Is feral really as bad as people say?

man i really want to be a druid but i dont care much for healing or ranged dps ive always been a melee main or tank main but i know for a fact bear tank is the worst tank and everyone has been telling me feral is trash but is it really as bad as everyone says?

1 Like

Probably not but depends on the content. If you are doing WPvP for instance, feral can be king

3 Likes

Nah. We’re middle of the pack in raids.
For m+ we’re fine dps wise, but don’t have some of the utility that balance brings (trees, beam). This will really only matter if you’re going for very high keys though.
Feral has a stigma for some reason.

IMO feral in pve is good at training down 1 target. Aoe is fairly weak compared to other classes even with primal wrath. Lacks utility compared to other melee. Has roots typhoon(talent) ferocious roar(movement for party). Other melee have aoe stuns, passive slows, raid/party buffs. It’s fun for me but it depends on what content you want to do but if your pushing anything most people will want you to boomie or heal. I still do my 10-12 m+ for the week with heroic raid and first boss of mythic just to keep him up for the one tier they are good this expac… hopefully edit we do have mediocre off healing have soothe and remov corruption as well

Feral fine in raid/pvp. Mythic + in general is pretty poorly balanced and doesn’t favor feral (or many other specs for that matter). I would argue it doesn’t matter what level m+ you’re doing. If you looking to fill a melee spot or two then rogue/dh is from a utility perspective too valuable to pass up in favor of other melee. “Class fantasy/identity” means this will always be a thing. In other words, if you want to play mythic+ long term be willing to switch class/spec.

1 Like

It’s not all that bad. We’re just trying to break the bad stigma because of the awful bfa launch. Still a very uforgiving spec. Still love it

Meow :cat:

7 Likes

It’s worse.

1 Like

Were middle of the pack I would say the big problem is utility we have next to nothing unique that makes you want to bring a feral. Stampeding roar is our big unique thing which is very very minor. Pretty much never a needed ability if ever. We have the enrage dispel which is also a very minor niche ability battle rez is on a lot of classes. So that leaves us with nothing balance has innervate and treants which are very helpful to groups where as our abilities are pretty much just self use abilities.

I would like if they would give feral the warrior battle shout buff. Or gave feral leader of the pack back but they don’t want to do that for some reason. Lotp would be better then were not taking anything from wars though we constantly don’t have the war buff in our raid. Which is funny the fact that brez was so limited is why a bunch of classes now have it and then they bring in buffs that are limited to one class…

It’s a fun class. But it’s dps output is extremely unforgiving for pve situations.

It depends A lot on procs; and with a poorly timed proc at a time when you have to do a boss mechanic= huge dps loss. Your procs usually expire just in time to getting half the rotation started, and the internal cooldown for some can be unpredictable.

Setting up your Tiger’s Fury with Blood Talons regrowth talented Rip along with trinket/azerite/potions buffs during A heroism/bloodlust phase is a painful loss to your dps if you suddenly get targeted by a boss mechanic just before finishing your final moves.

So for best results, weigh your stats to increase your chances and quicken your combo point building. Critical Strike is your current best friend in this case.

I still really like it, mained feral since a few months after release, so I’m pretty biased. What I’ve noticed is that feral seems to scale up better with gear than any other class. We start weak but by the middle or end of an expansion, we’re apex predators, everyone cries, we get nerfed and the cycle continues.

There’s definitely a stigma attached and it’s a class with a low floor and a high ceiling. A bad feral is really bad but a good feral is terrifying.

2 Likes

What he said…

Feral is doing perfectly fine. Most just gave up before they found the secret sauce. 3x wild flesh rending and 3x Jungle fury, with primal wrath. The only talent you have to change between content is predator for saber tooth. It absolutely rocks. You won’t play second to anyone.

Besides, everything is so close now. If you are bottom of the charts, you aren’t working hard enough. Put your time in on the target dummies and grind more gear. You can top your guild’s meters by simply working harder than the next guy to get BIS traits or an ilvl advantage.

I’ve been running exactly that WFx3 and recently got JFx3 as well and I’m having a blast with it. Your one of the only high lvl ferals ive seen that doesn’t blindly use BT (I hate that talent). Im almost always top damage in the M+ i run with it as well, i may not burst quite as high as Jhonny DH over there, but its a highly sustainable aoe build , and works just fine for ST as well.

Honestly, it’s not that bad. If you don’t have a dedicated guild/team though, it’s not worth playing. PUGs will never accept you & you’ll have a miserable time.

But, it’s competitive dps and great for Single Target encounters. Doesn’t really compete with Boomy on AoE spread/cleave type fights so it’s good to gear up both if you want to secure a spot in your raid, pvp or M+ team.

I run with a Feral sometimes. He actually pretty good numbers. He is usually the top of Total DPS at the end of our M+. But we mainly just do 10-15 kesy for the week. If thats what youre doing, you should be fine but like others have said, you will prob only find groups with guild/friends.

Feral isn’t bad, there’s just no reason to play it because Balance is just better at everything.

7 Likes

Sadly, this pretty much says it all.

1 Like

One of my buddies plays every tank. They are all over 400 Ilvl. On Legion he played guardian Main. This expansion he’s Monk Main. It’s noticably worse when he’s in his guardian in M+. Prot and BDK standing out ahead. I would but the pally and monk third, with DH 4th, and guardian last.

It’s a pvp talent now isn’t it?

1 Like

It is a pvp talent, but I think everyone can agree that it would be nice to have it baseline so we can bring some utility to raids and mythic+

1 Like

The same is true for all of the pvp talents for all of the classes. It’s a real shame that these are completely relegated to pvp in general; Give me Den Mother in PvE, or lightning lasso, or instant radiance, or any number of other things!