Is Demo bad?

So, I really want to get back into playing my lock, I’ve been casually playing destro, and I absolutely hate it. My favorite spec is Demo. Is Demo horrendous in pvp/pve? All I see are destro locks. It’s a little discouraging because the play style and the idea of summoning armies of demons is the coolest thing to me, standing still and casting chaos bolt weaving in incinerates is not fun for me. I just want to know if I should spend the time to really gear my lock or if I’ll be sadly disappointed by Demos performance.

I think it maybe takes more skill or know how to make demo as competitive as destro right now. But I wouldn’t say it’s “bad” I’ve seen some demo locks really unleash some big burst!

If I was more experienced I would probably play demo as it’s also the coolest warlock spec in my eyes.

Good luck!

1 Like

Demo isnt bad by any means, im currently running it in mythic. Its not bad, but other specs are just broken good at the moment. Demo only feels good to play when you have higher amounts of haste, not sure why they think such long cast times is fun.

1 Like

I originally wanted to play demo as i wanted something that mimicked my glory days of playing necro in D2 and WD/necro in D3 but it just completely sucked during the earlier levels.

Played destro/affli on and off for the longest time and recently tried out demo as i recently got some azerite gear with some of the ‘best-of-the-best’ demo traits on it. Maybe it’s because i just miss it or something or this is really what i want but i’m getting good dps (maybe not as ‘immediate’ as destro’s dps but it’s good dps nonetheless) on it so far and i’m really enjoying the spec itself. Just make sure you hotkey your soul strike, demonic strength and demonbolt - i noticed that really made a difference in making the spec more effective, much more than i first thought. Also having a macro that initiates pet attack with the cast of your main attack spells helped a lot as well.

I say just ignore what the internet is saying about a certain class being ‘bad’. What matters is you enjoy your character and you’re not being a hindrance to others in dungeons/raids/etc.

no, it just gets outshined by destro but it isnt bad by any means

I have been a main spec demo for a while now the spec does suffer from long cast times but if you have about 20-30% haste it does become a lot smoother as far as the start up of combat is concerned.

The main thing I like about it is if you enjoy having an army with you all the time I would strongly suggest putting some focus in haste/mastery gear. This way your demons will hit a good amount harder without having to play the sac build which basically turns your imps into a secondary resource rather that a good damage source. One thing I can say is that with Demo our pve does take some ramp but once we ramp we do consistent dps. Main reason most people have been focusing on Destro is because the speed they can get Chaos bolts out right now with all the major haste buffs.

When it comes to PVP Talent choices do become a much bigger thing but we can do decent right now against certain comps in 2’s and 3’s but mostly we are a big focus target in arena and if you enjoy battlegrounds you shouldnt have that much of an issue as you will be a little less likely to be focus targeted.

1 Like