Is demo dead?

I recently realized I have not seen a single demo warlock since I started Shadowlands

Where did you all go? I miss my imp generators

8 Likes

They are still around. There are two warlocks in my guild that love playing Demo.

I haven’t started leveling mine yet, but that’s my preferred spec as well.

I see them quite frequently, and I see a lot of Demo warlocks pushing M+ keys more than I do Aff.

I’m demo. See a few others wandering around the necro sanctum

I play demo for torghast. Blasted a level 8 skids kd at 151 ilvl lol

Effectively yes. It’s not in horrible shape but it’s mired in mediocrity at the moment with a comparatively high skill floor(it’d not really hard to play, just harder than say balance or hunter or whatever) for little payout and that payout only exists in PvE.

So yes it is effectively dead even though it’s not near as bad as people wanna think.
It just serves no actual purpose and asks more of the player than a lot of specs without distinct reward. And so nobody plays it and you won’t see many.

1 Like

Demos main issue is long casts and it needs to hard cast to do damage.

Unlike affliction which outside of two dots it can refresh dots while moving for mechanics.

1 Like

That is one major issue, yes.
I’d argue that the significant required ramp up that exists in st and aoe rotations and that most st dps is burst tied to our major summons that is kicked off 1.5m cooldown by a powerful 2min cd this desyncing all the other cooldowns are equally, if not more important factors.

Demo is built very recursive. It cycles into itself so small but deep seated problems like this spiral outward in much the same way we scale well off of haste because it makes our cycles tighter and faster.

Demo is, in fact, very dead and has been for some time. The spec has very deep seated mechanical problems that blizz is too cheap to fix. The spec is stuck in its context from like 5 xpacs ago and completely goes against the grain of the high mobility, must go fast playstyle.

Demi takes a very long time to ramp up and that is just one reason why it’s dead.

4 Likes

Is it sad one of the only reason I like demo more than the other specs is because 1 shadow bolt = 1 soul shard… not rng like afflic and 0.1 (or w/e) for destro?

4 Likes

No. It’s part of demos thing. We’re don’t deal with shard drought because we are in nearly total control of our shards unlike the other 2. It makes demo pretty stable once you can make it take off.

2 Likes

We busy dealing with unintentional spec mechanics for the 50th time atm.

3 Likes

That made me laugh more than it should have

We’re out there!

1 Like

for pvp it is pve its alright

Demo main here. I’ve had problems getting into high mythic group since I’m not affliction. There are obvious issues with the spec, but its very satisfying pulling top dmg over balance and hunters knowing that my class is a bit more difficult and undertuned.

3 Likes

I see tons in dungeons and I see a lot of destro too

We exist. I got 2 into mythic (with 3rd to 11%) before we slowed down. Demo isnt “bad”, its just not affliction.
And the constant shielding/phases of bosses dont make demo happy.

2 Likes

i kinda like being the hipster spec honestly. i know there are a lot of complaints about how it isnt easy to just pick up and play well like affliction, but thats what makes it niche, thats why i play it tbh.

but yeah, lol, when a boss decides to go immune and tell me his life story during my tyrant uptime, it kinda breaks my heart

5 Likes

IH made it Clear that demo is not a spec in the game that they want go play something else.

4 Likes