Is Loot Council anything but "Scammers" in Classic?

These guilds are nothing more than “loot funnel” guilds, it’s usually a group of friends that want the loot they did not get 15 years ago, or some disgusting private server guild.

There is no progression in Classic, how can you progress in something that has already been done?

10 Likes

so what item did you get passed up for?

51 Likes

I mean, the only things I didn’t get I wanted forever ago was The Untamed Blade (got it!) and Thunderfury (waiting on Bindings…). It just depends on the guild. Ours has been very fair, but it does get awkward with the warrior/rogue gear crossover, since some items are also good for our tanks. (lol@having 9 Accurias, Onslaught Girdles, and 8 Chromatic Boots but 0 Lok’amir, DFTs, Maladaths, Ashjre)

I too, want to know what item he didn’t get.
These stories are usually pretty fun.

7 Likes

We have an open loot council system where everyone gets to debate who gets the item. Sounds like you just have a shady guild and should leave.

2 Likes

Stick with pugs, they sound more your speed.

2 Likes

Most loot systems are just loot council with some extra steps.

7 Likes

Hey!

What item did you not get? Kinda leaving Niia and I hanging over here.
Don’t be a tease.

Was it a good item?
Does your guild have an evil ‘Shadow Council’ that funnels all the good purples?

2 Likes

Heard a good phrase for these adorable troll posts recently. “Weapons-grade bad take.”

If you don’t like a loot system find a guild with a different one.

1 Like

The only items that I feel loot councils have a tendency to not do very well are hot ticket items like DFT where they have to make the decision between who it’s “best for” and who wants it enough to start drama about not getting it before X class.

2 Likes

The question is what items did the clique get?

There’s a special guild on Herod with a mage who had every single BiS two months ago while no warlock had a tear yet.

He got tear/staff/helm/cloak/bracers/ring/ringo/ before zg even came out.

The most ridicule part is that even with all that he was no better than other mages or locks

3 Likes

Our guild uses LC.

Every single Neltharion’s Tear that’s dropped to date has been prio’d to Warlocks (we’ve seen 3).

Warlocks were given prio on Bracers of Arcane Accuracy too.
The first band of forced concentration went to a mage, the 2nd went to a warlock.

We’ve seen (0) staff of Shadowflame, and (0) Claw of Chromagg. The first (2) Mish were prio’d to (2) mages. The other (2) mages (as we have 4) were prio’d their 8 piece Netherwind first.

The (2) mages who were prio’d Mish have Mageblades ; the (2) mages who have 8 piece Netherwind do not, but they will be prio’d Staff of the Shadowflame when it drops. I’ll also plan on passing Band of Forced to them (the 2 Netherwind mages) when it drops again.

Just about every guild has cliques. The LC isn’t very smart if they’re predicating all loot distribution decisions around what’s ideal for ‘the clique’ in the short term. AQ40 and Naxx aren’t even out yet.

Generally, you want to reward performance and consistent attendance with loot, but often times it’s prudent to spread out the drops in general to quell any potential drama and keep the raid team relatively happy. (1) person having Staff of Shadowflame or a Neltharion’s tear over another isn’t generally going to be the ‘make of break’ for a guild attempting a boss.

Twin Emperors can be downed if none of your Warlocks have Neltharion’s Tear. That said, everybody knows Warlocks are hit starved and when the raid doesn’t prio +hit items to Warlocks, it hurts the raids overall DPS. Not only does individual Warlock DPS suffer, but the raids aggregate DPS suffers on fights like Twin Emperors.

Giving (1) person Staff of Shadowflame, Bracers of Arcane Accuracy, Band of Forced, and Neltharion’s Tear towards the start of a raid cycle basically communicates to the rest of your raid team that you don’t value them.
Unless you are seeing multiples of those items drop, its pretty unreal.

When I searched for a new guild to join months ago, I made a point of looking for one that used LC. There are serious drawbacks for LC if you don’t have an accurate grasp of who the people in your guild actually are.

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with a loot council because I don’t want anything to do with a guild that uses one. It seems to me to invite drama, resentment and problems. I hear it can work well, but I wouldn’t know because I opted out of any such system.

1 Like

I didn’t get passed up on an item, over the course of classic I have hopped around in a few different guilds. These are just things I have noticed.

Loot Council guilds are not new player friendly, maybe in a performance based one, but those are very few. I would say as someone familiar with WoW, but not Classic when it launched, there are definitely things I would do differently if we went back 10 months.

I have been in 3 LC guilds, 1 EPGP, and 1 DKP. I would say the most liked was DKP with hard decay, the reason for this is I could spend my time (points) however I wanted.

10 months in, if you are joining a LC guild, you will be last on prio for anything worth showing up for. If you are referenced for items given, they will always be tier pieces that were going to be disenchanted, any jewelry/trinkets/weapons you will be last for.

Personal loot would have maybe brought more good pugs together, why raid with a guild that will make you forfeit your loot for “progression” when you can just pug and have a shot at your own loot. I think personal loot would have retained a bulk of player that have quit since the first couple months of launch.

Although gatekeepers of classic would have hated personal loot, and blizzard would have never gotten away with it in classic.

1 Like

Sounds like you joined a new guild day 1 and wanted to get free purples without putting in the effort. No one is giving you CTS and DFT in a pug for free, lower your expectations or find a guild that is willing to give you free epics. Good luck.

1 Like

That’s true of any system that rewards its raiders time spent. Really only an open roll guild will ever change that.

Most of them are, there are a few guilds that legitimately use loot council for speed runs and will for progress. But yeah the vast majority of guilds using loot council have no reason to and are just doing it to give loot to friends.

You’ve been in (5) different guilds since classic launched?
I could understand 2…or maybe 3…but (5)?

Having a finite amount of loot is part of what makes Classic interesting; it adds weight to item drops from bosses. Personal loot diminishes the importance of finally ‘getting’ a coveted drop. It also removes the need to have much in the way of emotional intelligence when dispersing loot among your peers.

Frankly, the guilds who use LC aren’t going to not use LC going forward simply because you (as an individual) didn’t like it. You might see a shift away from LC if guilds who utilize it can’t find new recruits to fill vacancies. That said, LC guilds are often aware of the need to bring in valuable/high performing raid members (new ones in particular) up to equity with their raiding peers.

Ex. Your a new recruit and do AQ40 with a guild. You aren’t prio’d for the big drops the first few weeks of the new content tier (because your a new member). That doesn’t mean you don’t get big BWL drops though, or that you get no AQ40 drops. Eventually after several raid lockouts; LC allocation for drops becomes much less about seniority and even performance (to an extent) and much more about “What will avoid headaches for the LC/Officer core? Who will this loot benefit the most? Who hasn’t gotten a big drop recently?”

2 Likes

Loot council imo is the worst loot system. It’s a completely bias system where reputation is king. As a DPS, you don’t get loot because your DPS is bad but your DPS is bad because you get passed up on loot. My guild does a fair dkp system and I don’t need to worry about this bias loot council system.

5 Likes