Is Blizzard intentionally inflating token prices?

Not forcing, but I literally will start farming gold ingame and feel like an idiot cause in my head I’m like “I can go pick up at work for an hour and buy 20x the amount of gold i’ll make farming ingame.”

Makes me not even wanna farm gold the proper way cause it’s a bad time investment when going against WoW token.

Now if you’re just pumping a credit card for WoW tokens and not picking up hours at work to pay for it then that’s a diff story lol.

1 Like

You can maximize your mission table gains if you put all the alts you don’t really care about playing in Night Fae because they have the strongest troops by far and can cheese most missions

If you can afford to do it go for it.

But yeah we’ve had paid conveniences for a long time. Switching factions rather than leveling up a new toon and collecting all your stuff that is the same concept.

Paid covenience.

It’s just gold can be used for other things. I wouldn’t say blizzard is endorsing it but they sure are reaping the benefits of it.

1 Like

I’d imagine Blizzard has, somehow, calculated a base price.
And everything after that is supply:demand type of thing.

The more tokens are sold via AH, the higher the price is.
The more tokens are bought via Store, the lower the price is.

Gotta be some kind of formula to keep it in check.

Yes because yacht.

1 Like

I get it, just kinda sucks.

Reminds me of when I played Minecraft as a kid lol, if I was given creative mode the game really felt pointless. No point is spending time actually farming materials, food, etc if I can just spawn everything at will.

Only thing I do like about WoW token is it gives people with legitimate IRL disabilities a way to play the game without worrying about the sub fee, since they’re stuck at home anyways.

If it wasn’t for WoW tokens making PvP pay to win with the current gearing system I wouldn’t care at all tbh.

Why not just set a static price and be done with it? Why go through the trouble of not only perpetuating a lie that it is variable but also having to come up with clever ways to influence the price in a non obvious manner (releasing a mount)?

It’s fun because there’s no way to prove it either way :laughing: Even if you were to suggest seeing the actual code behind the token price it could be argued that they swapped the code before someone looked. And I’m under no illusion that I’ll be changing anyone’s mind with anything I say here but it’s nice to chat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can anyone coherently explain how the increase of gold per token benefits blizzard without the alex jones conspiracies?

i thought they said clearly that they control the price. where did the idea that it’s player-controlled come from?

Only blizzard can explain the fluctuations and cost.

I have noticed that when there are less players in the game token prices go up. to me should be the opposite of supply and demand.

1 Like

Higher gold value = more people buying tokens for gold $$$$$

Let’s say Blizz booped the dial up to 1m gold, how long do you think the tokens would stay at 1m? I’m willing to bet they’d drop by 200k in under 30 minutes from people taking out personal loans at their bank to buy tokens :rofl:

Except the real life money price doesn’t change.

I do think that the price is directly influenced by how many tokens are in circulation in ah, unused. But I have no way of knowing

The thinking is that tokens being worth more gold will lure in more people to buy them. What if something happened and tokens were gold cap? Do you think that people who normally say no to tokens might go :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

This was a really good satire post. xD

1 Like

If Blizzard can manipulate the ah tokens to maximize profit I 100% believe they will do it, instead of letting the players control it.

where did they ever say they intended to let players control it?

everyone claims us the players dictate the token cost from our buying and selling, I do not believe it myself.

They definitely “intentionally inflate token prices” in the sense that they purposely create new cosmetic stuff in the shop that people want to buy. Create new cat mount, people buy it with gold, token price goes up.

That really isn’t all that sinister or anything, falls into pretty standard business tactics

Well if by “control” you mean supply and demand then :point_down:

Update: The WoW Token will be going live in the Americas region (North America, Latin America, Australia, and New Zealand) on April 7 when maintenance concludes, at approximately 10 a.m. PDT. The WoW Token will be available for $20 USD/$25 AUD from the in-game Shop, and will be set at a starting price of 30,000 gold in the Auction House across the Americas region. From that point forward, the gold price will automatically fluctuate based on player supply and demand.

3 Likes

sure, there’s an algorithm that changes the price based on supply and demand. that’s not remotely the same thing as “players control the price” which makes it sound like people get to place their own bids