Is the Gilnean worgen doomed?

Possibly in Hyjal though they did travel all over establishing settlements in the blasted lands and val’sharah. There are some sea bound worgen such as seen in island expeditions even becoming pirates.

Doesn’t the mother transfer nutrients and oxygen in her blood through the placenta? I don’t think it’s a matter of her blood literally circulating through the fetus, but in cases of mothers with HIV for example, there’s a chance the baby can be born with HIV, or contract HIV through breastfeeding.

This doesn’t mean for sure that the child of a worgen mother would have the curse, seeing as it’s a magic thing and not a disease, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

My headcanon is that prepubescent children exposed to the curse just don’t transform until their bodies are strong enough to handle it, Teen Wolf-style, and in the future there might be a generation of “natural-born” worgen who are different in some way from cursed worgen.

There’s a lot of inconsistency with how the curse is transfered, you can spread it by making someone drink your blood, yet their babies are born human. You can infect someone with a bite or scratch, yet there’s not a single case of worgen infection in the horde, they could’ve made it so the ritual made the curse inert but they really prefer to just leave us guessing.

waht

2 Likes

I actually scrolled up to double check the date here.

Because while I agree with your points - the Worgen heritage quest sure doesn’t seem to.

There you have the most important non Worgen Gilnean trying to be a Worgen. Being told no by her dad. Going on a weird vision quest simulation of being a worgen. And then concluding being a worgen is a bad idea and it’s not what the Gilnean identity is about.

So guess it’s just tophats and bulldogs, then. As the Kul Tirans got all the cool Anglo fantasy toys already. So uh, too late to retcon the Gilneans into being Irish?

5 Likes

Fair, but to realize she’s alright with being a human (and thus vulnerable to undeath) she had to be denied by her father, denied by the next worgen she turned to (you) and had to summon Goldrinn himself and go on a lengthy vision quest. Most humans don’t get such treatment. If they wished to become worgen (which is shown via Tess that some still do) all they would have to do is turn to the Bloodfang or any sleezy worgen off the street.

Say a human wished to become a druid, for example, they would wish to become a worgen. Not to mention hunters such as those in Northrend, or warriors aspiring to be as strong as Crowley.

Honestly I think it might be interesting if Tess was made undead. She’s clearly frustrated with the limitations of humanity and is more of a free spirit.

If she wants to relax on a full moon night and paint her nails red with the blood of her enemies- the Forsaken are a better option is all I’m saying. She already pals around with Voss, Belmont and Faranel in the Uncrowned.

The forsaken destroyed her city and country, killed her friends, and their leader murdered her brother. You really think she’d ever join them? Really?

4 Likes

Should of been canon that Worgen just can’t have Children.

Would of solved all the lore inconsistencies and gave an actual reason why the Gilneans do not define themselves by their curse.

1 Like

And they’re not the Gilneans enemy. They were forced were into the fight.

My Worgen gets along fine with the Forsaken based on shared culture. Hates Orcs. Views the Forsaken like the Irish view the German mercenaries.

I’d rather see her become a ghostly spirit, would amplify her rogue abilities and make her even more aligned with the ghost pirates she ends up leading in the Hearthstone Witchwood expansion because that team apparently cares more about making Gilneas into a proper kingdom with its own theme than the WoW team does.

Of course that’s assuming she wants to be a supernatural creature of any kind, but a ghostly vengeful spirit rogue is something I can get behind if not a werewolf.

“What defines your human nation?”

Stormwind: “Strong wills and camaraderie.”
Gilneas: “Strong wills and camaraderie. And gloomy weather.”
Kul Tiras: “Strong wills and camaraderie. And ships.”
Lordaeron: “Unbreakable wills and unity of the Forsaken. Totally different.”
Alterac: :skull:
Dalaran: “Who let you in here?”
Stromgarde: “Incredible violence.”

2 Likes

That doesn’t matter much to the Gilneans, considering they have done exactly zilch to make up for what they did, and in recent times they fought on the broken isles, not to mention that the Forsaken were at the forefront of trying to exterminate them again in Darkshore. To say the Gilneans hate the Forsaken would be a grave understatement.

1 Like

I guess. But it’s a pretty one sided beef. You only fight the Worgen in Silverpine and Stormheim. In terms of screen time the Dwarves seem like more of a nemesis than the Worgen do.

It’s weird when factoring in Hillsbrad too, Forsaken fight Worgen more than the other way around, but care far less about them other than a nuisance.

In fact that’s probably the only other thing that really defines the Worgen, their tendency to hold onto hatred a little more strongly than other more forgiving Alliance races, which could have given them some edge but it’s never been a real point of conflict for any of the other races to be wary of and ironically only has been a point of worry for one of their own. (Tess in this case.)

1 Like

In general there’s not a lot of Worgen content. I was actually really surprised you do nothing in Silverpine. There’s a lot of Forsaken quests there where you arrive at the aftermath of some ambush or battle. So I figured you’d get to be doing those ambushes as a Worgen but you never come back after stepping through the portal to Darnassus.

It’s seriously just kind of crappy. Like I get Goblins were a much more complete idea that’s been a part of Warcraft since the beginning (the Undermine is on the first ever rough draft of Azeroth).

But the amount of Cata content they get is not even in orbit of the proportion the Worgen do. There’s a lot of Goblin questlines and even a new zone of their own. By comparison the Worgen almost feel like something the devs didn’t want to do. They’re just sort of there and only have a subplot in Duskwood that I saw.

4 Likes

If I remember right, worgen were somewhat of a late decision in Cataclysm development because allegedly the devs didn’t know what to give the alliance. They had previously considered a sort of dragonborn race (which would vibe with the alliance mostly being traditional DnD races if you consider draenei to be tieflings) before dropping that concept and later recycling them as black dragon minions like Maloriak.

2 Likes

They originally planned for worgen to share Silverpine and end up with their own district in SW to replace the park. Neither made it past concepts, and there wasn’t time for worgen to get more than a tree in Darnassus.

Considering their flag has been replaced with the Stormwind lion on a darker shade of blue as of the heritage quests, I’m pretty sure Blizzard just wants everyone to forget the race exists.

3 Likes

Seriously. I wasn’t playing at the time but I remember being pretty confused about their addition. Before Cata they really only appeared as exp fodder for level 16 Horde toons. And The Barrens and Ghostlands just had more content, so you really only went there if you vibed with the atmosphere.

Whereas the Goblins are such a natural fit for the Horde it’s weird they took that long to be playable. Though they were nominally neutral you’d see them flagged Horde much more often.

Sure it is. But that only makes the Gilnean’s hatred burn brighter, considering they have done nothing to deserve what the Forsaken have done against them, again and again.

2 Likes

To be fair Stormheim is entirely defensive and you don’t actually do anything that bad for a warzone in the Forsaken quests. You’re trying to take over Gilneas so you don’t destroy the place.

When I got around to Gilneas Blueside it was pretty obvious what was supposed to be an epic got edited with a chainsaw for time. It sets up like a ‘time to go on the offensive’ story beat but then just abruptly ends.