Is outlaw bad in solo content?

Been thinking about switching for a while now bit I saw some people insisting outlaw is bad in leveling and soloing at 60,is this true?

Outlaw is the best rogue spec because of hookshot so would be sad if I had to use another one :frowning:

While leveling, Sub is more efficient because you kill things in an opener and soothing darkness is good healing for no downtime. Where Outlaw really shines is sustain and cleave, the gameplay in Mythic + is deserving of the word Adrenaline.

1 Like

Outlaw is laughably bad at soloing. Like really bad. One time I forgot to change back to sub to do a quick maw route and even over 215 ilvl it just does absolutely nothing solo. Maw bosses that take me about 3 seconds to kill as sub (not exaggerating) take me 20 as outlaw.

Do yourself a favor and learn both. You don’t need to be good at sub for it to be better at soloing. With decent gear my rotation on normal mobs is literally shadostrike from stealth into an eviscerate mark of death and another eviscerate. On bosses or elites just pop blades symbols dance and an on use trinket and they just melt.

3 Likes

I only really play solo content so that’s a bummer <.<

Do you think it’s going to get better as shadowlands evolve or is outlaw just going to be bad at this?

Rogue and mage are probably the 2 worst soloing classes for anything that is hard to kill.

But they are fine for 99% of anything you are going to kill while leveling.

Someone mentioned the maw farther up. I kill anything in the maw that isnt raid boss level with no problem as combat.

My mains are outlaw rogue and fire mage, so maybe I’m just not used to how “easy” certain other classes can be while leveling, but I have never had a hard time clearing world/solo content as outlaw. ESP if you throw on mark of the master assassin for quick questing, stuff just melts. We have gouge, kidney, sap, blind, evasion and cloak
 plenty of options/control/defense. Turn on WM and you even got access to smoke bomb.

1 Like

they get a lot better with gear, early 60 soloing will take a while to kill the hard stuff but with all the tools we have its usually fine

1 Like

Outlaw has the the problem that combat/outlaw has had since vanilla: leveling is a little bit of a pain (though i don’t think it’s the worst melee to level right now), and is off to a slow start at max level until it gets better gear. Once an outlaw is in higher gear it does fairly well.

As someone who leveled to 60 as Outlaw:

Level as Sub.

Outlaw is fine at killing things, and is even alright at pulling more mobs than sub. However outlaw is slow. Even with Irongut and chugging Vial on cooldown, you frequently have to stop to eat.

Sub, with Soothing Darkness, doesn’t have that problem. You’ll heal for 10%-30% of your max health between each mob via doing nothing but dropping into stealth and each dance will return something like 70% of your max health over its duration.

The damage element isn’t important, because what really matters is how efficient sub is for chain pulling / longer fights.

1 Like

Sub has been the best toe to toe spec and leveling spec for a long time.

Multiple Shadow Dance charges combined with Soothing Darkness means you are steam rolling objectives and content. Throw in the fact that the combo point generation is higher along with shadowblades being a better CD than AR and it is pretty apparent quickly that Sub is the best spec for new players to start off with or ideal for leveling.

Outlaw’s edge is tied to Restless Blades which comes much later and requires the right gear set up. So, in other words not ideal for leveling and questing in early blues as Outlaw requires
experience.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

Nah gear level is irrelevant. Outlaw is always nearly the worse soloing spec in the game. Getting 220 ilvl isn’t going to change this relative to other specs with similar ilvl. Can an high ilvl outlaw kill some normal mobs and stuff sure, but even if you 1 shot mobs as outlaw it is still less efficient than doing it as sub because sub has infinite heals and teleports (while also 1 shotting anything outlaw can).

Outlaw is very RNG because if you roll Grand Melee and have 220 ilevel gear you are steam rolling as a solo spec.

But as Outlaw if you roll Buried Treasure you are in a world of hurt because you can’t put out enough damage.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

Outlaw’s greatest weakness is its lack of defensive cool-downs. Evasion is a terrible replacement for Riposte.

1 Like

Why is Evasion worse than Riposte? They should be a least equal. In some cases better since I believe ranged attacks can’t be parried, but can be dodged. It has been a very long time since I tested that, though. Years. <.<

2 Likes

This right here is why rogue is no longer my main. RtB, even with all of its “fixes” is still a horrible ability. RtB makes combat, erm, outllaw, a lot less fun for me in every single situation. Yeah, getting all of the combos at once is fun, but for the other 99 times that RtB is used, it’s blah. I still say it’s an absolute trash ability and just needs to go.

1 Like

Outlaw Rogues don’t have a problem with casters or Hunters. Their glaring problem is dealing with armor and keeping uptime on melee heavy mobs due to lack of survivability and useful cool-downs that keeps damage up like Riposte.

I still don’t understand what you mean. Evasion does the same thing Riposte does. It even has the counterattack damage with Rank 2.

2 Likes

Outlaw / Sub are both fine in solo content . Sub can maul single enemies in a flash outlaw can mow down packs of enemies like it’s nothing. both are solid.

either way when you get to max levels you will have the freedom to choose just about any covenant you want unless you are going for CE. All are within a few percent of each other. no other class in the game has that kind of freedom.

One added bonus is since outlaw typically uses 1h main and dagger off hand once you have your main hand weapon you can switch your loot spec to sub and keep both geared easily. Stats are different slightly but since there is so much rng in pve loot it generally means you will always get something good for either spec or both every week from your chest.

Play the class-not the spec.

2 Likes

What is preferred talents for Sub solo? Lots of guides out there but they are dated with all the hot fixes and nerfs that have occurred.

Leveling my rogue now and loving sub - I am going to swap to outlaw at 58 to learn rotation and abilities

Great thread!

Premed, nightstalker, marked for death, soothing darknes, prey on the weak, enveloping shadows, master of shadows.

Not much wiggle room for soloing, just stick with these.

3 Likes