Is there a guarantee that 100% of the Dottie pet will be given to charity?

You are right op, Make a wish doesnt need Blizzards measley three million. Blizzard should just keep all the money from the sales of their product.

2 Likes

You can find it yourself if you try:) I’m playing halo reach atm and I don’t really feel like finding it for you. If you really wanted to know the truth you would’ve done your own research.

3M is an excessive number, which is highly unlikely to be reached, based on the past sales history of these items… but of course, you researched that prior to your little rant… right?

10 Likes

Yes, all complaints are thoroughly researched and investigated before outrage ensues on the forum.

2 Likes

If Mischief and Cinder didn’t top $3 million, I doubt Dotty will. Y’all will worry about anything.

3 Likes

Lol! Of course it would not be problem to just sell another pet on the pet store. That’s not comparable at all. This pet is advertised as a charity based item and that’s why people tend to get irritable about the fine print.

If that $3 million is “highly unlikely to be reached,” then why would they bother to even have that sort of cap, particularly given that they would/should expect this sort of controversy arising from it?

Maybe I’m just being an overly cynical bovine, but I’m sure they have a really good idea how much this pet will raise based on past charity pets and the current state of the player community, so they picked that $3 million figure for a very good reason: the extra profit to be gained by Blizzard when the cap is reached.

They had some news a while back about financial people getting more involved in development meetings, and I’d guess that this is one of those things that comes from that sort of increased financial/bean counter involvement in their normal operations and decision making.

/moo :cow:

2 Likes

They weren’t clear on the date it was going to be released either. Not all the Info was available. He was introducing the pet and the organizations the proceeds were going to. Nothing was actually for sale yet. It’s for sale now and there it is in writing. You’d have a valid complaint if they were taking orders at Blizzcon.

Don’t worry,they have never made more than 3 million off of any pet for charity, you are worrying over a non issue.

1 Like

indeed, you are being overly cynical.

3M won’t be reached… so i’m not sure where you think the “profit” comes from.
standard disclaimer is standard.

1 Like

If you want 100 percent of your donation to go to charity then you should probably just donate to a charity. Buying a product from a third party to contribute to a charity will always have capitalist shenanigans involved.

4 Likes

They’re not as bad as that one lady who sold her clothes for charity, but didn’t disclose that she was keeping 90% of the money for herself.

^this.

if you’re concerned about the charity and doing it from the bottom of your heart then you shouldn’t need a digital pet in a video game to seal the deal.

1 Like

A completely reasonable request. If I was to buy this battle pet under the premise that I was donating to charity and my purchase wound up being profit, I would feel misled and lied to. A running “goal progress” total is a totally appropriate thing to ask for.

4 Likes

You are taking what the OP is saying out of context. They only want to make sure their purchase is going to charity. That’s not unreasonable, nor should it be frowned upon.

5 Likes

It’s a hypocrisy thing. When a company advertises that all proceeds are going towards something, and you donate or make a purchase in good faith based off that, then they reveal fine print or make changes afterward, it rankles people wrong. I would be totally ok with Blizzard selling something and keeping all the profits, or only donating a portion of the sales as long as they outright stated that in clear language upfront. It’s when people try to get the virtue or goodwill or whatever you want to call it of a full charity, but only want to do part of the sacrifice, that it stokes some pretty visceral reactions in people.

I guess that means that Blizzard decided to do this $3 million cap, not because they thought it would be reached, but because they knew it wouldn’t be reached and instead they just wanted to spin up community outrage on the forums. Classic troll on Blizzard’s part, GG, well done.

I suppose that $3 million value was chosen, instead of say $2 million or $4 million or something else because they decided to appease the RNG gods and set the value using a 1d6 roll. Again, GG Blizzard, well done.

/moo :cow:

1 Like

No way. They already have a double “*” stating that there’s a maximum amount they’ll be putting towards the charity.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they figure out another way to make more money off of the event.

Its a matter of ethics. Its a charity pet and after it sells for 3 mill Blizzard takes in all the profits from it.

What would be better and far more ethical is a 3 Million Cap then after that 50% of further sales go to the charities.

1 Like

Well, previous times they said how much they raised for charities (all of which were limited times, ending at December 31st) between $800k to $2.5M with each pet, most of them being in the $1M ranges. So aiming for $3M is a pretty good goal.

People who say, “How dare they!” are… Kind of dumb. Unless the new pet out-sells every shop pet in WoW history in one month, Blizzard won’t be pocketing any money out of it. (That is, until 2020 when the charity window on pets ends, as it always has in the past)

1 Like

How is it unethical to donate 3 million dollars? Its clearly advertised that donations stop at 3 million, its not like they are claiming otherwise.

Its disgusting that the community would rather tear down and scrutinize blizzard for donating to charity because they aren’t giving 100% of their profits from a videogame item to the charity.

I am glad blizzard is donating to this charity and hope to see more of it.

3 Likes