Is selling a WoW account against the ToS?

I saw a thread where a guy said he sold his account to his friend and there were no problems but some have said it is against the ToS to do so.

Is it against the ToS?

Yes, it is. I advise against engaging in such activities.

6 Likes

It’s only illegal if ya get caught :wink:

1 Like

as above, depends if you are going to tell them /get caught - years ago (im not sure about now) there were whole websites dedicated to selling accounts.
… tbh if the new ‘owner’ keeps paying a a sub i dont think they care anyway, and if they did its only because they feel they would not be getting their cut of the sale.

Yea, but your selling it so who cares. Its no longer your problem.

I definitely wouldnt screw my friends, though. I think id just give them my account instead of selling it to them, if they were really a friend.

What do people want to buy? The achievement points? The mounts? The rating?

They will ban your account permanently. 100%

5 Likes

I’m not saying I am trying to sell anything. I just came across an old reddit thread from a while back and the subject was discussed.

Yes, as your account does not technically belong to you. It is property of Activision Blizzard.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how many people don’t know this ^

1 Like

if they find out the owner gets insta banned.

Selling buying trading or letting someone else use your account is against tos.
As well as advertising any of the above will get your acc perm banned.

Even discussing this topic is iffy. Won’t be surprised if its 404’d at some point.

Yes, its probably the biggest nono on their ToS list.

Why? Asking a question about ToS is against ToS? Is it Voldemort?

It’s curious how there are so many marketplaces, that I won’t link from the thread, if people are getting slammed for it.

1 Like

Yes they do. They will ban the account if they find out. Which, if the new owner ever has some kind of problem that requires customer service, is very possible.

I don’t personally feel it is an inappropriate question, but then I’m not Blizzard. They have, in the past, closed down posts discussing issues they felt were inappropriate, for their own reasons.

Of course things happen out there on the internet that Blizzard can’t control. As well as in ‘hidden’ locations like private Discords. I remember the people who got me started in the game back in 09 telling me about seeing people do it and how wrong it was. Anyway, as others have said, it’s against their rules and its risky whichever way you look at it. If you think about it, all the seller would have to do is say their account was hacked, and they would get it back, presumably the buyer would get slammed and end up banned and poorer. So its risky and not allowed.

Someone selling accounts probably wouldn’t care what blizzard would do. After selling, they don’t have anything blizzard can hold over them.

Also from the thread it says there’s a ton of scams surrounding it so it must happen a lot.

unless of course you want to make a new account and then have to provide fake account credientials…it’s a dead giveaway.

I don’t think it’s a good idea.

When I was younger and first started working I was tempted to want to buy. But it feels so much better to be able to able to do things on my own account.