Interface->Names->NPC Names reset & won't save changes

Only started happening today, none of my addons updated or anything. But I’ve been playing with all player/npc names turned off and today the NPC Names reverted to All NPCs. I can change it back to None but loging out and back in doesn’t save the change. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: I did change another setting, area loot and that change saved so I know it’s not something protecting the config file from changes.

Just to be sure, have you tried running the client as admin, Merilwen? This might be better suited for tech support, but I’d give that a try.

Oops, didn’t realize I posted in CS and not TS, guess I shouldn’t post quickly in the middle of a raid :stuck_out_tongue:

Just tried an admin elevated client and it didn’t help. In the morning I’ll run my backup script and clear the WTF folder and see what happens.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m having the exactly same problem, no matter what I do, don’t sove it. Already removed all addons, deleted WTF and Cache nothing fixed it. Very annoying and I can only deduce that is a new bug.

Just to be thorough, you missed one of the 3 folders to delete.

Instructions for a Full UI reset

2 Likes

Ok just ran my backup script and then removed the WTF folder, Addons, and deleted everything in the Cache folder as well. Started the client as usual (via battle.net launcher and not elevated to admin), loaded into the game and set Interface->Names->NPC Names from All to None. This time the setting did save, a re-log and quit/restart of the client the same way both did not revert the setting back to All.

So it looks like something got corrupted and I’ll start copying the backup over but will redo my config.wtf file from scratch and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: It’s definitely an AddOn doing this, after copying my backup back over minus config.wtf the problem is back, and when I just disable all AddOns it goes away. Have to track down which one it is…

2nd Edit: It’s ElvUI and they have their own post about it here:

https://www.tukui.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6035

5 Likes

Glad I came across this, as I posted a similar topic about this same issue as I hadn’t seen yours yet. I also noticed that after a recent ElvUI update is when the NPC name issues started happening. Thanks for this!