Is "Hope" some kind of Entity/Deity on WoW's lore?

Title.

Seems everytime the “Hope” word is mentioned ingame/inlore, something big happens.

Like in Sylvanas Harbinger episode, when the Night Elf said that she can’t kill Hope, and then Sylvanas proceeds to burn the World tree.

Or when Saurfang confronts Sylvanas at Orgrimmar gates, She said “All their hope dies with you” then he says: “You cannot kill hope” then she proceeds to blow him up.

Or its just a word that triggers Sylvanas badly?

It may mean nothing, but still.

2 Likes

I hope you’re joking.

Sorry if the questions seems dumb. but its genuine.

Just curious about it. The word seems be used heavily on those sentences, no need to be mean.

It’s just the writers crutch and way of uniting the optimistic ‘good guys’ while dividing them from the nihilistic ‘bad guys’.

There’s no magic or deity’s involved. Just bland writing.

4 Likes

This would be the best I can understand it.

Azeroth will be the titan of hope.

:pancakes:

1 Like

It’s not a deity in the lore. But it’s probably a deity to the marketing team. You can generally tell when a franchise has been invaded by writers with an overinflated sense of themselves who think that they’re writing the next hunger games or something - as they try and have their characters get us to care about and crystallize a sentiment, a phrase, or in this case a word as a theme in it of itself.

It’s kind of like those videos where you would have a bunch of celebrities sitting alone in rooms with white backgrounds - where once or twice in the PSA the writer cuts from actor to actor repeating the same word so that you’ll attach importance and significance to it.

3 Likes

Blizzard’s dialogue writing consists of very simple, obvious “Villain lines” and “Hero lines.”

Being anti-hope is a simple “Villain”-y thing to say. Being pro-hope is a simple “Hero”-y thing to say.

2 Likes

Just really bad dialogue and writing, sadly.

I can see why you would think this, but I think the implication that Hope is some kind of entity is reading a bit too much into the dialogue.

1 Like

I had hoped you saw my intention with that comment.

Cheap way to send a positive message.

I feel like Star Wars has been playing it up too much lately too.

It’s not a deity, but it’s a concept that Sylvanas has rejected from her worldview. She’s decided that hope is a false, foolish, fleeting thing, and rather than just believing that herself and letting everyone else go about their own beliefs, she’s going to instead try to show them that she’s right and everyone else who still keeps any sort of hope is a fool who needs to be taught a lesson. It’s not enough for her to embrace nihilism, everyone else must, too. Personally I think she’s been having small, persistent doubts about that worldview eat at her for awhile, but she’s not willing to consider them because that would cast doubt on everything she’s done, all the morals she’s cast aside, all the people she’s killed. No, she must be right, else she can’t accept the monster she’s become through her actions.

1 Like

She is explicitly placing her hope in the Jailor. A nihilist wouldn’t be working to bring about (what she sees as) a better world. Her entire current path is profoundly hopeful.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much Anduin’s point in that dialogue.

1 Like

This is true, but her point about hope in the existing world being foolish still stands. She’s only recently started to talk about the plan for the future with those not in on that plan, and really only with Anduin. I also don’t know that Sylvanas herself would recognize that what she feels in regards to the promise of a new system of life and death is hope, or that it could be described that way.

That’s what made it click for me. I must say, I love the little twist of sass that Anduin has at that moment, between the animation and Josh Keaton’s voice acting. It would have been easy, and possibly even in character, for Anduin to just be sympathetic and sad about who Sylvanas used to be, similar to Delaryn, but instead there’s this subtle bitterness and edge to his voice and mannerisms, almost mocking her. He’s realized he’s stumbled upon a raw point, a vulnerability, and he’s going to exploit it as best he can by rubbing salt in the wound. I realize I don’t have the most complete picture of Anduin’s character since I mostly play Horde and I haven’t finished playing through all the various Alliance quests in the game on my Alliance characters (working on it though!), and I certainly haven’t read every book that he’s in, but that one cinematic did more to shift how I view Anduin than all of BfA did.

1 Like

Yes he’s known as Chi-ji the Red Crane of Hope! Outside of Chi-Ji hope is just an idea and in Greek lore, hope, was the last evil contained in Pandora’s Box. For home leads to delusion and inaction for we hope others will do better, be better, or that the gods shall intervene in our favor. Hope is deceiving and yet hope is inspiring. Hope springs eternal and with it the promise of growth and (positive) change.

Sylvanas wants to kill hope, because like the Greeks she sees it as a weakness. A myth that we cling on to preserve the delusion we are all in. Hope leads to disappointment.

I mean, it IS in Diablo. So it’s entirely possible.

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Auriel

I never thought of “Hope” as an entity or sentient force with a will and purpose of its own, as far as Warcraft lore. It is an interesting notion. Even if it is not intended at all, it could always happen down the line.

A “Loa of Hope” or what have you. As if souls giving in to a destiny and forsaking hope across the cosmos depowers the Loa of Hope. Loa do need followers and faith to empower them. Maybe weakening hope across the cosmos weakens that Loa.

And then there is a possible allusion to the old Pandora’s Box tale. Where Hope (or Expectation, depending on the take) is the last thing in the box. Maybe Warcaft’s Hope is imprisoned and being depowered so that Destiny or Fate can have their say.

It is not something with a lot of current evidence in the lore. But it is interesting.

I don’t think she has hope in the jailer, I think she has just given in to him. There are others who she could ally with to make a positive Shadowlands change with but she joined the burn it all down guy because there is no hope.

From her point of view it seems nothing matters and the ends justify the means because nothing matters. Similar to the wheel of sorrow concept - it is only because of hope for something good do we suffer. If we just give up and let it all end then we finally find escape.

1 Like