Is R1 actually achievable by anyone?

Part me thinks it’s a dumb question, part of me doesn’t. So pardon me if it is, but idk I see players that have been glad every season I can remember. I always see them in duro/elwynn high cr …but not high enough I guess. It can’t be game knowledge right like these super high cr glads DO beat r1 teams often thus showing they know what to do to win and are capable of doing it. What’s holding people like this back?

I’d think they just weren’t good enough if I didn’t know that they can and do beat r1 teams I’m not saying they do it every game but I watch a lot of twitch so ik it isn’t once in a blue moon that it does happen. Idk maybe I’m dumb and it’s just not as often as I think. Either way hopefully every person genuinely is capable of it and Slands will be my xpac lul.

Unrelated note : 2475cr disc alliance LF RMP pls. Rlly wanna push 2.7 this season

yes and no

if you’re not apart of the consistent/frequent rank 1 community you have to be ambitious
it really just comes down to having equally ambitious partners and access to an oppressively meta comp

atm i’d say if queued (not played) right, any 2400~2600 capable rmpal could easily walk away with rank 1 this season

a lot of it comes down to playing consistently and most importantly the very last few days of the season

most of the 1 time/new rank one teams that squeak out their title have to sit and watch the ladder until servers go down on the last day of the season qing one game at a time trying to stay just about the cutoff without being too ambitious

most of the time you usually know what you’re going to q into at this point also and plan your qs around it
it’s real sweaty

14 Likes

Dang I didn’t realize that much went into it q wise tbh lmao, figured it was just q up and farm ur way into cutoff range and then the cutoff watching all night to make sure u stay above r1 like u said. I’m sure people do it this way but I’m also sure more newer r1s do it ur way like u said

1 Like

I think this is the biggest thing

there’s a certain commitment you have to make to play around the dodge/snipe system

when you reach a point where skill levels are pretty similar counter comping becomes a bigger hurdle where qing strategically is more efficient to pushing

Interesting what mmr do u think people start doing this at? I’m a measly 2.5 so I don’t imagine I have any need for that but I am actually curious. My guess is around 2.7… 2.6 at the earliest?

As a 10x r1 prot paladin and currently 3k cr I’m gonna give you some good advice.

Play with a good attitude, have fun, and when you lose ask your team what could we do different vs that. And don’t be scared to take a few losses by trying different strategies

8 Likes

u played double healer prot pally back in s8 on vindication right? :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

you a savage talking about gum and Claudio that way

9 Likes

Fixed that for u fam

8 Likes

Ya I def think I could q tons more if I wasn’t so worried about cr even tho mine isn’t at all high to any actual great player . Def gnna try to change that’

Thanks bro!

1 Like

Maaan, PvP is great once you just let this go.

7 Likes

Where are your other 9 r1s

4 Likes

Yea I mean a lot of things are more chill when u don’t care.

1 Like

:rage: stop que dodging my prot/sin dreams or i’ll never sub.

2 Likes

this is a terrible season for it, but one answer to that problem is alts of your main spec. the first time i started getting serious about grinding cr, i ended up playing 5 ww monks to have something to do every day of s18. this season’s alts are significantly more of an investment than the glory days of wod, ofc. YMMV

i mean obviously i have no experience playing at that rating but if they’re 3k cr they can’t be that bad can they?

they are pretty bad they just selectively q into certain teams that they counter cause of comp

1 Like

https://clips.twitch.tv/FineFineCarabeefFrankerZ short answer yes they can

1 Like

Not really. Current or recent r1s play with the same people (and most likely got their rank 1 with one or two other rank 1 players) after they get rank 1 the first time they are able to open up their connections a lot easier and essentially just add more R1s. Then, next season they’re just quen with only rank ones and get another rank 1 bye quen with rank 1s and the cycle continues further while most players just have to settle with bfa glads for partners

1 Like