Is it me or has the forsaken playerbase gotten more mellow/neutral?

Just wondering, it went from being mostly lawful evil types to not being true neutral/neutral good characters in the last years or so.

1 Like

The edgelord novelty of playing a Forsaken has worn off.

2 Likes

Destroyed by scarlet Rpers :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

We just doing our best out here homie <3

Yeah every faction war xpack you get these people who do it for the Edgelord vibe

Where the Defiler Rpers at D:

Narratively I see the suffering primarily through Calia (if you even count her) and Voss to a lesser extent. Though Voss still has no problem just going on a murder spree. You still see that cooky, if not lawful, evil if not just their usual anti-hero portrayal in Faranell and Belmont. Velarona is up in the air, but Iā€™d state from a general lack of screen time more than anything.

Beyond them, weā€™ve gotten criminally close to nothing as far as Forsaken development goes. The player base equally has been reduced because of the narrative surrounding Sylvanas, though seems to be on the mends. Weā€™ve also all matured over the past 5-10 years since weā€™ve started playing. So hopefully the cooky scary skeletons come back, but without some of the over the top wanton edge that often came with the community.

I might ooze and war crime an entire retreating battalion with plague but I draw the line at overly descriptive murder of babies.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think they are more mellow or neutral, so much as psychologically at the point of having been defeated so many times over that they donā€™t feel emboldened. While sure the Forsaken are used by Blizzard to start fights, the end result is typically them getting wrecked: see the Undercity being successfully raided twice now.

In various RP circles I frequently hear non-Forsaken rpers generally regarding the Forsaken as little more than Blight throwing goons which is a far cry from the OG Forsaken story being the Scouring and Fall of Lordaeron.

Calia Menethil has great potential to return the story to that of a dark fallen Kingdom, which would be a refreshing change of pace aside from the blight goons. While the blight goons are valid, they kind of took over the story for far too long, and people in many cases forgot the story of just who the Forsaken were.

There is also the perception that a lot of the OG Forsaken player base are older players, and have a more mature approach to our creative writing. In my guild we are definitely a community of people who tend to be 25+ years old, with a good number of us being 30+.

4 Likes

There certainly was an allure to the old school Forsaken-- the questionable things they did, how their rank-and-file inhabited the dilapidated structures of their pre-undead lives, and how they were constantly struggling with proving to Azeroth that they were not the same monsters that marched upon Lordaeron with Arthas-- that latter part being particularly compelling, as in trying to avoid that label often times alluded to them becoming the very thing they wanted to avoid.

But now theyā€™re just grey-skinned humans. Theyā€™re not parts of the Scourge who managed to rekindle their own free will, nor undead beings in various states of decomposition frantically struggling to ward off oblivion that comes as a result of physics & nature, nor are they the lost people desperately seeking a return to normalcy after enduring a horrendous fate. They just are. They have no detail or nuance to them anymore, and this I think is a result of the lore writers trying to force on them a ā€˜uniqueā€™ identity when they had already developed one.

1 Like

Say that with the voice of Cleavon Little

2 Likes

I loved this post so much, I think it might be aging too, and some of the roleplayers have aged their writing skills like wine.

Being 30+ I can see how much my own tastes and the ones of the people Iā€™ve met over the years have improved.

Do you think this to be a bad thing? I personally prefer them not forcing an entire race into a box. Itā€™s part of the reason I stop caring to play gnome because they were put into a comical box where they are rarely taken seriously. Atleast imho.

2 Likes

What!

No! No! Itā€™s not over! Itā€™s never over, not until weā€™re all six feet under.

Thereā€™s not many left and we canā€™t make more, but I will not rest until the living are dead.

1 Like

Mine was Professor Elwin ā€œStinkfingersā€ Garvin, alchemist extraordinaire. Always was combing his hair (or what little of there was) and he always was concocting silly brews.

He got the name Stinkfingers because his hands always smelled funny, he never answered people if they asked if it was because he was undead or that he worked with weird chemicals.

His name got reported for ā€˜being inappropriateā€™

1 Like

Yeah Cole started out as a Sylvanas fanatic. After BfA I justā€¦lost interest in the Forsaken storyline. Maybe one day itā€™ll come back but after roleplaying the same Forsaken for 12 years I just couldnā€™t keep justifying the next goofy thing we did. Killed the character off shortly before Shadowlands.

I hope Calia can return the Forsaken to what they used to be - a people scorned by the world just trying to survive.