Incompatible realms

Thanks. I couldn’t figure out where to find that info online. So that confirms my suspicion that it’s a client update fail. It’s just really frustrating that I can’t force it to update the client even when I know that’s the issue.

Now I need to figure out how to resolve the issue that I still can’t reinstall the battle.net agent, so that I can get back to trying to solve the issue I had in the first place…

_______

EDIT: I’m IN!

Ok, I’ve solved the battle.net update issue. This was ultimately what I did, in case anyone else finds this helpful in future. I’m not sure what steps were actually necessary, but all of these together worked.

Note: I spent about three hours trying all the other stuff I could find about how to fix this surprisingly not-uncommon issue. I tried WMI resets, DNS checks, hosts file checks, etc., and finally ended here:

  1. Temporarily disable antivirus protection (I use Kaspersky, paused protection for install).

  2. Press Win + R → type %temp% → delete everything inside (skip files in use).

  3. Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp → delete everything inside (skip files in use).

  4. Move the battle.net installer out of the Downloads folder into a new folder like: C:\BattleNetInstaller\

  5. Right-click Battle.net-Setup.exe → Run as Administrator.

After that, the installer finally went past 45% and completed normally. After logging in it finally found an update, got me to the correct current (12.0.1.65899), and I was able to log in.

Heart Attack Prevention: After reinstalling battle.net, make sure you check the Game Version & Account dropdown above the Play button. Don’t log in to WoW1 (US) Starter Edition, save your heart some stress and make sure you log in to the correct retail version.