Is FFXIV 5.0 A WoW Killer?

That’s right, you’re stuck in forum complaint zone.

I can tell if I’m enjoying it or not, but I won’t make baseless claims without evidence. AKA this thread.

“Is FF14 patch 5.0 a wow killer?”
“I dunno, I’ll have to wait to see what the investor reports say before I’m comfortable making such a bold claim”

Case and point. I didn’t enjoy Legion, but the trends set in the investor reports indicated an overall player base growth of roughly 10% give or take and consistently out performed Warlords of Draenor. So while I personally disliked the expansion and unsubbed after 7.3, I know that overall Legion was a comparative success, my own opinions are irrelevant.

Context is everything. If the OP is asking about the overall health of the game, then an overall analysis of the game’s health is warranted. That’s just good research practice. There’s enough rhetoric on this forums as it is.

1 Like

To be fair, the 2.X MSQ has a lot of going back and forth that’s exacerbated by the lack of an aetheryte by the Waking Sands. If the person isn’t already invested in the story, it’s definitely a slog up until the Crystal Braves story starts to reach its conclusion. It’s acknowledged as such by Yoshida, and they’ve been gradually trimming the fat.

That link is over a year old. Pretty sure estimates and amounts would have changed in 14 months.

I guess you didn’t notice it was updated just a couple of months ago.

1 Like

Even after factoring in the new-toy-glow effect, it does look like FFXIV’s update is a really good one. Check back in a couple of months.

And wow Classic is out in a month and a half. I’d say check back in 2-3 months, yea.

You know how you can tell if FF14 is a WoW killer? If it kills WoW. Until that time it’s ridiculous to be looking for and opining about potential WoW killers, as ridiculous people have been ridiculously doing without pause since 2004. Me, I generally enjoy the game, so I play the game. No research required.

If your definition of a wowkiller is getting the servers shut down, then I really don’t know what to tell you.

WoW ‘killed’ EverQuest, and that game is still running. RuneScape is still running. Hell, STOR is still going as is GW2. When most people say “WoW Killer” they are refering to when a game overtakes WoW because realistically the servers aren’t going to be going down for a long time.

So sorry to burst your bubble, but one person’s singular enjoyment or disdain with the game means nothing in the grand scale. To see that grand scale research must occur.

1 Like

So if some other game ever has more active subs than WoW, WoW is thereafter considered “killed”? Methinks that it’s not my definition of “killed” that departs from the standard.

WoW Killer is a buzzword. Come on, people have been throwing “X Killer” around since Halo: Combat Evolved.

It means overtaking and unseating a titan in the market place.

I’m confused, where’s the part where we’re supposed to care if that happens?

No clue. I mean, FF is not numerically on top as a business, but players sure seem to be enjoying themselves. Should they care, and only play the top grossing mmo?

That would be a weird concern to have in your decision matrix. I enjoy WoW. I dabble in FF. I enjoy my time in both - that’s all I need to know since there are no scandals surrounding either company.

1 Like

Except mine isn’t complaint. It’s a actual fact from observation that WoW isn’t up there anymore where ESO and FFXIV has taken the spotlight. WoW subs isn’t a happy one, but I know how you loyal fans are. :blush:

8.2 only brought back people for 1 week and that was it. You should know the reason why since something big came out the next week. :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe you missed the link above that was updated April of this year. You know what they say though, ignorance is bliss.

Yes, but on your end :laughing:. You’re the one going this hard trying to convince me what’s better than the competitor refusing to acknowledge their success where WoW is losing.

1 Like

There’s nothing to convince. Wow is doing fine just as FF is. Good for both of them.

Just lesser fine :laughing:

1 Like

Amazon is making a new LOTR mmo, hopefully that is good :slight_smile: