Is my hunter missing something

Greetings other guys/gals that play hunters. As the topic suggests, I’d like to know if my toon is missing something. I ran a quick sim on the character “Thronzo-Proudmoore” says I should be pulling around 19k dps with my current item lvl and spec. I have tried using Maxdps addon (ElvUI, and others), following that rotation for single target for boss fights, but only pull around 13.5k, and can’t seem to break 14k dps. I am wondering if my toon is stuck there because his weapon is still 385, or if I’m missing valued patch information on my account. Again wouldn’t have an issue with this, but my other toons that aren’t as geared have higher dps in single target boss fights. Is this blizzard’s way of making me play other classes, by nerfing my dps as I play a hunter, or am I missing something?

Try using Wow Analyzer… just a brief look at a few of your logs Shows you have too much downtime, your not keeping your pet buff up hardly at all and your not using your CD’s… not trying to be mean or butcher you up… Like I said… Wow Analyzer will help you a ton. And I am by no means a pro level player, I consider myself average at best.

I looked at your normal Grong kill here since you died midway on the H Grong kill. Unfortunately this forum doesn’t allow links (whaaat) so I can’t really provide very helpful links on it…

A couple things come to mind.

1. You’re not using Barbed Shot correctly. Your goal with Barbed Shot is primarily to keep 3 stacks of Frenzy on your pet as much as possible. 100% uptime at 3 stacks is generally not possible (other than on very short fights). Your uptime % is very low. For reference, on a 7.5 minute fight I was able to keep it at 3 stacks at around 80% of the time. You need to wait until the buff is about to drop before casting another one, and wait until you nearly have 2 charges of the ability prior to casting it if the buff is currently off. Basically read the icy-veins guide, it’ll tell you more details about this :slight_smile:

Note: you can’t click my links cuz this forum doesn’t allow links. Remove the space between warcraftlogs and .com and then it should work :slight_smile:

You can see your uptime here: warcraftlogs .com/reports/NCRXmMJTPkKW7Afa#fight=4&type=auras&source=13&ability=272790
Versus one of my logs: warcraftlogs .com/reports/DnBP3pZRgdXHTJqr#fight=13&type=auras&source=34&ability=272790

1. I don’t know if you already did this, but make sure you macro in your pet’s damaging ability into your spells. See this page: icy-veins .com/wow/beast-mastery-hunter-pve-dps-macros-addons
    Note: you can’t click my links cuz this forum doesn’t allow links. Remove the space between icy-veins and .com and then it should work :slight_smile:

2. You barely used Barrage at all. It’s an inferior talent choice to Stomp generally anyway, so you probably shouldn’t choose it, but if you are going to choose it, you should be casting it (I assume, I never run it :stuck_out_tongue: ).

3. You should be casting Cobra Shots to spend focus and downtime, and to reduce Kill Command’s CD. i.e., you want to cast them when you get the CD reduction benefit too, not just to spend focus. In general, a guideline is that you should be trying to spend two cobra shots in between each kill command. In practice, this will vary depending upon what other spells are coming off CD, so it’s not a hard-and-fast rule. But right now you are basically wasting all of the CD reduction.

4. You missed out on a ton of Kill Command casts. It’s a very damaging ability and you really, really don’t want to be missing out on casting it.

In general, the icy veins guide is a good starting point, and running your logs through wowanalyzer can reveal a bunch of stuff. If you have further questions, Trueshot Lodge (the hunter Discord - just google Hunter Discord and you’ll find it) can provide more detailed help.

Your weapon is not the reason your DPS is low, because your simmed result takes into account the weapon you use. Do keep in mind that the sim is assuming you are using hero, prepot / 2nd pot, and food buff. If you go under “Advanced” options when simming you can turn those off, such that you get a better idea when working on a target dummy of what you should be hitting (I’m assuming you don’t actually use those when practicing on target dummy).