Improved auras (idea #2)

Currently, devotion aura is the only good utility for m+ and raids. But with the new tree coming in dragonflight, why not give an upgrade or give an aura that is very special for that spec?

When I go to a raid or a closed dungeon as tank and there is another paladin using the aura of devotion it feels kind of useless to have it active. I know it has happened to more than one of you.

If we will have new things for dragonflight, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to introduce them to the talent tree or make it a passive by having those talent points active.

Devotion aura (Prot): 5% It may seem little or insignificant, but being at a higher level is quite noticeable in combat logs, and even more so when facing enemies over lv 70.

Wisdom aura (Holy): 1% resource generation every 5 seconds (mana, energy, rage, dementia, runic power, astral power, fury, maelstrom and focus). Considering that the fights in m+ are constant.

Sanctity Aura (Ret): 5% of holy damage (Inspired by Vengeful shock conduit). The idea of this is to have the combo of classes or spec. It would be kind of fun when you have a holy/disc priest in your group.

2 Likes

Hopefully, with Dragonflight Blizzard will take a look at our auras and give us useful ones.

However, if they are too good then we will run into the problem where the players would feel the need to bring as many paladins as possible to get access to all the buffs the auras provide.

Which goes against the current Blizzard design philosophy where they want to bring the player, not the class.

1 Like

Not that i like when class stacking is a thing, but it woudl at least be nice if it happened on the paladins favor for once, since i doupt blizz will ever balance thing well enough for it to not be a thing.

1 Like

Assuming paladins keep a raid buff, it will probably be devo aura, and it will be baseline (not a talent). You can reference Mark of The Wild in the new druid trees as an example. So the next question is, “What will happen to the old auras?” Off the bat, I don’t think they will exist as they currently do, where you can have several auras and you swap between them. The swap idea itself was not that successful in Shadowlands, and arguably inartful in how it has worked in several expansions. With Dragonflight, you run into the problem that it is not really appropriate to just give them all baseline - it can be done, but it is sloppy and defeats the purpose of the new system. They could be talents in either tree for each spec, but I think the devs ought to do something simpler.

I think each spec would have devo baseline, and then each spec talent tree would have a unique way to upgrade the aura if the player so chooses to take it. To be clear, I mean that they would always have devo and its damage reduction, but the talent will add more power. Holy is the easiest to design because the devs can just reuse concentration aura. Protection probably should get sac aura that Holy used to have. It’s already been developed and tested in past expansions, and it would give prot paladin an added way to manage damage/healing. Ret is the hardest obviously, but I think the devs simply need to give them a buffed crusader aura. Something more than just mount speed. This is where creativity comes into play, but I would generally stress not to think it can be increased damage. Raid wide auras unique to a spec cannot increase damage, because then the raid would always need to take that spec, and tuning would turn into a nightmare. Off the top of my head, I could imagine the Ashebringer anti cc mechanic, perhaps, or some kind of movement speed proc, or maybe cd reduction. Ideally in my mind, it would be some sort of proc to help a ret stay on target better, similar to some of the passives it had in earlier expansions.

I do think it would be neat if devs instead made auras a big gameplay mechanic for paladins, but they would need to put in a lot of work, and based on when Dragonflight is planned, I doubt the devs can afford to do anything too radical. With this in mind, my suggestion above is geared towards something we can call feasible.

I dont think a single dev plays a paladin.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too surprised, I know that Ghostcrawler plays a paladin but he works at Riot now and that’s not going to help us.