Inappropriate Names

I know, right-click name portrait and report them. But some names need removed asap. You have my reports. Otherwise, I would usually don’t bother.

These forums won’t fast-track your reports. If you reported the names, they will be reviewed.

8 Likes

I would avoid trolling this highly moderated forum there are many inapropriate names that people think are cute and innocent when they clearly arent and dont care thats why theres a report feature.

5 Likes

Feel free to ignore if the question doesn’t interest you.

Why do you believe they need to be removed asap? What harm are these names causing in the time it usually takes them to be removed that wouldn’t be caused if they were removed faster?

I agree that some names are wildly inappropriate but I fail to see what harm is being done by inappropriate names in the first place. They’re distasteful and unpleasant of course, but I don’t think that’s sufficient cause to imply that the current system isn’t sufficient.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Names are removed because they are against Blizzard’s ToU. It doesn’t matter if you feel they are harmless in your eyes. Blizzard’s house, Blizzard’s rules.

If Blizzard felt the name “Ravenhawk” was deemed inappropriate, it will be changed in due time, but they are reactive when it comes to name reporting.

7 Likes

Blizzard has stated that all reported names get put into a queue to be reviewed. The more reports against a name, the higher it moves forward in the queue but the entire queue will get reviewed eventually.

If the name is as egregious as you state, others will report it resulting in it being reviewed sooner rather than later.

6 Likes

Thank you for using the in-game reporting tools to flag names that you feel are inappropriate for the game. As Trehtik noted, we don’t accept reports or expedite them from the forums. So, make sure when you see a name in-game that you feel is over the line that you always report it. Encourage your friends/guildmates to use these systems too. Thanks!

11 Likes

i report people daily on moonguard US for various reasons most of them being phrases or references to various things, if theres such thing as RP naming policy for RP servers why is it not enforced? reporting people over an over an nothing being done shows blizz does not care anymore.

It is.

Or, the players are simply renaming back to the bad name or variant of.

If they’re reported multiple times and keep renaming back, they will eventually face harsher penalties and (if I recall) getting a permanent name assigned from Blizzard.

6 Likes

its not ive reported several more than once i see on the regular for years have their names been changed or actioned nope. even have some friended just to see if something would happen and nothing does. even though i dont interact with them at all.

It’s possible that the name isn’t blatantly offensive. If it has an obscure inappropriate meaning, then GM’s may not take action.

It’s also possible they’ve been actioned and chose the same name repeatedly. Unless you’re online 24/7, you wouldn’t know if they have received a short suspension or any other account action, and even if they haven’t logged on for several hours or days, there could be other reasons why.

If you’ve reported the same players/names over and over for years and nothing appears be happening, there’s only a very small number of reasons why.

1 Like

regardless if blizz parked a gm in goldshire on moonguard for say even only a span of 20 minutes or so theyd have their hands full with people doing things they shouldnt be, but do they do such? no they wont police it and rely on reports from triggered people instead.

Actually, they tried having a GM monitor a realm some time ago, and it failed. You make note of Goldshire on Moonguard, but if people know a GM is there monitoring, either people will flood the area and make it impossible for the GM to keep up, or they’ll abandon it and move somewhere else. Then what? Have the GM move on to the new location, for the same thing to happen again and again?

It’s not really financially feasible to do it long term either. There are hundreds of realms, each with multiple chat channels. In a 24 hour day, there would be three 8-hour shifts that would need to be covered, plus additional costs to cover extra employees like sick days, benefits, office space and equipment… it’s not as easy as people think, otherwise it would’ve been done by now.

Yes, they rely on players to report bad behaviour, and when reports are received, they’re investigated and action is taken - where it’s warranted.

6 Likes

They did that. Exactly in the location you are referencing. Players flooded the area. Players made characters with inappropriate names and made inappropriate comments, trying to see how far they could go before the GM took action on them. They reported what happened to them and when on outside venues (like Vent and Reddit). Regular players stopped reporting violations because they felt that Blizzard would find them all. The result was NOT the reduction in violations, but an increase.

Right-click and report the names. Include in the box that you are on a role-playing server. Role-playing servers have more restrictions on naming.

Name reports come from over 200 realm on the NA license. They are handled in the order they are received.

The only times you might see an instantaneous response is if someone else had reported the name and action was taken just after you reported it. Or the player had just been actioned to change their name, chose another inappropriate name, and was reported again while the original report was still up (I was in a raid group once with someone this happened to).

8 Likes

I’ve seen this happen as well, in Barrens when Classic first launched. Someone with an inappropriate name was spamming Barrens chat, was reported and a few moments later said he’d just been kicked off and forced to do a name change; the name was still inappropriate, so he was reported again, kicked off again, and came back to complain… again. It happened maybe 3 times in a row before Barrens chat was silent again. (I’d had him added to friends list, so I could see he was repeatedly going offline.)

4 Likes

They tried that once. What happened is that players stopped reporting actionable offenses because they assumed the GM’s would see everything and take care of all of it.

6 Likes

I suppose the next question is: what are these things you think they shouldn’t be doing?

Are you talking about inappropriate names? Then right-click and report them. You can do a quick search in this forum to see the number of people mad that their names got changed, and even suspended for continuing. It isn’t an instant bolt of lightning from the sky, so just report and move on with your day.

Are you talking about the age-old debate about what truly happens in this particular location? That’s not really up to you. Blizzard is well aware of what happens there, and while you may not approve, roleplaying in that manner is still roleplaying. So long as they are not doing so in public channels, or even advertising for such things, then let them be. A scantily-clad female character using the /dance emote on a table is certainly alluding to specific acts, but they are not really breaking any rules by using the provided emotes.

Interesting that you use the verb “police” here. In the real world, yes, there are patrolling cops. But the vast majority of crimes are reported to police for them to investigate. There’s really a very small difference between how police operate, and how Blizzard operates. You see a rule violation (a “crime”) and you report it to Blizzard (the “police”).

As for “triggered”, let’s not go there. Everyone is free to report what they feel is a violation, for whatever reason they want. Most are not “triggered”. They report what they see, and move on with their gaming.

6 Likes

It’s also worth a mention that I’m pretty sure that the “Not Appropriate for a RP Realm” filter isn’t as broad as people tend to think that it is. I believe that Classic servers go by older, stricter rules, but retail servers I think are a bit more lenient these days.

Which would make sense, since 95% of roleplayers use addons that change a character’s name to something else anyway, so their OOC name might be “Lightdude” but their TRP3 displays it as “Lord Wellington Charlemagne the Third” on hover-over and in the game’s chat interface.

3 Likes

As far as I know, the role-playing naming rules have not changed. Names may not be changed if the GM handling the report is not aware that the name is on a role-playing realm. GMs handle tickets from all Blizzard games, not just WoW. Don’t rely on them knowing you are reporting a name on a role-playing realm.

1 Like

Side note: They tried it. It didn’t work. Like AT ALL. The amount of people TRYING to see how far they could push the limits was of the charts. And that was just with chat monitoring. You could not even see them.

4 Likes