Is FFXIV 5.0 A WoW Killer?

Nope

Iā€™ve got no idea if itā€™s surpassed WoW in subs or not, but Iā€™ve started playing it since being disappointed with 8.2, and thereā€™s a lot of stuff thatā€™s probably worth taking as inspiration.

At around level 50, thereā€™s a military operation. And they lay out the disposition of forces, allied strongholds, enemy strongholds, major defenses, and the various elements of a multi-pronged assault to isolate the main base by cutting off supply and reinforcements. And I felt like I got a better sense of a military campaign being planned and executed (and where the war stood) in about 5 minutes of symbols moving around a map than I have in the entire span of BfA.

1 Like

that FF14 had surpassed 1 million active subscribers.

Source?

That is not the reason. The reason is they took a lot from WoW that made WoW great. Gear currency, flying with no pathfinder time gate, Great crafting, added in player housing and roulette system etcā€¦ The only thing that is not done as well is the pvp system.

If you like endless dialougue then yes. I spend 6hours streaming FFXIV the other day and I gained 1 level cause I did a daily dungeon the rest of the time I spend clicking through meaningless texts written like someone put everything through google translate and used every thesaurus that sounded the most fancy.

Just hit ESCā€¦ like you do with the endless new cut scenes in Wow.

Blizz will be the true wow killer.

WoW cutscenes are good what are you talking about?

FFXIV has cutscenes they didnt even bother narating so you sit there clicking through the dialogue. And after that you have to pay tons of Gold going to other continents just to listen to more unnarated cutscenes.

FFXIV I like the gameplay but trying to follow the story is a snoozefest. Not to mention dungeons that have longer cutscenes then the actual dungeon was.

I could not get into FFXIV. Donā€™t like the aesthetics, doesnā€™t have good pvp. Those alone kind of ruin it for me.
So hey, even if FFXIV is a ā€œwow killerā€, Iā€™ll still be on WoW long after everyone else switches over to that game.

WoW has been around for FIFTEEN freaking years, if it dies, itā€™ll have surpassed any personā€™s expectations in the history of the universe. The fact that itā€™s the most subscribed to MMORPG in HISTORY and right now in the WORLD is crazy.

1 Like

The only thing that can kill WoW is WoW.

And theyā€™re doing a pretty good job with that.

There is only one game Iā€™ve played that can be a WoW-killer for me and yet I still come back to it. There is another game (older than WoW by a year) which keeps me occupied when WoW kills WoW for me.

FF is pretty, and has player housing.

But other than thatā€¦

Gameplay is slow
Questing is hellishly boring
No pvp
The zones feel repetitive

I tried it for a while, people were ok when you actually got someone to talk to you. But other than that WoW is still superior.

Itā€™s a shame SWTOR isnā€™t more popular, itā€™s still a good game, and they still release content.

No and it never will be.

No.

I love ff14 and didnt play the new expansion yet, but it doesnt retain people like wow does.

Ff14 is about the long amazing story told through cutscenes. Once you finish the main story a lot of the content is just stuff you queue for.

Its a very beautiful amazing game, but its bot very difficult and the combat gets numingly slow sometimes. Only classes i enjoy are warrior and ninja.

Thats your opinion, i think ffxiv js awful.

Not for me personally. I am a big FF fan but not really in a mmorpg setting. I have tried quite a few times to get into it and canā€™t make it past lvl 10. I just donā€™t enjoy the world or interface.

Just hit level 47 in FF14 and I have not been dazed off of my mount once. Itā€™s such a strange experience. Somehow, I am still thoroughly enjoying myself. Itā€™s almost like itā€™s a better game that doesnā€™t rely on obnoxious gimmicks.

2 Likes

In about the same vein as FFXIV: Heavensward was during WoD.

The gameā€™s endgame formula has been unchanging since they re-released it. Itā€™s okay, but not super great. WoW yo-yoā€™s up and down over the years while FFXIV stays at virtually the same level it always has been.

Feels great to play when WoW isnā€™t doing so hot, but not so fun when WoW is doing great. I play both, and i barely played FFXIV at all during legion, meanwhile during WoD and BFA iā€™m finding myself playing it more.

No, not really.

Itā€™s in the same boat as every other ā€˜wow killerā€™ that has ever existed and will exist in the future. WoW isnā€™t going anywhere and there isnā€™t an MMO out there that can kill it even if it wanted to.