Is there a future for Human nations?

Life has been tough for Human kingdoms (other than Stormwind) for the last few decades. Alterac was left in ruins following the retaliation from the Alliance and ceased to exist as a state after the end of the Second War. By the end of the Third War, Lordaeron had been wiped out by the Scourge and Stromgarde had lost its capital city and most of its territory. During the Cataclysm era, Gilneas City fell, making Gilneas an exiled nation, and then Theramore was nuked. Also, upon reconnecting with Kul Tiras, we realized that it had been falling prey to several types of corruption in recent years and that it was on the verge of collapse.

However, it seems the trend has reversed a bit recently. Stromgarde has been fully restored as a nation in its own right in BFA. Gilneas was shown to retain its autonomy from Stormwind when it decided to send troops in Darkshore to help the Kaldorei, and it seems to be at the center of events in 9.2.5 (see the quest Eyes of the Wolf). Kul Tiras has been cleansed & reunited and it rejoined the Alliance. Lordaeron is gone for good but the Calia narrative demonstrated that the question of the Menethil royal legacy is still somehow relevant. Finally, as a consequence of the Fourth War, the Horde now controls the Ruins of Alterac (they’re also rebuilding the city) and Strahnbrad ; this might lead to further interactions with the Syndicate. I for one think that this could actually end up with the former citizens of Alterac (a portion of them at least) and the Horde attempting to establish diplomatic relations.

What do you think ? Could we be experiencing a revival of Human nations ? If that is the direction writers want to go in, I think that’s pretty exciting.

9 Likes

I’m hoping they make another “race” of humans for Lordaeron.

Say… very tall/thin haughty-like sneers and “angry-face” or “determined-face”, as they would be made up by those bloodlines that never retreated from Lordaeron.

Hillsbrad. Alterac. Scarlet Monastery, (I like the new title: “Bastion of Justice/Lightsworn Garrison,” Shadowfang Keep, the Kirin Tor of Dalaran, Scholomance island, Andorhal, Stratholme, Scarlet Coast. E t c.

1 Like

We could be experiencing a revival of human nations. I have my concerns about the story, it could be an exciting new direction with rediscovery and a more grounded story. What would like to see them do with new human nations?

1 Like

I don’t see that it really can without walking through the minefield of Forsaken vs Humans and zone parity for the sake of faction equivalence. Arathi is pretty much a done deal, but I don’t think you’re going to see much beyond that.

8 Likes

Part of me would like to see a new Arathorian Empire. I sort of feel like we’re leaning in that direction already with how they’re setting up Turalyon as the new leader of Stormwind. As far as we know, Danath doesn’t have an heir. I don’t really want him to be killed off but if they were to do so, i could see something with him naming Turalyon as his heir. The same Turalyon who is the most notable of Lordaeron’s nobility as well as the new leader of Stormwind.

2 Likes

Let’s think about the state of the kingdoms:

Lordaeron: Currently blighted BUT EA notes that the blight is slowly receding, so (apparently) the RUINS could eventually become habitable again. I highly doubt Undercity can be free of the blight. It was datamined that in 9.2.5 there would be an event with Calia and the Forsaken.

Alterac: It is known that it was destroyed, although it does not have an exact date. We know that its former inhabitants formed the Syndicate, but could some of them have fled and become current citizens of the Alliance? This kingdom still has mysteries in the script to solve.

Gilneas: In BfA follower quests and EA show that Gilenas is in the possession of its inhabitants. It is time that they give us some chain of missions that takes us to the kingdom now retaken and rebuilt. Also, it would be interesting to see if the Gilneans choose Darius, who was in the fight with the people, or Genn, an absent king whose support went more toward the Alliance.

Stromgarde: Thanks to BfA we know that the Arathi Highlands territory was retaken by the Alliance. The logical thing to think is that Danath is the current sovereign of said kingdom. Personally, I would very much like to have an event within the game that is the coronation of Danath, where the Lord Regent and the other leaders participate. I think it is an emerging kingdom that has potential for the future.

Kul’tiras: I think we’ve had enough of this island, though it would be interesting to see what the dynamic between the Noble Houses is like now that they have new leaders.

Stormwind: The current Lord Regent has much work to do in times of peace. I would personally be interested to know what the citizens think about Turalyon on the throne and Anduin’s absence.

2 Likes

I do not think it is far fetched for Blizzard to make a new subset of Humans in a new zone one day.

They could be super primitive and barbaric types. Depending on the theme, they could be sort of ancient Celtic or Pacific Islanders or something that harkens back to a primitive aesthetic.

Or they could go the other way, and be the remnants of a long lost civilization, sort of like Numenor or Atlantis. With ancient magic and tech that rivals our own.

It is as easy as saying that instead of going to the Eastern Kingdoms, some of the exiled / refugee Vrykul went a different direction - either through accident or by some sort of inspiration.

2 Likes

I mean, yes? Of the Seven Kingdoms, only one is still destroyed, and 4 of them are PCs.

Keep it going, I say! Give me a Worgen AR. Give me Werebears of Stromgarde or Wererats of Alterac!

2 Likes

Afaik this has never been addressed but surely something like that happened. I mean, the Syndicate is but a portion of the former Alteraci nobility – the civilians, the military and the rest of the nobles must be somewhere. My guess is they either assimilated into another Human society, or they’re hiding/they’ve rebuilt a kingdom in some remote place. The former is quite likely, but we must keep in mind that ever since their betrayal, Alteraci have been seen as outcasts and the black sheep of Humanity. That’s why I can see them having fled and relocated to some very isolated place

I’m not too worried about Danath not having any known heir. Writers could just introduce some relative (a cousin, a nephew, anything really) without having to do any retcon

Also, I was wondering about Theramore ; it’s obviously not coming back as a kingdom, especially now that Jaina is the Lord Admiral of Kul Tiras, but isn’t Northwatch Hold still sort of affiliated to Theramore ?

By the way, does anyone remember this :

(https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Morgan%27s_Militia)

I want Morgan to build a brand-new Human kingdom in the very middle of the Burning Steppes!!!

One thing that may be kinda cool especially if they ever do something cool with housing. Is a totally brand new empty continent that hasn’t been inhabited or a new world that hasn’t been inhabited by mortals and people. Just animals and elementals and stuff.

Lets say that one of those crazy Titan facilities wiped out all life on a new continent or planet and only animals remained or slowly came back or evolved again by crawling back out of the ocean. And so you could have players build cities and factions and build things in the world like sorta like people can build things in other games using pre-made structures and stuff. Probably a bit too crazy. There’d be a story in these new lands, you would unlock the story by building places for NPCs to come move in and set up and it would be about the elementals or the Titans or the previous civilization that wiped everything out on the new continent or world. There’d be plenty discoveries to be made. Plenty quests to have helping NPCs set up. There could even be and RTS element or 4X element. Players would vote on who ran the kingdom, and they would decide where to place buildings and produce units and stuff and than players would contract out to go collect and gather items and place the buildings down and each player could have a small nobles manner with some npcs that they could manage themselves. And a big player monarch could delegate. And the factions could even go to war over a particularly interesting or lucrative mine or quest spot.

Probably crazy. I wouldn’t mind if it took ten years to develop it would be amazing though. And it would be like WARCRAFT I and 2 with players instead of units or a combination of them.

Pretty far out. Seems like it would be fun though! Probably way off topic for this.

Blizz could also just set up a new human and new orc kingdom and have a scripted way of those things happening, it would be sad tho to lose agency and not have a winning side probably then.

I feel like the current narrative and horde protection will keep the humans nations forever in a state of nothingness. Combined with the glacial pace of story updates we may truly never know.

The current world map is just too comically small to account for everything that would have to take place.
Lorderon never went anywhere, their citizens are holed up in Hearthglen, Scarlet Monastery, Light’s hope, and Tyrs Hand. Though many of these places are in a state if limbo since they’re stuck in time bubbles since cata.
Lorderon still lives on in Northrend among the scarlet crusade and argent dawn.
Gilneas could be retaken, but that would be one solitary city state of the entire nation.
Stromgard took how many years to finally see a continuation of their story? Maybe they’ll be a thing in wow2 or warcraft 4.
Alterac is in the same boat. Somehow this entire expansive nation is reduced to one tiny zone, nothing more than a city state.
Can they bring them back to Lorderon? No, they have forsaken to deal with, so this story will never have a satisfying ending.

2 Likes

I think making new races to implement what should be customization option (tall, thin, short, and, yes, fat) is a dumb idea.

Also, the human race now isn’t identified as being any one political group. I think making new races for what is already covered by the original is pointless.

There are so many better choices (Sethrak would be cool) that having more and more races that are all human is a waste.

1 Like

Maybe under Calia the Worgen and Forsaken could form some tentative peace, with the latter resettling in Gilneas.

Why though? Why do the worgen need to make peace with the very people who tried to wipe them out? Twice now mind you.

1 Like

It was just a thought. The primary leaders who were responsible for the invasion of Gilneas — Sylvanas and Garrosh — are dead or shelved from the narrative. People and factions can change, hell Genn’s story from WC2/WC3 till now is proof of that. That and Gilneas as a region is beautiful, it seems wasteful to not use that as a capital city/region of some kind. The worgen deserve more than being some government-in-exile in Stormwind.

Why is

dependent on

And we have several threads of players not wanting the forsaken to change.

I know, I’m just saying that the worgen can retake gilneas without forgiving the forsaken. :wolf:

1 Like

After World War 1 the French has the same attitude toward Germany and imposed a punitive treaty on them. We know how that turned out.

1 Like

Good thing this isn’t real life than and no one mentioned punitive treaties.

Yeah, just continued war with your neighbors over things that happened in the past. That hasn’t worked well either.

It isn’t real life, but refusing to see the evils of real history in fiction doesn’t help us.

1 Like