Is tanking worth it?

Prior to this expansion I’ve always had my Druid alt that I would tank on, but I really love the DH and decided to try it out. I still enjoy tanking, but it’s really stressful as everyone just seems to be an elitist asshats. Is it even worth tanking despite people being dicks if you ever play sub-perfect? I’m not looking to do like high end mythic+ or heroic raids or anything. Just casually tank, but it doesn’t seem as though that’s even an option unless you enjoy constant hate.

If you enjoy tanking, then it is worth it. Tanking is a bit more stressful at first as you are often the one the group expects to lead them around the dungeon. That said, that isn’t your responsibilty, it is technically the group leader’s. If you aren’t familiar with all the dungeons, then uncheck the group leader tab in the LFG window. If you enter a dungeon or area you aren’t familiar with, then tell the group and ask if anyone knows the way to go. In my experience, people are rarely d**ks if you are upfront with them. Don’t be appologetic or submissive to anyone for this, we all entered these dungeons for the first time and had to learn them.

If you are playing poorly, however, this is something that can be easily remedied with a quick visit to icey-veins. People, especialy in heroics, aren’t going to expect you to or will know if you play optimally but they will expect you to at least hold aggro and use your defensives.

If you do end up in a group with an a**hole or two and they are badgerring you about going the wrong way or pulling unnecessary packs, then tell them you didn’t know and that they can lead the way, you’ll just pick up aggro from what they pull. Listen to their instructions if they say to pull a pack behind LoS or something. Just keep in mind that you will only deal with this person for a few minutes and will never encounter them again for the rest of your life.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that some of the more experienced VDHs here will offer some DH specific advice.

2 Likes

Thank you. I tanked a lot on my druid, but my first few attempts doing a normal on my DH people were really rude. It wasn’t like we were wiping, or I was dropping fast or anything. We got through it without much of a problem, but I was a bit slower than people who main as a tank and can just rush through. I’m happy to hear that my first few experiences aren’t common, and I’ll give it another try. Thank you.

2 Likes

You should download the Method Dungeon Tools add-on and plan out the path and pulls you are taking in the dungeon. It takes a few minutes to do it and will give you a constant reference to help when running through it.

It helps a lot until you get more experience and can just do it by memory. Once you do a few pulls and see how the group is handling it, you can start pulling faster. Especially as a Demon Hunter you have a lot of control, as you have an instant CC, AoE Silence, AoE Fear, and AoE Grip. So You have the tools to recover from a mistake, so don’t be afraid to try and push it a bit.

When I play my Demon Hunter (which hasn’t been much since 8.2), I always move through a dungeon faster than my Druid, simply because I got the mobility and the cooldowns ready to control the groups. Doesn’t mean my druid can’t do it, it can and I do enjoy it more lately, but just understanding your class well helps a lot in being more comfortable in dungeons.

When you tank just remember: BE A MAN… and if you die, blame the healer.

6 Likes

I’ve been tanking a fair amount of high m+ keys on my DH and I think some of the hate might be because of how bad the spec was before the 8.2 buffs. Learning the optimal routes and the niche mechanics is something that will just come with time. Learning in normals and heroics are defintiely the best place to learn. However, I’ve also found queing as dps and watching how a more knowledgeable tank pulls is another great option.

If you are just casually tanking then it’s a perfectly fine class to tank on. I’ve been having the most fun on my DH tank tbh

I truly love tanking not super high keys but my pallie is my main but have a warrior and my now DH. This game is about what you like.

I have found myself wanting my sigils on my warrior and monk. I’m also a sucker for high mobility classes. Love the leap.

Its the pre assumption that DH and Druid are the worst Tank in BFA. Unfortunately it was until 8.2. In 8.3 after getting some buff DH and Druid seems like Solid. Yesterday i saw one youtuber ( madskillzztv ) healing Freehold 10+ with a DH tank. He was surprised how tanky that DH was. I don’t know the issue of people being so salty with you, but as i do tanking regularly i don’t find that kind of problem. Only thing i always assume is as a Tank is i am the leader and whatever i do and tell you to do, just do it accordingly. You should also do the same, Set the tone of the group at the beginning and command the group. If anyone don’t follow your lead, he/she is responsible, not you.

Our healing does seem fairly impressive. Going off of FH10 as well, our Druid Healer (pug) died at the very first powder Shot from Eudora. I was able to keep myself up the entire length of the fight. Was pretty nice! Pre-8.2 I would have been dead very early, especially on Tyrannical weeks.

1 Like