Is Multiboxing in wPvP against the rules?

I just received a DM in Discord from a Horde Mage, who shall remain nameless, who picked a fight with a guildie of mine in Silithus over farming rights to the air eles, and admitted to logging multiple multibox accounts to kill my guildie after he came back with friends.

It was my understanding that although muliiboxing itself is fine, doing it to gain and advantage in wPvP is a big no-no. Can I get a word from someone who knows whether or not my guildie should report this guy for violating the TOS?

why would it be against the rules have you seriously never seen a 40 man multiboxer pvping in w pvp?

2 Likes

Multiboxing is fine.

3 Likes

I know that multiboxing in and of itself is fine, but I didn’t know if using it to gain an advantage in wPvP was kosher.

@Madtweak, no I haven’t. I’ve never even heard of it.

we had a 40 man mutiboxer on my server in wrath who camped wintergrasp the entire expansion with like a 80% win rate

Wow…

…Seriously tho, if multiboxing in wPvP isn’t against the rules, then it should be. It effectively makes wApvP in WoW P2W.

2 Likes

you can sapper a mutiboxer down with about 8 people easily as long as you get in melee range take a few paladins and run at him with bubble then sapper or have a few rogues stealth up and do it or a group of warriors charge in with shield wall and sapper theres no counter to a sapper barrage other than spreading out which most multiboxers wont do or a pally bubble

Multiboxing is not against the TOS. PvPing while multiboxing is not against the TOS. The only thing that would be against the TOS would be if he was botting, or working with the opposite faction on a PvP server to kill your friend.

3 Likes

Did the period and comma key fall off your keyboard?

That being said, multiboxing isn’t banned because it makes Blizzard money. How roving around with 40 characters controlled by 1 player isn’t considered cheating is beyond me.

2 Likes

yes i removed all them because im a warrior and all i know is zug zug

2 Likes

if a person can multibox 5 mages to grand Marshall u can die in open world vs one.

Make your own game and then you can set your own rules

1 Like

Multiboxing is a valuable and valid play style in WoW Classic. Just as 1 person can PVP, do can a group of friends, a multiboxer, a guild, or a faction.

WoW is a game about characters. 5 characters will likely beat 1 character in PVP and this is by design. Just as 20 characters will likely beat 4. This is by design.

If you are in a party of 2, and run into a party of 10, then you will likely lose in PVP. It doesn’t matter if that 10 is a party, a guild, a multiboxer, a PuG, whatever.

This is by design.

1 Like

Blizzard doesn’t care about multiboxers, which is another reason private servers are better than classic

3 Likes

Nope.

1 Like

Gaining an advantage in world PvP or in farming is the whole point of multiboxing. If they couldn’t use it to gain an advantage over other players, nobody would do it.

I don’t like it, either, but Blizzard gets paid to look the other way, so it’s not going anywhere.

1 Like

Multiboxing does not gain an advantage in PVP, in fact, it only has disadvantages.

For example, 5 mages controlled by 5 people will always have advantages over 5 mages controlled by 1 person. The 5 people can act individually, move and perform individual actions, have greater strategy as individuals, etc.

Multiboxing literally has no advantages.

People instead multibox because of the sheer amount of strategic and tactical mastery required to multibox. It takes an otherwise easy game and makes it more of an intellectual challenge.

1 Like

I never really understood the “advantage” that multiboxing gives in WoW

There’s enough players around that any group content can just be grouped. And I guess you could multibox a raid, but obviously never as well as an actual raid group of players

What is the big benefit of multiboxing?

Usually games start to have more and more multiboxing as their playerbase dwindles. Like Everquest, for example, was a game with PvE that was more difficult and more unforgiving than WoW’s, and designed to make soloing content just about impossible for most classes at high levels, especially group or raid content

I ran a 2box and then later a 3box in EQ years ago because I had to, there just wasn’t enough players on live servers anymore to group for the group content. Fun challenge, I did the ghetto way of just alt-tabbing back and forth like a maniac

But like I said, WoW will probably never have as few players as EQ live does, so I don’t understand the appeal of multiboxing in WoW

In BG’s this is true, because it’s taking up slots that would be better utilized by other players. It’s a poor tradeoff. But in world pvp, it is used to gain a numerical advantage. Same thing when farming. It multiplies the power of the player.

Multiboxing isn’t about benefit. Because realistically, 10 characters played by 1 person has VAST disadvantages as 10 characters played by 10 people.

Instead, people multibox because of the sheer challenge of playing multiple characters at the same time. The intellectual levels required to do all of the preplanning, strategy, tactical situations, and everything, are intense, and more so the more people you multibox.

That is why people multibox.