In Charge of Lore

Tom Chilton apparently moved to another project in Blizzard that is top secret…

Ion deciding to villainize Sylvanas by having her be behind the burning of Teldrassil pretty much seems to be an attempt to get rid of the Horde’s more villainous elements.

The Horde no longer has Sylvanas nor Gallywix. The Alliance on the other hand is getting darker(Anduin is using mysterious Dark Magic as well as begun using an ends justifies the means point of view and Jaina is being called out on her self righteous hypocrisy).

Jaina is well known for hypocrisy as despite claiming Theramore doing nothing to draw Garrosh’s attack the city was behind Northwatch(a Theramore encampment)'s attacks on the Barrens.

Furthermore Jaina claimed the Blood Elves defied Kul Tiras’s sacred neutrality by using Dalaran’s portal network to grab the Divine Bell from Teldrassil even though she defied said sacred neutrality first by bringing the Divine Bell to Teldrassil in the first place.

The ruthless purge of Dalaran was treated by Anduin as reason enough to point out that Jaina does not have the moral high ground in her argument with him.

It seems Ion grew weary of the Horde continuously having villainous elements in it’s ranks and got rid of them while setting up Jaina and Anduin as the Alliance counterparts to Garrosh(both Garrosh and Jaina are self righteous and hypocritical) and Sylvanas(both Sylvanas and Anduin are pragmatic and dictatorial).

Ion most certainly isn’t getting rid of the vengeful elements(Genn, Tyrande and Talanji) in each Faction judging from the evidence! He is getting rid of the tyrants including the self righteous hypocrites!

2 Likes

Since Ion’s focused on making the game functional and profitable, I don’t think he’d step in to correct Danuser unless he caught wind of something really really weird. Effective delegation of the narrative design would mean that Ion’s in a position where he doesn’t have to intervene very often, and is mostly approving or sending things back for adjustment.

While Ion might have the final say, if Danuser was someone who needed frequent micro-managing, he’d likely have been replaced with someone who required less oversight.

Source for this? Not saying it didn’t happen, but this is the first I’ve heard of a specific person being responsible for the decision, and I’d like to know how we know.

2 Likes

Well, George Krstic is the Director of Story of Blizzard Entertainment as a whole. He’d the guy that replaced Chris Metzen, if I recall right.

He’s not very high profile. Evident by the fact I don’t think anyone mentioned him so far in the thread. He doesn’t seem to get directly involved in writing the story of these games, though.

2 Likes

The Game Team is not the Story Team. Metzen did not know what would happen with Teldrassil when he left as the last thing he a Story Dev worked on was the Cinematic where Anduin resurrected everyone.

The Game Team makes the Plot while the Story/Lore Team goes and Dramatizes the Plot.

Ion is the Game Director so he is pretty much the guy in charge of the Game Team and thus the Plot.

1 Like

So far Christie Golden, Steve Danuser, and other people. I forget their names.