually be surprised if one wasn’t created within the next month.

Just FYI (and I already mentioned this on the other thread you commented on) but Female voices were attached to Ethereals and Sethrak without alterations to their model. If a race is designed to be androgynous, gender is exclusively denoted by voice, not physicality.

Hopefully female models are in development, but it doesn’t mean that, if they aren’t, they’ll have nothing to do with those voice files. They’ll just be attached to NPCs that look exactly like males.

EDIT: Let me also just say to OP that if no-one else is interested I would be happy to lend my services to the thread’s creation. I have Trust Level 3 which allows me to link images and whatnot, so I could compile everything we know (which isn’t much at the moment, but hopefully that will change) about the subject.

4 Likes

This is a very very good point. They could be androgynous which would be an interesting twist and could work. I can easily see it working with Ankoan. I think it would be a good idea to keep a close eye on this especially leading up to when ptr goes into alpha stage.

1 Like

Please create one, I’m drooling over the idea of playing them.

1 Like

Yeah, someone else already made a thread. Possibly several someones did.

• Up to the top right, there is a thing that looks like a magnifying glass; It ISN’T ONE! It lets you 'search"!

• Ankoan (hit return.)

We can all post in the same thread, without it having to be called “megathread”?

1 Like

Okie dok. As soon as I’m able (and presuming I don’t see a well-developed one put out before I get to it) I’ll see about making a Jinyu/Ankoa thread complete with backstory, developing information, and images to condense all future discussion about this race’s potential.

And yeah, I’m drooling over it as well. But a bit moreso because I’m a worgen :smirk:

3 Likes

We need one that’s updated often with more links and info like Rorrand is suggesting he could do. Sure, I guess it wouldn’t have to be called megathread but the title grabs attention.

For what it’s worth, I think it’d be preferable if it was kept to ankoan rather than splitting the focus between jinyu and ankoan.

The lack of a distinct female model makes this about as likely as playable sethrak. While possible, a playable race expressing such limited sexual dimorphism would be unprecedented in WoW.

A fair point. My impression was that lore for each race is relatively sparse enough that they could fit in a single thread. Lorewise, they’re also the same race, just with slightly different customization features, so a playable Ankoa is a playable Jinyu, and depending on what features are made available at launch a player could make a character that leans more towards one way or the other. Given that Jinyu/Ankoa don’t really have anything like hair to customize they need as many potential customization options as possible.

But for the purpose of a concise purpose I’d probably structure the thread’s lore and speculation specifically around the Ankoan culture. The fact that Jinyu fought alongside the Alliance in MoP and the idea that you could make an Ankoan that is effectively a jinyu based on your customization options will be sidenotes, if anything. The Jinyu’s history with the Alliance doesn’t necessarily mean we have to call the Ankoan race “Jinyu,” but it does speak to a history of cooperation between the Ankoa’s cousins and the Alliance as a faction, which only strengthens a potential bond.

1 Like

Pretty sure Sethrak would be the most played allied race if they were made into one

2 Likes

I would make one about Jinyu (Pearlfin, and Ankoan) though I can’t link pictures though sadly :stuck_out_tongue:

I really love fish and bug races. So these are definitely on my wish list once the BFA ARs are done.

Gimme new races.

1 Like

Somebody should. There’s already Vulpera and Sethrak Megathreads.

Well, it’s crappy, but here it is. I’ll update stuff here as many times as needed.

3 Likes