Is it the Horde's fault that Zandalar is attacked?

see i knew i was missing something, but it’s starting to come back. Wasn’t she specifically ordered not to blight them?

1 Like

Yes. Thrall outlawed the use of Blight and Garrosh upheld that ban, though a watered down version was allowed.

After she returned from Northrend, she took over the invasion cause Garrosh was literally throwing lives away, and decided to use the full Blight against General Warhowl’s reminder that the Blight was banned.

It was done in secret, though, so I don’t know if the Horde even know now. you’d think it’d be something the Alliance would tell the Horde, you know to instill inner turmoil.

Even the watered down Blight was lethal though. Southshore was the watered down version, though if I recall it was more potent than the Forsaken intended. They probably watered it down further, since they didn’t intend to render Southshore inhospitable.

6 Likes

No, Genn would not be a problem for the horde if Sylvanas had never invaded Gilneas. So we are back to blaming Sylvanas? Or do we want to pin that on another horde warchief?

3 Likes

Actions sure do have unintended consequences. The Zandalari inadvertently got the Alliance as an enemy in seeking out the Horde as a friend. Not exactly a fault issue. It just is what it is. Just like the Kaldorei wound up with a genocide on their hands for seeking the Alliance all those years ago. Stuff happens.

“Every reprisal is itself an act of aggression, and every act of aggression triggers immediate reprisal.”
–Taran Zhu

I just love this quote in Genn’s context rofl. As though it also condones the unprovoked slaughter of a neutral nation that sparked that revenge. Or as though it doesn’t also condemn Sylvanas for building an undead revenge machine out of the shattered remains of Lordaeron’s people, no matter the price.

If someone wants to wag fingers at Genn in a witch hunt for the moment original sin took place, they’re off base. They need to stick their finger a bit deeper back into the recesses of the lore to get to the heart of it.

3 Likes

So. . . you are absolutely for vigilante murder? Totally justified, and it’s even perfectly all right to hijack another military mission and get most of the military forces on it killed in seeking that revenge? I hope for the sakes of all the innocent bystanders that you never suffer any loss in your life at all. That’s the unfortunate socio-ethical calculus of revenge-murder. You trade two lives for one live and inflict a variable amount of physical and social damage on everyone near either of those two lives, and you prompt counter-revenge in turn. It is ALWAYS an incredibly selfish, socially-destructive act.

I’m not wagging my finger at Genn. That quote just hits on one of the essential facts regarding revenge in general.

1 Like

Are. . . you not? The race you are defending and routinely rep here is built on revenge.

Remove yourself from player POV. Try it.

Sylvanas is to Gilneas what Arthas is to Silvermoon.

Genn is to Sylvanas what Sylvanas is to Arthas.

6 Likes

As opposed to genocide? You need to separate wow lore from real life. Sylvanas is clearly blatantly evil in BFA, genn’s act was justified from genn’s POV. From an Alliance Pov, it was foolish. Same goes for what Sylvanas was up to in Stormheim.

Sylvanas and Genn had their feud, which had not engulfed the entire Horde and Alliance.

After MoP and into WoD, the entire Horde and Alliance on Azeroth was at relative peace while AU Draenor was being assaulted. Sylvanas even fought besides the High King of the Alliance at the start of Legion.

Genn usurped Alliance command to betray Anduin and the Alliance.

Sylvanas and the High King of the Alliance fought side by side. So dont tell me she never sought to work with the Alliance.

A High King like Varian could keep Genn in place. Anduin is naive.

So yes - Genn is clearly the one who is at fault. I don’t recall Genn fighting back to back with a Warchief - but Sylvanas has done so with a High King.

3 Likes

that got retconned in the chronicles it now says that sylvanas convinced garrosh to let her invade gilneas for the horde, because she wanted gilneas for herself

1 Like

Yes, but garrosh is worse then genn and sylvanas so listening to him is probably a bad idea. Also, Gilneas wasn’t invaded by forsaken forces until after the cataclysm. They could not get through the wall and in an alternate future died trying. But garrosh did initiate it and didn’t give her much of a choice on the matter.

again that got retconned, she did have a choice in the matter because she was the one who convinced garrosh to let her lead a invasion into gilneas because she wanted to add gilneas to her domain

I though it said Sylvanas was willing to invade Gilneas cause she didn’t like having them on her border, not that she convinced Garrosh to do it. It was still Garrosh’s order, Sylvanas just didn’t have a problem with it.

Which isn’t a retcon, we didn’t know previously what Sylvanas thought of the invasion itself.

2 Likes

here is the quote from chronicles volume 3

garrosh was not the only member of the horde who desire gilneas, sylvanas windrunner was eager to bring the kingdom into her domain, she convinced garrosh to give her control over the invasion force and she led the horde’s rampage through the isolated nation

page 201, so in short she wanted land, more specifically gilneas’s land so she convinced garrosh to let her lead the invasion so she could add gilneas to her territory.

3 Likes

It was my understanding that Garrosh ordered her to give him total command for a Horde offensive led by him - but she convinced him to allow her to lead the offensive.

The “retcon” is that she always wanted Gilneas and was happy to invade and wanted to lead the invasion. But it isnt really a retcon. It just adds an unknown motivation.

It was still a prompting from Garrosh.

4 Likes

She did exactly that though. She convinced garrosh to give her the force because she knew he would bring about the extinction of the forsaken. All this actually states is that she wanted to invade gilneas too. It doesn’t say she convinced him to attack. She convinced him to let her do it her way. That’s shown in game.

9 Likes

except the chronicles doesn’t say anything about extinction, the only motivation it gives is simply she wanted the land. so she got involved, but was never ordered to do so

… Yes. That’s exactly what happened. Sylvanas convinced Garrosh to give her control over the invasion force. That’s always how it’s been.

Your quote does not say Sylvanas asked to invade Gilneas, it says she asked Garrosh to give her control of the invasion. Which is exactly what we saw in Edge of Night.

10 Likes

Just because it doesnt go into 4 pages of details on things that are in game doesnt mean it’s a retcon. It says she convinced him to let her lead the attack and that she wanted to invade gilneas. It does NOT say that she convinced him to attack gilneas. It leaves out a ton of details, but that’s not a retcon. It also doesnt have to say he ordered her to because they have a short story with all the lovely details already.

but there is one stark difference, as i told the granfaloon, it says nothing about her not wanting the forsaken to go extinct like in edge of the night, but instead gives the motivation of the desire of land.

It doesnt exclude anything though. It’s not like it says anything that erases what happened in edge of night. It just adds in that she wanted gilneas so she took on leading the assault instead of refusing to attack altogether.
Again, not saying something does not mean it’s a retcon.

1 Like