Is Rogue actually good..?

Of course, it all comes down to gear and skill, but I recently started playing Rogue after a year of avoiding it, and I really, really love it.
Can Rogue be super duper good in pvp though? How about mythics?
A LOT of people have told me rogues are too weak and not worth playing… But I’m having too much fun and don’t want to be disappointed later if rogues are “too weak” for the after 120 gameplay.

1 Like

Balance rises and falls with each patch. Pay no attention to fotm keyboard droolers and develop your skill at the class you love.

Even in “weaker” patches for Rogues, the best players will be getting Gladiator and R1 titles. There are no excuses to hold onto a fotm mindset.

13 Likes

Been playing sin in random bgs and have been enjoying it as a solo queuer

Mythics seem to tend toward outlaw more but sin seems to do fine as well from what i hear

3 Likes

If you wanna solo Greater Visions, we’re actually one of the two best classes, the other being big daddy hero class DH.

If you wanna do M+, then Rogues are pretty decent. Outlaw is just made for that content in every way possible, while Sin has this weird mechanic where your dmg relies more on getting restealth between packs than any CDs. You could get destroyed by a fire mage popping Font on a single pull, but you’ll pretty much be doing the same amount of damage every pull, and that makes up for the relative lack of burst. Also, you’ll be playing a rogue, so your team will never be short on utility stuff like CC and Shroud.

If you wanna raid, though, then you’re completely screwed. Sin rogues can scale somewhat nicely with Expedient and Exsang, but it’s nothing compared to how insanely specs like fire mage/arms warrior/BM hunter can scale with high corruption. And, if you don’t wanna play Sin, then you’re even more screwed because Outlaw’s never going to have good single target damage, while Sub is legit so bad that your Corruptions doesn’t even matter anymore. You can build Masterful, you can build haste + Infinite Star, you can balance Severe/Strikethrough, and you can even go for a full Gushing Wound build even after the nerfs. No matter what you do, you’ll end up doing roughly the same damage, because nothing in your kit interacts with any Corruption at all.

4 Likes

Yes. Rogue is very good in PvP.

Assassination is good, dont bother with the other 2. Sub is decent if you have the best gear in the game though :smiley:

2 Likes

I just switched to Assassination rogue today. I was doing Outlaw, super fun levelling, but wasn’t having much luck in dungeons.
Yesterday I was in a dungeon w/a Sin rogue and they had top DPS almost the whole time. Made me switch to that, but I still have a lot to learn lol

Rogues are extremely sought after in all content at the moment but-

-is the only thing that matters. Rogue might be garbage tomorrow and amazing again the next day. It isn’t worthwhile to base your class decision on current viability.

Shoes really nailed it. I think a rogue is a great char to have (whether as a main or alt). I don’t recall a time when all three rogue specs were considered dumpster level.

It’s an awkward expansion, it depends on azerite traits, essences, and situation. I think more than ever, gear determines your best route unless you have multiple sets. Hypothetically if you have all of the options in the world you’ll find Sin/Sub for PvP, Outlaw/Sin for mythic+, Sin/Outlaw for raid.

The nuance of PvP - in 2v2 Sub is great, but over an extended fight will likely be lacking compared to Sin in a 3v3 for example. So find the spec you like, start getting the gear and you’ll learn to adjust based on what you’re doing.

Get your essences.

Good? Number-wise? Yeah. Outlaw in M+ is good. Sin is good in raid.
Enjoyable to play? Not particularly. The specs feels very hollow and deviation from specific builds results in massive dps losses. Corruptions have, oddly enough, opened up previously terrible talents. IE: 80% haste exsaguinate builds are a thing due to corruption.

1 Like

God almighty that’s ridiculous that a thing like that even exist.

1 Like

I’m not sure who is telling you Rogues are weak but they likely played with some bad ones or if they are Rogues themselves then they are playing the class wrong or just not good.

You’ll definitely see low DPS early on compared to other classes but once you start stacking Expedients with Exanguinate and Shrouded Suffocation your DPS will sky rocket, most of the early bosses die in 3 mins. I have reached 400k DPS openers with Haste build, albeit for a short period but it still feels really good.

The class is also really good in M+, you can play Outlaw or Assassination with SSx3 depending on the key and week with great results, a lot of groups will invite Rogues over other melee.

rogue is a solid choice. as someone else said whats strong will change. things like damage will go up and down, but rogues at their worst are still a pretty strong class because of their toolkit.