Is feral really as bad as people say?

Caved yesterday, reforged and switched back to balance. Topped the chart in 2 bgs, killed 35 allies in wpvp (azurite quest in stormsong valley) had a blast.
Feral’s dps is not good. But I want MY feral! Love the skins, lore and animations. Assrogue >>>> feral damage

ur dead 2 me

i’m new to feral but i’m VERY much enjoying the spec. i feel like i can do everything. i have ST damage, AoE, cleave, mobility, decent CC…

for whats it worth I felt like that when I hit 120, still feel like that at 1200io heres hopin it continues lol

Has the been the case since WOTLK. But yeah I agree even tho Feral is near the bottom that bottom really isn’t far from the top unless you’re playing among the best guilds/groups.

I main this here resto shaman, but I have rolled up a resto druid for M+, and I ended up with so much gear, I accidentally “fell into” making a feral set and giving it a try. We’re a bit healer-heavy in my guild, so occasionally, it would be nice if I could dps. So…I’m learning.

Okay, so here’s my point - I don’t know anything about anything, yet, with feral, but here’s what I know about specs that the community is down on:

As a resto shaman, I was told repeatedly by the community that I would never get into M+ and nobody wanted shaman in the groups/raids, and that I should just give up. That clearly wasn’t the case, and in 8.1, our raid heals began to dominate. Resto shaman not only dominates in raids, it also passes fairly well in M+ keys below bleeding edge MDI level content.

I said that to say this: Resto shaman is more complicated to play than some (all) of the other healer specs. It requires a more complete understanding of the toolkit and better use of the individual skills in rotation.

Feral druid seems to be the SAME THING. It’s considered lower because at bleeding edge, the math says it’s toward the bottom of the pack. For normal gameplay, however, feral performs just fine. The difference is that feral is more complicated to play well than rogues or fury warriors or ret paladins. It’s just more involved with more layers to learn to “do it right.”

It’s not FOTM, but it performs, and unless you’re trying to pug 20’s or join a bleeding edge mythic raiding guild, feral is fine.

Edited to add: Having typed all of that, there’s a reason I rolled up a resto druid and am prowling the druid forums today. Playing the “complicated” class isn’t always as fun as just playing the one that can do the content by rolling your face casually over the keys and winning. So there’s that.

3 Likes

Feral is fine but they are not rogue.

First, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. That said, resto shaman is no harder than resto druid. In fact, resto druid (in harder content) requires a better knowledge of the fights because you cannot quickly react to damage, requiring more set up to pump out heals.

Got under this boys skin! Look at him go! Like a champ!

:slight_smile:

Going to assume recognizing irony isn’t one of your strong points.

2 Likes

I love the tag team that have no ferals to post on. What? Didn’t make it past 280 ilvl lol… Easy to see your strong point (troll) :slight_smile:

Waste of time, but still funny! Gonna start calling you two Penn and Telller. Dumb and dumber seemed more fitting but I didn’t want to be rude.

Dude, don’t do that. We need this forum to go back to being a chill place to talk about things. Not gonna happen if we all snipe at each other.

if anything, calling people penn and teller is a complement, given they’re an immensely successful duo.

4 Likes

Do you have Drez blocked or something where you can’t see his posts? All you have to do is look up to see a snipe job. Snerf is right. I’ve settled on dumb and dumber. Everytime one of them posts I think to myself “Why you going to the airport? Flying somewhere?” or “Oh look, frost!” and laugh.

Calling someone dumb and/or dumber, while in the same post arguing about how your target dummy test was more valid than running a sim… yes, irony definitely isn’t one of your strong suits.

3 Likes

Typical myopic enterrrrrri post. Interesting how limited your arguments are. Try backing up 5 feet, taking it all in, and taking another stab at it.

I guess completely ignoring your astounding irony is one way to go…

1 Like

I’m just baffled that people are still saying Feral is the bottom or near the bottom of all dps overall. If you’re not satisfied with the spec, that’s okay. But to say Feral is a bottom dps when it is respectively a middle pack dps and with good RNG can top the meters. If I get really good RNG, I can have 135-140k FBs back to back to back and it really pushes me up to the top when that happens.

Feral is doing pretty damn good right now and it won’t be long before they’re hitting the top like in Legion. Not happy? Don’t play one. Don’t ruin the experience for those who are still playing by bringing down the spec.

1 Like

The stigma has hung around from bfa’s launch. Unless feral suddenly jumps to “very good,” nobody is going to notice that they’ve long since landed in “passable.” DPS isn’t feral’s real problem anymore for the most part, it’s just that other outliers performing better are going to make them always edged out if there’s competition, especially if these outliers are ranged(see: balance, elemental). Having something truly unique would help the spec a lot. Stampeding Roar is all there really is, and it is fairly limited in use in most situations. Something like Leader of the Pack returning would be spectacular.

1 Like

I just feel like players like you will never be satisfied, even if Feral was the best dps in the game. You’re just continuing the cycle of negativity.

Leader of the Pack wouldn’t be ‘truly unique’, it would be like every other worthless buff ability. A passive that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I would rather have more active things like an AoE stun or even a roar that increases party/raid wide damage for 15-20 seconds or something. Anything would be more interesting than another passive spec ability.

1 Like