Is the WOW team getting more developers?

For years now it feels like the dev team is just barely hanging on, especially with regards to the depth and quality of class specific stuff, hell, they’ve gone in reverse in that regard. Feels like WOW launched strong out the gate with a brilliant variety of spells and stuff but just petered out over the years because less people / tighter resources got in the way of progressing that cool factor the game had.

Also noticed tiny things, like tiny details getting omitted, is there even stuff like dynamic weather in the later expansions?

I remember hearing something of AVB onboarding a load of developers, was that for WOW as well? The game (Retail) isn’t nearly as cool and crazy with RPG stuff as it could and should be.

3 Likes

You really think ppl want to work with Blizzard with its current workspace reputation ? :rofl: :rofl:

The devs we have is all we got for the long run

4 Likes

They are hiring much more devs overall and especially for the wow team.
Doesn’t mean they’ll address the glaring issues.

3 Likes

Last month they put out an ad hiring a whole slew of devs across the board of positions. Not because anyone quit, but to add in addition to their current roster. So yes they’re looking to expand. :slight_smile:

Although more people doesn’t necessarily fix a problem. It’s all about what they choose to actually do or not do.

1 Like

I hope the added resources gives them space to make some cool and unique things again. If I had my way and unlimited people, every class would have had 50 unique and crazy abilities by now!

And you’d see more birds and animals etc out in the wild!

And rotational real-time seasons!

1 Like

Narrator Voice: They did not make cool and unique things again.

5 Likes

Doesn’t matter how many cooks you have in the kitchen when the head chef doesn’t have taste buds.

9 Likes

Imagine Hearthstone playable in Inn tables, that would be insane.

2 Likes

The main issue with WoW is they don’t use their resources correctly. In BFA they wasted resources on Azerite gear, Essences, and that dang cloak.

WoW needs a long-term plan and not these throwaway patch features.

8 Likes

I just want to see the game blow you away with choice and incredible unnecessarily insane detail.

1 Like

This is how I see it…
Top honcho is still the same, who calls the shots, who chooses the direction.

Throwing more bodies to the project doesn’t change the fact that the top honcho is still there so you’ll more likely than not actually just still have the same product. The difference is, they’ll be able to take some work off someone to spread it around instead of having 1 person doing X amount.

I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Even if we put all the lawsuit aside, Blizzard didn’t had any major release since Overwatch. Comparing her with other game companies, it’s pretty bad.

1 Like

Who ever did SL should be fired

5 Likes

I think the business philosophy of drawing blood from stone using as little manpower as humanly possible to the point of absurdity has no place in growing World of Warcraft sustainably.

Like, I’m sure people want to see their money goes back into developing the product they enjoy, I wonder how much of the $15 per month actually went back into WOW? Think it would be frighteningly small, I mean, you can FEEL this game is just straight up running on human fumes, so hopefully they’re expanding resources.

1 Like

I think the actual question is:

Is the WoW team getting more QUALIFYIED developers.

1 Like

Many people dont care what the “entertainment media says”.

Many people dont mind working a lot and dont taking breaks.

Many people just want to work and not to make politics of their jobs for amusement of people who in most cases dont even know how to start what they do in a daily basis.

For a more in depth “look”, you might find postings for many positions in Blizzard and Activision valid until 24/10 (Oct 24th for the strange people). It hints in some kind of re-structure specially in the product management area.

For devs, it doesnt look like much, but there are some postings with jobs in testing and QoL things.

You can train a chef to cook but you can’t train a chef to have a palette.

The devs they get are “qualified” but they’re not the quality that we got years ago. I know it sounds condescending, but it’s true… when you hire budget employees from lesser colleges, you’re getting what you pay for. I know it’s anecdotal but my company hired a few engineers from Purdue and they were 100% thorough and got to root cause. We hired a few from a local community college and they just put out fires all day while incorrectly using the word “your”.

Nobody wants to work at blizzard, especially with all the sickos that are still in there.

Blizzard’s legal trouble wouldn’t concern me, the gaming industry being notoriously time consuming would though :laughing: