Is Arthas the Terragrue?

I mean once he had shown Sylvanas Arthas as a scared child in The Maw the Jailer would want to make the fallen into something more useful for his long term plans. A relentless, unstoppable killing machine seems like an excellent use for such a powerful soul. If that’s the case I don’t think there’d be anything left of his mind and a reveal during a mission there with Jaina, Calia and Uther followed up by his sister, mentor and lover giving him an eternal mercy kill would be memorable.

2 Likes

Probably not. With that line of thought, you could easily point at literally any creature in the Maw and theorize that it’s Arthas.

3 Likes

If Torgrast is the super-max prison within the super-max prison of the Maw, it’s safe to assume the murder-warden isn’t a new thing. I doubt the terragrue is gonna be a dead raid boss, or likely anyone we know (unless we’ve been told it is someone we know, in which case lame).

2 Likes

I don’t know how powerful his soul was. Is it said anywhere if Arthas had a particularly powerful or note worthy soul? Does the Menethil line have some magical or enchanted blood? Did the Helm/Sword boost his soul? Or was he just a regular mortal soul?

The Dreadlords seem to have a fate for him planned out. But I think that had more to do with his station in society and position in the leadership, than an innate aspect of his soul they had tracked.

When he is defeated, Devos picks him up and dumps him into the maw, without going to the Arbiter. So we can only assume what the Arbiter would have done with him. What we do know is that Sylvanas sees his soul in the Maw as a whimpering child - but it could have been a trick from the Jailor to toy with her emotions and get her to work for him.

If we do encounter Arthas, it may be more interesting to strip him of any note, and perhaps have him be a cowering shamble of a shade who used the chaos to hide behind a rock. And we just sort of stumble into him.

I imagine when (if) we see Arthas again, they’ll do what they’ve been doing for years; rehashing old stories. The only question is, what one?

Would they actually retell his original one, but this time with a redemption at some point?

Would they have him live out Sylvanas’ story? Starts off as her mind-controlled puppet, breaks free and devotes himself to trying to avenge himself on her at any cost? There might be a certain poetic touch to that since in BFA she was basically living out Arthas’ story, complete with the near genocide of an elven race.

1 Like

I just thought as big a life as Arthas lived he’d have a lot of anima and those are the souls the Jailer makes soldiers out off and those with little or none (i.e. those who are condemned from Revendreath) are used as fuel or devoured by Zovaal’s more beastly servants. Souls start out the same and it’s what you do with it in life that determines how much Anima it has.

Ok, but why would that make him the Terragrue more than any other big monster in the Maw?

Just thought that as a being of Torghast and we’d still have to rescue Anduin in an upcoming patch that would be the most memorable