It appears as if people’s fear that Activision calls all the shots is more true than anyone would’ve dared hope.
Blizzard employees have reached out to Bellular to explain the situation:
A foreword in case you don’t know who Bellular is: This is not just some random youtuber. This is someone with a known reputation for having inside contacts at Blizzard or at the very least who is has close friendships with some of the WoW developers as shows from their interactions at Blizzcon. He has a long history of reliable journalism when it comes to Blizzard news.
Blizzard employees contacted him to state the following:
- 8.3.5 and possibly other BFA content got axed because Activision told them to pack it up and start developing Shadowlands
- Activision was behind the decision to have Blizzard lay off 800 employees last year
- This loss of employees caused 8.3 to deliver with tons of bugs and much less content than we’re used to from a patch -despite- receiving 1-2 extra months development time
- Shadowlands has less features than previous expansion because of WoW’s dev team lack of resources
- WoW team is heavily understaffed, lacking resources, having to pull away from development time just to do extra bug fixing and quality assurance. Morale is super low.
- Activision calls the shots on what content gets developed in WoW or not
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzbP3P6mP0Y
This pisses me off tbh. Just another company getting ruined by corporate money-grubbing culture.
PS: I’m actually fairly upset at this news. I trust Bellular as a reliable source who would not just make up having Blizzard employees reach out to him. If you have evidence to the contrary, please feel free to share it as I find the truth and being honest about this very important. I don’t want anyone to be deceived or misinformed.
Post-Thread update by Bellular:
Start of Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbCQndqRLY
Bellular confirms the findings stated in the OP :
- He confirms having internal sources, who told him about these things including knowing about the lay-offs at Blizzard long before they happened
- He tried to be “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” about it, but now wishes to clarify he is protecting his anonymous sources
- 8.3.5 being cancelled is a FACT , as that is obvious from plenty of content that has been datamined.
- The WoW development team has their hands strapped by the higher-ups from Activision-Blizzard
- Whether you believe him or not, that is up to you, but he has his reliable sources
- “Accept reality and deal with it”. He has his principles, he might make videos with spicy titles, but his main priority is the truth and factual reporting
Meanwhile, Preach is also coming out and confirming that his own Blizzard sources are acknowledging what was stated in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROuydZZ708
Furthermore, he’s reporting being “very afraid for the state of Shadowlands” - calling it: “BfA 2.0”, worried that Shadowlands might keep adhering to a lot of design philosophies of BfA, because there isn’t enough time foreseen for the developers to change up the game or systems much with a forced 2020 release.