Is Nathanos betraying Sylvanas

With his constant “Play along” could Nathanos be trying to help the rebellion while pretending to stay loyal ? Is he telling the player to be a double agent while being one himself ? Maybe he has seen the Old God influence or maybe Helya’s influence on Sylvanas and wants to save her from herself. I am just trying to grasp for a reason why he has Horde loyalists help the rebellious ones so much including foiling his own traps.

2 Likes

They only implemented the loyalist side quests because of backlash. There’s really not much else to it.

16 Likes

I kinda hope not. As much as I’m done with Sylvanas and ready for her to be out of the Horde, I’m even more sick of Nathanos. If I have to see him at all after BfA I’m gonna be mad about it.

1 Like

He’s been so overused and ubiquitous in Legion and BfA that I’m all but certain he’ll be our new Forsaken leader when Sylvanas inevitably bails on the Horde.

But I agree with Draegar. I liked him well enough as a flavourful quest giver in vanilla but I can’t stand the character anymore. More shallowly, I also really, really hate that they gave the other Forsaken hero a “pretty” human model that doesn’t at all resemble the race and kind of want him gone just for that.

5 Likes

no. blizzard is just too stupid(they appear to be) to write something for the loyalists and since the writers refuse to listen to criticism they will never learn.

1 Like

It’s not so much they refuse to write something for the loyalists as it is that they literally didn’t know anyone would want to stay loyal. A definite lack of foresight for sure, but assuming that Blizzard is telling the truth about how far ahead they plan things, understandable in present time.

1 Like

they arent even trying to care. the “play along” crap makes no sense for this patch. they are not even trying.

I just told you - the “play along” thing isn’t from a lack of care. It’s because (and this is assuming that they truly do plan entire expacs out before launch) there isn’t the production time to make a parallel scenario for loyalists. Battle for Azeroth is by and far seeing the most on the fly change than any other expac I’ve witnessed, due to heavy player feedback. But there isn’t anything past “play along” with the Saurfang side because they literally didn’t intend for anyone to not side with Saurfang.

I seriously doubt this. Garrosh still had loyalists and he had nowhere near as large a fanbase as Sylvanas. They know how much money she makes them, there’s no way they didn’t know. Didn’t care is probably more accurate.

4 Likes

I am the farthest thing from a loyalist, but it is staggering to me that Blizzard wrote the Horde into an awful, genocidal corner, but then also expected no one to care about setting us to up lose our fourth Warchief in five expansions. I think they dramatically misjudged a) the depth of the outrage over Teldrassil, by failing to realize just how far they’d gone; and b) the depth of Horde player spite over the fact that our faction keeps being ripped apart at the seams to satisfy their lack of ability to generate story conflict in any other meaningful way.

2 Likes

also showing that the horde cant fix its own problems. it needs the alliance to help it. they really do not care about the horde despite what has been claimed.

2 Likes

Part of me would actually hope for some wavering from Nathanos. When he was given his new body, it was purposefully revealed that it came with the side effect of having “the feels” again. The first he felt was regret, being that the one sacrificed to give Nathanos that new body was his very own nephew, whom he would have been proud of for growing up to be the Paladin he wanted to be. Guilt is a powerful and destructive emotion that can erode your resolve over time like no other.

Blizzard hasn’t given us any insight ever since… or have they? He hesitated in Arathi when Sylvanas wanted to kill even those who were returning to her as ordered (if I’m remembering right). He also gave her one of the best “WTF?!” looks of BfA when she ordered them to burn Teldrassil. Perhaps these were subtle hints that he’s still dealing with the ramifications of these newfound feelings.

I dont want this to be a loose thread with no actual reason or direction. I’d like to see where this is going for him, and it’d make him a vastly more interesting character than the guy who’s been dripping with disrespect every time he says “Speaker of the Horde…” to me this expansion.

In 8.3 we’re going to kill Sylvanas while working undercover for Sylvanas. This will never be addressed.

4 Likes

From my understanding, Jaina went there to save Baine but also Saurfang and Thrall. Meaning, the Horde PC and Alliance PC- run into each other unknowingly. And only THEN decide to help get each get out with Baine.

Not sure how that’s “forcing the Alliance’s help”, in the context you are using it. We both mutually care about Baine’s well being.

Forcing Alliance help, would be us spending the entire expansion doing NOTHING about our evil warchief and then Alliance poofing in and saying “Here. Let us help you. Since you don’t seem to have any spine”.

Can we just please make official the “Play along” meme already?

Blizzard has made several decisions that seems counterproductive to making money.

2 Likes

It would be fairly easy to make one, just make the loyalist players assist the sunreavers.

yeah exactly like i said there was never meant to be a choice they added it cause tears flooded into the forums over it. im cracking up that they’re just pranking the loyalist side the rest of the way basically. “uhh play along” lmao. dont worry im convinced they’ll give loyalists like a toy or something at the end of it to make it worth it. and probably some custom text dialogue. but yeah people are crazy for thinking they’re gonna flat out rewrite the story. i mean how would that even work? like afrasiabi said he flirted with deleting player characters at the end based on who they picked, because i mean one side has to lose right?? but of course they can’t do that and no player would want that. sooooo like what else do people want

this would mean losing though. the story is linear they can’t make multiple outcomes for the larger narrative.

1 Like

You could still lose to Jaina, Thrall and Saurfang and escape I don’t see the issue here.

So you side with the sun reavers, they all die anyways and your player character is knocked out cold by thrall and saurfang and jaina?